Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #29
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
all i can say is that mine sounds much better after disconnecting the center speaker. Still the worst system I have ever had in the 30 or so vehicles iv owned.
real ZL1 wheels 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported IM/TB, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, American Racing Headers 1 7/8" long system w/ cats H pipe to Hurst Flowmaster NPP mufflers. Full 1LE suspension package with BMR adjustable sway bars and links.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #30
darcycook

Drives: 2013 v6 auto 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Even with a DSP, the only single legitimate use of a center channel is for watching movies or a show using THX, DTS or otherwise compatible 5.1 data stream. This does not exist in music recordings and has been extremely well documented to degrade the stereo listening environment/experience.
ok im convinced whats the best way to disconnecte just cut the wires that connect at the speaker?
darcycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #31
JCunningham

dont cut them just disconnect the speaker. it unplugs
real ZL1 wheels 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported IM/TB, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, American Racing Headers 1 7/8" long system w/ cats H pipe to Hurst Flowmaster NPP mufflers. Full 1LE suspension package with BMR adjustable sway bars and links.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #32
darcycook

Drives: 2013 v6 auto 1LT
unplugs at the speaker connectors? did it sounds better yep!

Last edited by darcycook; 11-03-2016 at 01:28 PM.
darcycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #33
JCunningham

yes there is one plug on it. just unplug it and put the speaker back in or leave it out doesnt matter.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #34
Yknjack
Yknjack

Drives: 2014 Yellow RS Vert
Couldn't you cover it with a book or something to try out what it would sound like?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #35
Vintendo

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convert
Did it today... I would have to say that it sounds more so like what I remember "stereo" sounding like. Not sure but I think there might be slightly less distortion.

Personal myself I have now started to really think about just how crappy the stock speakers are.

To me ...they sound (if I'm using the term correctly) "muddy". Almost like the treble never really peaks and is clear through the rest of the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #36
NiteNite 2SS

Drives: 2015 2SS LE. Murdered out.
Cool Stereo upgrades

So did you upgrade all speaker? What did you install & how did you install the amp and keep stock Dept?
NiteNite 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #37
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I agree with killing the center channel. Considering I have a recording studio in my house and have been into music and high end audio for 30+ years, I feel I offer reasonable advice.
It sounds as if a couple people on here have heard a few sales pitches and bought in to them pretty heavily. Yes, there are some systems that can effectively create a center channel signal and have advanced signal processing. My home theater has a Yamaha processor that does a good job of it and can make a 2 channel source sound great over 7 channels... but your car doesn't have that. The time correction offered by advanced signal processors is interesting to play with in cars- because the distances are SO small. It's not something 99.99% of car audio enthusiasts need to tinker with... and it's expensive to do it well.
The center channel in the Camaro is horrible. It's muddy, ruins the imaging and was a horrible idea. Don't confuse it with a center channel with a processor in an $8K high end system.
The sound stage in a Camaro is hard to get tweaked, in my opinion, because the speaker locations. I ended up using a vintage AudioControl ESP-2 to "fake" it a bit and create the perception of a proper front stage.
Short version- get rid of that center channel!!!
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #38
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss Convertible
How does one get to the plug on the Center speaker? Does the speaker pull up in some way?
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #39
JCunningham

you have to pry up the speaker grill with a plastic bar then the speaker is held in with 2 7mm bolts.