Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Drives: Camaro Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I'm going to throw this out again but my opinion of a supercar is a car that is designed and built for no purpose other than to test the limitations of speed in an automobile. The ZL1 is speed based version of a Camaro. The Corvette is a sports car but the design has never started with unlimited speed in mind, once again the ZR1 is an upgraded speed focused corvette. GM has done very well making "fast" models of existing cars but never has started with a clean slate and said if we throw out the stops lets see what we can make, Bugatti has done this, Ferrari does this every time they design a new car. McLaren does this. That's why they are supercars and GM has never made a supercar, they have only made fast upgrades to existing models. I wonder what GM could do if they really let their hair down and built a no BS supercar.
Fully agree. They even say one of the criteria on the show. A supercar is extremely exclusive. Corvette , as badass as it is, will never be exclusive enough.
Devilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #44
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
$120,000 ZR1 Corvette isn't exclusive enough? Let us bring a modded ZR1 to the party and see how it stacks up against the euro rides.

Watched an episode of Top Gear UK and they were talking about the mod community in the states and how they don't really do that over there. Found that interesting, but wonder if it's true.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #45
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1
I don't really care if they think America doesn't have a supercar. It is sad when a supercar gets beat by a non supercar. Then it is not so super.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #46
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by owhite3003 View Post
I don't really care if they think America doesn't have a supercar. It is sad when a supercar gets beat by a non supercar. Then it is not so super.
The Stig showed everybody what a Pro Driver behind the wheel can do. I'd bet he could beat most of us with no track experience even if he was in something like a Camry or a SUV and anyone of us in our ZL1s or whatever it is you personally drive. If you have track experience you'd probably win, but the average driver I think the Stig would embarrass us. Be fun to give it a try, love to have the Stig in the passenger seat giving advice/pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #47
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Drives: Camaro Sold
The ZR1 was made for 5 years with 3800 being made the first three years. And around 5000 total.
Bugatti makes on average 40 Veyrons per year.
There are probably only 40 Koenigsegg CCRX's in the world.
Only 400 Ferrari Enzo's were produced.
78 Saleen S7's
10 total Hennessey Venoms.
That is exclusive.
There are some that have similar numbers as the ZR1 but way more expensive. The ZR1 production was limited by orders too. Most of the others that I posted and many others are limited by the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
$120,000 ZR1 Corvette isn't exclusive enough? Let us bring a modded ZR1 to the party and see how it stacks up against the euro rides.

Watched an episode of Top Gear UK and they were talking about the mod community in the states and how they don't really do that over there. Found that interesting, but wonder if it's true.
Devilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #48
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
So you agree with Top Gear that of the big three only Ford with the F1 has attempted to build a Supercar. I have to agree that jessrayo stated it very well and only Ford gave it a shot. Love to see GM attempt a Supercar which means there wouldn't be any lower end versions. Haven't seen a V-8 Veyron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post

The ZR1 has supercar performance, but not exclusivity. The fact you can buy base model Corvette for half the price is the main problem. Supercars don't have cheap base models.

The Ford GT qualifies, because it was a car on a bespoke chassis designed from the ground up with no compromises for a "base" model. As far as exclusivity, look at the value of a used ZR1 vs. a FGT. Nice low mileage examples of the GT are selling in the quarter million dollar range.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #49
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
The ZR1 has supercar performance, but not exclusivity. The fact you can buy base model Corvette for half the price is the main problem. Supercars don't have cheap base models.

The Ford GT qualifies, because it was a car on a bespoke chassis designed from the ground up with no compromises for a "base" model. As far as exclusivity, look at the value of a used ZR1 vs. a FGT. Nice low mileage examples of the GT are selling in the quarter million dollar range.
That's a good point, never thought of it like that.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #50
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Started reading this but have to admit the arguments changed my mind when I got to the end. A high retail value does not a Supercar make. If that all it was there are lots of expensive cars that are not super cars. Have to chime in and say I also agree that there are a lot of folks buying upgrades to their cars and a proper race driver will hand their a$$ to them in a nothing'ish car due to driver skill. I took some classes and had some track time with experienced race drivers and I have to say it was eye opening. My instructor took my wife's 4 door, 4 cylinder automatic Nissan and did a better time than the guys in performance sports cars. It's not easy to drive fast and if it's a Supercar, ZL1, ZR1 or whatever you will get a serious beat down by a good driver. JMHO

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #51
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Tanner made the Merc SLS AMG Black Edition sound like the Holly Grail! Even called it a Muscle Car in the Supercar category.

Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #52
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
What's Top Gear? Is this like a car show or something?
OMG... I'm in my office and almost fell out of my chair laughing, dirty looks from other employees..... classic from the stig. Made my day.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote