Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Obsession

So I've had my Camaro for almost 5 months now. I've become very obsessed with keeping it clean, so much so, that I didn't want to take it to my mother-in-laws tonight. The reason is this: it rained yesterday, and the father-in-law mowed the lawn today. I knew there would be grass clippings all over the driveway, plus a big puddle at the beginning of the driveway. My wife asked if I would drive there, (we bring our 2 year old over on Wed nights because he loves her spaghetti). Anyway, I said I didn't want to, and it hurt my wife's feelings. I will admit that I'm not how I said I would be once I bought this car. I think ahead to the destination and decide if I want to take the Camaro or not. I promised I wouldn't be this way, but I am. My wife is upset about this, and wishes I would come around to being able to take our family more places in it. I see her side, but don't know how to turn this situation around. It's almost like I can't enjoy this beautiful machine like I should, because of the obsession of keeping it clean and looking new. Am I the only one...and I think I need to change this. HELP!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
DUDE cleaning it after it gets dirty is as much fun as driving it to get dirty SHOW IT OFF :0 Let her drive it to Grandma's. OR Buy her ONE say a LS and use hers to go shopping and get dirty Problem Settled
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
So I've had my Camaro for almost 5 months now. I've become very obsessed with keeping it clean, so much so, that I didn't want to take it to my mother-in-laws tonight. The reason is this: it rained yesterday, and the father-in-law mowed the lawn today. I knew there would be grass clippings all over the driveway, plus a big puddle at the beginning of the driveway. My wife asked if I would drive there, (we bring our 2 year old over on Wed nights because he loves her spaghetti). Anyway, I said I didn't want to, and it hurt my wife's feelings. I will admit that I'm not how I said I would be once I bought this car. I think ahead to the destination and decide if I want to take the Camaro or not. I promised I wouldn't be this way, but I am. My wife is upset about this, and wishes I would come around to being able to take our family more places in it. I see her side, but don't know how to turn this situation around. It's almost like I can't enjoy this beautiful machine like I should, because of the obsession of keeping it clean and looking new. Am I the only one...and I think I need to change this. HELP!
You can wash it once your done, sometimes I don't want to drive my car but if its to the point of another getting mad that I wont drive I will drive for sure. I just go home and spend two hours washing it the "Adam's" way.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
I am that way but I drive it now. Knowing that Adams and 30 minutes of my spare time will take care of any minor dirt i might pick up. I have been known to clean my car at my mothers, giant food parking lot and today at the dentist.
Cobra XRS-9965 Radar Detector
Rider Graphix XM hood spears
Big Worm Vinyl for bowties
Emblem pros XM Badges/Emblems
Airaid Cold Air Intake

NEXT UP: Interior LED conversion/footwell lights
ON DECK: Engine Cover
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
My Camaro is not my DD. I often want to take my car somewhere, but I think ahead of the parking situation, and wanting to avoid door dings, I choose to drive my truck. Kinda the same thing, but I have other vehicles to get me around. Not sure how people can be that protective if thats your DD. You don't say if you have another car.

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
First glance....thought the title said Obesity LOL
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
My Camaro is not my DD. I often want to take my car somewhere, but I think ahead of the parking situation, and wanting to avoid door dings, I choose to drive my truck. Kinda the same thing, but I have other vehicles to get me around. Not sure how people can be that protective if thats your DD. You don't say if you have another car.
I do have another vehicle, my truck. Thing is, the toddler seats are in the Camaro and my wife's car. I took it out of the truck when I bought the car. Now, the back seat in the truck is up, and some of my bigger tools are back there so I have them on the job everyday. Camaro's not really my DD, but it's my non-working hours driver.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
I could have written this post. I have owned 3 corvettes over the last 14 years (click on my toys link to see them) and the last 2 were basically show car queens. I always heard this from my wife: "why did you pay that much for a car that you let sit in the garage ?" so I got the camaro after selling my 1996 Collector Edition LT4 vette. I told my wife I wanted a rear seat so my Grandkids could come with me to car shows/cruise nights. they have only been in the rear a couple of times and it bugged me because they kept putting their feet on the back of the seats. Should have focused on how much fun they were having. look, we see these cars as special, and they are, not everyone can afford them.. So we want to keep them pristine and new like but they will decay and get older despite what we do. So drive them and be proud you have it dirt washes off..why save it for the next owner like I did with my 2002 z06 only putting 1200 miles on it in the two years I owned it...

Bob
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I'm obsessive about my Camaro too but its also my daily driver and I came to grips with the realiziation that, "shit happens." I've been lucky and drive defensively but it happens. After 34 months of driving this car I've collected a ding or two and rock chips and replaced one windshield and a tire.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I drive my car wherever, whenever. The only consideration I take is making sure I park away from others. My girl ain't afraid of dirt, grass, or gravel. 6,000 miles and 6 months, no scratches and only three or five tiny rock chips
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i also think twice about bring the car to certain places, its really annoys me. but i simply cannot help it.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Married with children there are very few things that are yours all yours and subject to your complete control.

Try to find something your wife has that is comparable (or get her something) and maybe she will understand.

It's just a stupid car to her. You do sound anal retentive, but I understand.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I've been married a lot of years, one word of advice, never put things before your wife and kids. Things can be replaced, a wife and kids should be forever. Your wife is right to be pissed that you put them second.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
lugnut65

Drives: 12 2SS/RS 45th L99
Believe me there are people just like you with there cars I have had mine for 6 months,and have 650 miles on it I keep it in garage most of time and never drive to walmart lol I just think its the pride of owning one and wanting to take care of it
Its not my DD,so I know that makes a differance I must say it would be nice to get a ls to be my DD and actually drive it