Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #85
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
It's your car, if you enjoy it, thats all that counts. The reason you don't buy the SS is because of the money, so it's ridiculous for them to ask that. Its the same as if someone asked someone driving an SS why they didnt buy the ZL1, or someone driving the ZL1 why they don't get a Z28. We all have lives outside our cars, and you can't enjoy a car that becomes a burden on the other areas of your life. You enjoy your V6, so enjoy it, and learn not to listen to what other people say. Its your car, nobody elses.

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #86
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
There is a story behind this. The brand manager for Corvette was not keen on using the LS1 in the Camaro. So the Fbody brand manager came to an agreement. They would list the advertised HP at an RPM below peak HP.

On a dyno, the 345HP Vette put out the same or less rwhp as the 305HP Camaro.

My 2000 SS was badged at 320, but put out an uncorrected 312 to the tires, and trapped 108mph stock (which fits nicely with about 360HP).

It was possible for a good driver on a sticky track to put a M6 1998-2002 Fbody into the 12's. In fact, easier than putting a LS1 vette into the 12's.
Yes, I have seen quite a few LS1 Fbodies pull 300+ at the wheels, stock all the way down to the air filter.

I have a very close friend that has a '01 WS6 that ran in the 12's from day one on stock tires. With headers, gears, short belt, and DR's it went 12.0 in the 1/4....not to shabby for a internally stock WS6
Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #87
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I don't let things like that bother me, because half the time they're probably driving a POS.

My favorite response to the you should've got a v8 is, what are you driving?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #88
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
just a bunch of jealous,frustrated persons who definitly ENVY YOU. pretty shure they would take your car if,it was offered free.

you bought it for you, and not the others. turn the page and enjoy your camaro!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #89
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Not to sound like an ass, but....
Then you should have stopped right there.

Last edited by NicksVSix; 04-26-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #90
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
OP, just have to be secure with yourself, enjoy every day with what you have, and only fools are influenced by status determined by others.

Back in 1967 started driving on my 16th birthday and attended the 'rich kids' high school. It was all about status: clothing label's you wore, car you drove, home address etc., and because this was the South "who are your people" meaning your families background. I was fortunate both my parents grew up in the Depression and as children were very poor, did not believe in debt, and passed that trait to me. In the 1960s suppose my parents were considered to be in the upper end of middle class (when we had a middle class). I drove a late model T-Bird to school which I talked Dad into buying new years before I started to drive. Loved that T-Bird. After high school my parents paid to send me to college in Miami. I still hated status, still drove my beloved T-Bird, became a long-haired hippy before I discovered disco. Don't hate me, it was a wonderful time to be young. Have to admit I did have only one car that was the result of peer pressure. My Dad borrowed and totalled my beloved 1963 T-Bird so he gave me his 1966 T-Bird. Dad borrowed that one, totaled the 1966. Dad then told me go to his old Air Force buddy at a Chevy dealership. Dad gave me a blank check, told me don't get crazy (meaning don't buy a Camaro). So I bought a fully optioned V8 1970 Nova SS. Dad thought I made a good purchase buying a simple Nova and I hit the road back to Miami and school a few days later. Next month Dad received the auto insurance bill for the V8 SS Nova but me and the Nova were already out of state. Decades later Dad use to joke with me on the time I stuck it to him for wrecking two T-Birds.

Strange but true the 1st half of my career as an interior designer made my bucks giving the rich and famous all the "stuff" and status of "stuff" they wanted. It was a wild ride in the 80s and early 90s of crazy free-spending super rich clients in NYC but never lost myself in the glam and needing personal "stuff" to prove my status to others.

When I pre-ordered and paid cash for my 2011 2LT V6/A6 in May 2010, my Camaro was exactly the way I wanted it. Could have paid cash for a V-8 SS but why? I drive about 120 miles per month, mostly stop n go traffic with pot hole streets. Summers, drive my low mileage 1998 Riviera which I store winters. After more than 3-1/2 years of ownership still love my V6 Camaro and could care less what others think. Did not order my personal Camaro for status, bought it because I love the body style and its plus 300 HP V6 turned out to be a little extra bonus.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #91
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Tale as old as time, man. Best get used to it.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #92
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
I suggest never leaving the house, especially with your car, and stop going online. If you do, do not speak to anyone because they are not you and will not know the correct answers or opinions that are already in your head which will only lead to further frustration when socializing.

Perhaps starting the day with a picture of you and your cars doing the following will help.
Are you this endearing in real life, or just on the internet?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #93
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Yes, I have seen quite a few LS1 Fbodies pull 300+ at the wheels, stock all the way down to the air filter.

I have a very close friend that has a '01 WS6 that ran in the 12's from day one on stock tires. With headers, gears, short belt, and DR's it went 12.0 in the 1/4....not to shabby for a internally stock WS6
did not read all the post, but you caught my eye.in 2002 when i bought my
ws6 ,it went straight on the dyno.pulled 305hp@5250rpm ,326TQ@4250rpm. [at the rear wheels] the guy told me that, all the f bodys had vette power. it was underestimated from gm. i never went to the track to verify my quarter mile speed. heck i was happy with what i got.

sorry OP for beeing off topic........
Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #94
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
If i lived anywhere in kansas I would be frustrated.....not sounding like an ass
Old 04-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #95
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
OP, just have to be secure with yourself, enjoy every day with what you have, and only fools are influenced by status determined by others.

Back in 1967 started driving on my 16th birthday and attended the 'rich kids' high school. It was all about status: clothing label's you wore, car you drove, home address etc., and because this was the South "who are your people" meaning your families background. I was fortunate both my parents grew up in the Depression and as children were very poor, did not believe in debt, and passed that trait to me. In the 1960s suppose my parents were considered to be in the upper end of middle class (when we had a middle class). I drove a late model T-Bird to school which I talked Dad into buying new years before I started to drive. Loved that T-Bird. After high school my parents paid to send me to college in Miami. I still hated status, still drove my beloved T-Bird, became a long-haired hippy before I discovered disco. Don't hate me, it was a wonderful time to be young. Have to admit I did have only one car that was the result of peer pressure. My Dad borrowed and totalled my beloved 1963 T-Bird so he gave me his 1966 T-Bird. Dad borrowed that one, totaled the 1966. Dad then told me go to his old Air Force buddy at a Chevy dealership. Dad gave me a blank check, told me don't get crazy (meaning don't buy a Camaro). So I bought a fully optioned V8 1970 Nova SS. Dad thought I made a good purchase buying a simple Nova and I hit the road back to Miami and school a few days later. Next month Dad received the auto insurance bill for the V8 SS Nova but me and the Nova were already out of state. Decades later Dad use to joke with me on the time I stuck it to him for wrecking two T-Birds.

Strange but true the 1st half of my career as an interior designer made my bucks giving the rich and famous all the "stuff" and status of "stuff" they wanted. It was a wild ride in the 80s and early 90s of crazy free-spending super rich clients in NYC but never lost myself in the glam and needing personal "stuff" to prove my status to others.

When I pre-ordered and paid cash for my 2011 2LT V6/A6 in May 2010, my Camaro was exactly the way I wanted it. Could have paid cash for a V-8 SS but why? I drive about 120 miles per month, mostly stop n go traffic with pot hole streets. Summers, drive my low mileage 1998 Riviera which I store winters. After more than 3-1/2 years of ownership still love my V6 Camaro and could care less what others think. Did not order my personal Camaro for status, bought it because I love the body style and its plus 300 HP V6 turned out to be a little extra bonus.
Man, I wish my parents bought me a couple of T-birds and a nova lol. I had to wait til I was 18 to even get my license. I bought an older Oldsmobile Bravada from my aunt for $1000 and 2 months later the heater core cracked and leaked into the passenger side of my car. I drove the whole winter 60 miles a day in a car without heat, it was god awful. That summer i was determined to buy something else. I tricked Toyota into $2000 for it and they accepted not knowing about the heater. Got a Scion TC and kept it for 3 years, hit 25-26 and my mom, grandpa and grandma all died in the same time frame. So I flipped my whole life upside down and bought a Corolla, it was so boring and for old people. So at 27 I traded that in, threw down $3000 and took home the Camaro I should have bought from the beginning!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #96
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
You guys are too funny. Most of you take what I say WAY to seriously....lol

I get the impression some of you feel like you're singled out in the Camaro community because you chose to buy a V6 instead of a SS...I make poke fun, but I really have nothing against you guys. Love your cars, to hell with everyone else. You take this shit way to personal when people ask you questions...People ask me all the time why my car has Black rims and a black hood, then they ask why didn't I buy the ZL1, do I get all butt hurt and start threads about how I am sick of people asking why I didn't buy the next higher model? No...because I love my car for what it is.

Back in the day, when I owned the WS6, we got the same crap from the vette owners "You should have gotten a Vette, fbodies are garbage" Then I would hand them their ass at the track, lol. there were Vete owners with the elitist, better than you attitude, so I feel your pain. you cant control someone else's level of doucheness...but you can control how you react to it...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #97
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
It will be interesting to see if the twin turbo V6 (CTS Vsport) engine becomes available in the next Camaro. I'm going to venture a guess that with simple mods, it will push 500+ HP.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #98
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
It will be interesting to see if the twin turbo V6 (CTS Vsport) engine becomes available in the next Camaro. I'm going to venture a guess that with simple mods, it will push 500+ HP.
It brings an interesting choice... V8 for traditions sake, or v6 for performance.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!

Closed Thread