Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #99
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Agreed.. Mine was a defective balancer and belt. and programming.. The poor guy with the L99 getting rebuilt on the lift next to it wasn't so lucky..

An L99 trans in a Camaro getting rebuilt? I'm sure there may have been a
couple here in the last 9 years on camaro5, but I must have missed them.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #100
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Happy to drive my first ever appliance in our Sorento SLX. Ranked near the top in its class and everything about it shows. Nothing chevy makes is even close to its refinement and quality. Kia isnt what they used to be at all, and anyone that buys one these days is getting the last laugh.
Agreed. I bought an Optima the first year they came out in 2011 which was right around the time when they overhauled the company. I was VERY impressed with the quality and attention to detail in that car, it wasn't like any Kia I had ever seen before. I took the dash apart to replace the stereo and every part was interlocked and padded which explained why the cabin was so quiet. Even the little metal clips that held the pieces together were padded! I've taken dashes apart in a lot of domestic cars and had never seen anything like that, it's like what you would expect in a BMW, Mercedes, etc. I remember joking about buying stock in KIA back then, wish I had.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #101
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Agreed. I bought an Optima the first year they came out in 2011 which was right around the time when they overhauled the company. I was VERY impressed with the quality and attention to detail in that car, it wasn't like any Kia I had ever seen before. I took the dash apart to replace the stereo and every part was interlocked and padded which explained why the cabin was so quiet. Even the little metal clips that held the pieces together were padded! I've taken dashes apart in a lot of domestic cars and had never seen anything like that, it's like what you would expect in a BMW, Mercedes, etc. I remember joking about buying stock in KIA back then, wish I had.
I hear you. People running them down havent been paying attention to what Kia has been doing. I catch "it" everyday from my friends for buying my wife a Kia until they actually see it in person. It's probably the nicest SUV I've ever owned ,and Ive had a lot of them. Just opening and closing the doors showes the quality. No tinny feel like the equinox we test drove. We mainly ended up with the Kia, because they also are the only ones to offer a V6 in that size of SUV.

Anyway OP, I loved all the Gen5 Camaros I had except for the one lemon, but once I seen the Gen6 and drove one it truly is no contest that the Gen6 is better in everyway. Looks are subjective ,and there is no right or wrong in that department. I wouldn't make a decision to buy any car based on what someone says about looks.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #102
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
They ask for less weight and a more nimple car. Those were the net results. You cant have your cake and eat it too.
But not everybody wanted it at “any cost necessary”
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #103
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
I'd personally go w/ the 5th gen 1LE, but my bias is likely showing. LS3's in stock form might be down a few hp on the newer motors, but they're also incredibly tried / true, and have very strong aftermarket representation.

I don't think 6th gen SS's are ugly per se, but are missing something in the design department. I certainly think GM hit all the right notes with the 6th gen ZL1 from a visual point of view though.

All of them are better than the upcoming refresh.

Agreed on all counts!! The new ZL1 is an awesome looking machine.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #104
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
5th gen is iconic. 6th gen is not.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #105
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
I haven't read through all the pages of responses, so i apologize if this has already been brought up.

the 5th gen is a little cramped on the interior, the 6th is downright claustrophobic, if you are a larger individual like myself. 6'5" 225lbs. so there is that to consider as well.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #106
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott's45 View Post
I haven't read through all the pages of responses, so i apologize if this has already been brought up.

the 5th gen is a little cramped on the interior, the 6th is downright claustrophobic, if you are a larger individual like myself. 6'5" 225lbs. so there is that to consider as well.
At your height you will find most cars a little tight lol. Im 5 11 and 235lbs and find the 5th gen pretty comfortable. Shoulder width for the seats in some cars i find to be not very good....the 5th gen for me is pretty good overall.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #107
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
5th gen is iconic. 6th gen is not.
Thats all there is to it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #108
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
The Stinger GT is hardly an appliance.
4 door though,if they made a 2 door i might like it a little better.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #109
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Ok. I’m relatively new to the post 4th gen Camaro scene so I’m just getting up to speed on this squabble.

Seriously - people actually think the 6th Gen is ugly? I can see having a preference of one over the other for various reasons but to say the 6th gen is an ugly car is really a bit hard to understand.
You are right. I said it was ugly but I also called the 5th slow early in the thread. Mainly because I thought the thread was flame bait which it is. The
OP started this and pretty much disappeared as usual......

What I should have said is I find the 6th awkward looking with the kookie side rear window. It looks weird to me.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #110
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
They ask for less weight and a more nimple car. Those were the net results. You cant have your cake and eat it too.
A previous generation Corvette has almost twice the storage capacity (admittedly oddly shaped), and is still about 400 lb lighter than a 2016 Camaro.

No back seats, but in real world use, our back seats serve no real purpose to begin with.

Just sayin'
Old 06-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #111
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
lost a 163 lbs and can fit in the 6th gen but the price tag is the biggest turn off. knock 6-10 K off the price and I would consider it but love the size of my 5th gen, but at some point the age will catch up with it, might be a few more years but some things are inevitable, when I have to part with it, will be a 50/50 proposition, might go a more practical SUV or 6th gen, will take that fork in the road when it comes!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #112
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Car note was too high or more power than you could handle?
I couldn't resist
Nope Lost in Harvey under 5 ft of water. I hated the A8 auto. so I went back to 5 gen like my first 2012 track car w/ 6spd auto. I loved it.
Track times at TWS (Texas World speedway) was better in this car but some straights were slower. Track time was shorter, the A8 would overheat.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote