Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
i got magnaflow on my silverado, it opened up about 1000 miles. i started towing my boat and it opened even more
Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
socalicrusin

Drives: 2010 Camaro2SS/RS Summit White A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
most exhausts take some time to break in.

the Magnaflow I put on my car brand new didnt sound like I thought it would. 200 miles later, the tone had deepened and strengthened. my buddies silverado.... when he first got it, you couldnt even hear the exhaust, after about 1000 miles it changed tone and now sounds a lot more aggressive (stock muffler).
I agree...My 08' TBSS sounds really aggressive (stock) after putting miles on it! When I first got it you could barley hear a thing! Now everyone (including the service dept, oddly) asked if I went after market!

I'm going to go GMPP axle back anyway on my ordered Camaro to see if it's better than stock...after hearing a new stock SS it's didn't sound as good as my TBSS did when it was new....

Last edited by socalicrusin; 07-16-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
socalicrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
rgrizzard

Drives: Wanting New Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
most exhausts take some time to break in.

the Magnaflow I put on my car brand new didnt sound like I thought it would. 200 miles later, the tone had deepened and strengthened. my buddies silverado.... when he first got it, you couldnt even hear the exhaust, after about 1000 miles it changed tone and now sounds a lot more aggressive (stock muffler).
Exhausts(no moving parts) don't break in, only engines do....
Please explain how an exhaust would break in.
rgrizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSwagr View Post
Hi, I have visited this site for a long time, but never registered to post until now....

To avoid a possible voided warranty, I had the GM performance axle back upgrade exhaust w/tips (part # 92206992) put on today...When I heard it, I was sick to my stomach that I had paid $1027.86 (labor & tax included) for not much more than fancy tips. The difference in the sound was minimal...the tone was lower, but was un-impressive. It was not that much different than stock. At first start up, it sounded a "little" loud, but at idle you couldn't even hear it over the fan noise. I knew I was the first for the dealership to install, so I took it for a drive to see if it was better. Still very disappointing...I had the stereo turned completely off and the a/c turned down and still could not hear the exhaust when I "got on it". I told them I was not at all happy with it and to take it out and put my stock exhaust back on...they agreed. They also furnished me a new Avalanche to drive. I think they knew and agreed it was not good.
And by the way, I was there to get a rattle from the passenger door, top speaker and wind noise/window marking checked out, when they told me they could put my exhaust on as well.
I'm going to do some more research to see what I can do without voiding my warranty. I don't want to risk that, not yet anyway. I also have the cold air intake on order.

Thanks for the information. I was very afraid of that. All the GMPP axle back exhausts I've heard are very quiet. The Camaro needs a nice aggressive sound to match its look. I would also be a little disappointed if I got the
GMPP exhaust and my car was still very quiet like stock.

What you need to do is get some long tube headers. Your car will sound great with them, and they make real good HP. Long tubes headers are probably the best mod for a Camaro.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrizzard View Post
Exhausts(no moving parts) don't break in, only engines do....
Please explain how an exhaust would break in.
while there are no moving parts (that you can see) there is a period of time usuialy required to let the metal components settle on an atomic level. In this period of time there is a substiantial level of expansion and contraction. There are many definitions to this, but in order to keep it simple... its called the break in.

When you have a "standard" exhaust, you typicly will not notice a "break-in". Those exhaust are designed to be quiet in the first place...
also the fiberglass packing in the exhaust absorbs some of the sound. Over the years it gets impacted with the exhaust debris and carbon buildup and will have less ability to absorb sound.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote