Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
vafinest25

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS "Orange Crush"
Cam Help

Im looking at doing a CAM install, and just wanted to get some input from everyone about the best deals and what all comes with the kit. Im looking for a strong streetable cam. So far this is what im thinking about 3 bolt cam, dual caulve springs, 3 bolt upper cam gear, front cover gasket, water pump gasket, hardend pushrods 7.40 length, and front cover seal. This is the first recommendation i recieved from my club members. What do you think?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I just posted this in a couple of other cam threads but it is applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Cam selection is not the kind of thing I recommend asking around the forum for input on. While some things can be generalized, what is right for one car is not necessarily right for the next. Your current mods, future plans, and type of use all need to be taken into consideration. I would select a competent shop that you plan on working with and consulting with them to put together a well thought out build plan.

Here is a link to an article on our blog that discusses cam basics.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have the 445rwhp cam package from Jannetty Racing. Amazing package, no issues at all with drive-ability and the best part is the free email tune via SCT.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
You can look into my setup that is in my sig. I have several videos out. If doing a nice size cam, I would also looking at doing some gears. It is an awesome combo.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Give us a call we stock complete packages with everything you'll need for the camshaft swap. We have both single & 3 bolt camshafts in stock & ready to ship. With the TSP package you'll also get our double valve springs & hardened pushrods that have been spintron tested to make sure your valvetrain will be happy.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
All the above are great options and I would be happy to run any of them, but if you are looking for a cam a little more custom tailored for your needs and application contactl Ed @ Flow Tech Induction. I will be upgrading in two weeks myself and decided not to chase the peak hp numbers and instead focus on the power where I can use it in the powerband and give me the streetability I need.

http://flowtechinduction.com/
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 07-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Give us a call we stock complete packages with everything you'll need for the camshaft swap. We have both single & 3 bolt camshafts in stock & ready to ship. With the TSP package you'll also get our double valve springs & hardened pushrods that have been spintron tested to make sure your valvetrain will be happy.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Call Ron@Vengeance and he can help you with a package that is tailored for you with everything you need.

If you are doing a cam, I would suggest swapping the oil pump and tensioner at the same time and save yourself some time and effort from having to do it down the road.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafinest25 View Post
Im looking at doing a CAM install, and just wanted to get some input from everyone about the best deals and what all comes with the kit. Im looking for a strong streetable cam. So far this is what im thinking about 3 bolt cam, dual caulve springs, 3 bolt upper cam gear, front cover gasket, water pump gasket, hardend pushrods 7.40 length, and front cover seal. This is the first recommendation i recieved from my club members. What do you think?
Looks like a good list so far. I'd add a new oil pump, and an LS7 style timing chain dampener.

Just remember to measure for the correct size of push rods. Though 7.400" do seem to be more common, each engine is different, and may require a different length. No matter what anybody says or sells, there is not A cam package good for every car.

Also make sure to get it custom tuned, from somebody who knows what they're doing. A lot of cam packages come with a tune, and that is a good place to start, but again, all engines are different, and all engines need to be custom tuned, not only for the best power, but also for safety of your engine, transmission, and catalytic converters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
If you are doing a cam, I would suggest swapping the oil pump and tensioner at the same time and save yourself some time and effort from having to do it down the road.
Agreed 100%

- Jeremy

Last edited by JDP Sales; 07-27-2011 at 02:33 PM.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
I am always entertained by people who think a custom camshaft is automatically better than a TSP engine dyno developed camshaft. Our camshafts are engine dyno developed side by side with lots of other camshafts to make sure we're providing the best possible camshafts for the LS3 & L99 engines. It's really easy for someone to say this camshaft is better because it's custom. It's a lot harder when you have a engine dyno sitting in front of you to call your bluff. I'll put our camshafts against any competitors camshafts, if anyone has a magical custom grind feel free to bring it down for a side-by-side camshaft shootout.

We could easily ask my mom to custom select lobes off a lobe catalog. She'd be just about on par with most shops that sell LS camshafts. She doesn't own a engine dyno, and has never tested multiple camshafts side-by-side. The moral of the story is just because you can pick lobes off a lobe sheet doesn't mean you've actually done any testing.

What you have to ask yourself is do you want a camshaft that has been tested side-by-side next to numerous other camshafts in search of proven repeatable performance, or do you want a camshaft that was randomly selected out of a lobe catalog?
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
I am always entertained by people who think a custom camshaft is automatically better than a TSP engine dyno developed camshaft. Our camshafts are engine dyno developed side by side with lots of other camshafts to make sure we're providing the best possible camshafts for the LS3 & L99 engines. It's really easy for someone to say this camshaft is better because it's custom. It's a lot harder when you have a engine dyno sitting in front of you to call your bluff. I'll put our camshafts against any competitors camshafts, if anyone has a magical custom grind feel free to bring it down for a side-by-side camshaft shootout.

We could easily ask my mom to custom select lobes off a lobe catalog. She'd be just about on par with most shops that sell LS camshafts. She doesn't own a engine dyno, and has never tested multiple camshafts side-by-side. The moral of the story is just because you can pick lobes off a lobe sheet doesn't mean you've actually done any testing.

What you have to ask yourself is do you want a camshaft that has been tested side-by-side next to numerous other camshafts in search of proven repeatable performance, or do you want a camshaft that was randomly selected out of a lobe catalog?
is that really fair to say? i know y'all test the cams you develope but you don't know if others are testing theirs as well before they sell them.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Is this for an LS3 or L99??
Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Texas Speed has great cams. I went with them for my 4th gen cam,oil pump, etc and everything worked great. They also have great service after the sale.

Good luck on what/whom ever you pick.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote