Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
glad you didnt kill someone. GM should be required to tell you this. Pzeros are not to be used in temps below 40 degrees. They are Summer tires only. They can come apart if driven below 40F. They are not safe to drive on even dry roads below 40 and definitely not safe in ice or snow. Do not drive on these tires again. Get snow tires if you want to drive in snow. I bet you could get a ticket for improper equipment or something like that. If you hit someone on those tires and they take you to court they will win. If you kill somebody you will be doing time.
Can you provide us with an example of a tire disintegrating while in use due to cold temperatures? I searched the NHTSA crash statistics and there's no data for that, i.e. it never once happened, ever.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
I wasn't comfortable on the PZeros on a 50 degree morning! Up here in Boston we have had an odd fall. 50 or lower in the morning, damn near 70 by the evening(today was normalish got up to 52). Those suckers were squirrelly before warm up in the mornings. I could not imagine going 25 miles on them dry when cold enough to snow, let alone IN the snow.

Glad you made it alive, car intact.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
Can you provide us with an example of a tire disintegrating while in use due to cold temperatures? I searched the NHTSA crash statistics and there's no data for that, i.e. it never once happened, ever.
I think he means the cracking. The rubber has a chance to crack when driven in temperatures too cold.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm
Old 11-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Its ****ing scum bags that think they can drive on summer performance tires in the snow that piss me off. How about you pull a 5 year old kid out from under the dash of a S10 blazer because someone was driving on summer only tires and slid into oncoming traffic. Had the mother half cut out befor we found the kid. the engine was on the other side of the road and the drive shaft went through the rear end they hit so hard. Guy that hit then didnt have a scratch.
The streets are dangerous and you are bitching about tires on cars? Sir have you looked around and paid attention to the shit people drive? The snow isn't stopping them from needing to get places either, at least the nicer cars actually have tread on the tires. And then there are those annoying scooters, snow doesn't stop them either.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
He has the Pirelli Neros on a v6 which I believe are not as bad as the Pirellis on an SS.
No doubt... but apparently still not good enough to handle well in a few inches of snow.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The snow has to be fluffy light snow for the Pirellis to work and just a few inches. Heavy snow or ice forget about it..... I ditched the Pirellis at 12000 miles for all season high performance and glad I did. The rears were almost at the wear bars and I would not even do any burnouts just occasionally loose traction. I survived a couple years on them in the rainy NW but don't recommend them..lol Not only the 220 wear rating being so low but they loved to fling crap at the gills....

I drove very carefully the times I have driven to work always staying below 25 mph and have to report to work. One time though I had to call in as My car would not make it a block and I had to take it off traction control and burnout to get thing free and back home it was icy on the snow. I am hoping these 500 wear rating Toyo proxes 4+ do better as I think they are about the same in traction rating but supposed to be more friendly in the rain. And should last a lot longer and do not have the asymmetrical tread like the Pirellis.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
A couple years ago in this Camaro i actually got stuck on I-15 in Utah. I had gone to SLC to see my kid's, and as i left it started snowing. About 2 hrs south is a town called Nephi, and about 20 min south of there is a 6-7% grade. I had traction control on and traction control actually stopped me in the middle of I-15 in a storm. I am now stranded and having a WTF moment. After about 3 or 4 minutes trying to decide what im going to do. I took traction control off put it in 2nd and moved ever so slightly, the car immediately set sideways and i buried the throttle. I was able to shift into 3rd and for the next 4 miles (no exaggeration) as im climbing a 6% grade in 3rd the speedo is showing 85 MPH im probably doing 20, feathering the throttle, completely sideways, snowing heavily, at midnight, absolutely no outside lighting im powering up this 6% grade. I remember seeing a semi coming up behind me, as he got close he could obviously see what was going on, he backed off and that was the last i saw of him. At the time it was pucking insane and nothing about it was fun, but now sitting here, oh hell yeah, what a rush. The point of my story is, these Pzero's aren't for snowy conditions.
Attached Images

Last edited by cornerspeed92; 11-17-2015 at 08:41 PM.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #22
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
To clarify, the Pirelli summer tires are OEM parts for the 20 factory inch wheels? I have the rare factory 19 inch wheels with PZERO tires; those are the all season right?
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #23
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
On my 2010 2LT with 19" wheels and Pirelli all season...I drove 70k miles before trading it. Year round in Minnesota. Just gotta be smart about it all.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:21 AM   #24
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
I have P Zero Neros on my Mustang but I put Snows on the back in the winter and I NEVER had any issues with the front ones even in close to single digit temps they worked just fine.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #25
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
Couldn't even provide an example and just left. All talk.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #26
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
glad you didnt kill someone. GM should be required to tell you this. Pzeros are not to be used in temps below 40 degrees. They are Summer tires only. They can come apart if driven below 40F. They are not safe to drive on even dry roads below 40 and definitely not safe in ice or snow. Do not drive on these tires again. Get snow tires if you want to drive in snow. I bet you could get a ticket for improper equipment or something like that. If you hit someone on those tires and they take you to court they will win. If you kill somebody you will be doing time.
Many people are guilty of this. Either running summer tires or bald tires going into winter.

Its not funny at all OP. Stop putting everyone else at risk.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #27
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Its ****ing scum bags that think they can drive on summer performance tires in the snow that piss me off. How about you pull a 5 year old kid out from under the dash of a S10 blazer because someone was driving on summer only tires and slid into oncoming traffic. Had the mother half cut out befor we found the kid. the engine was on the other side of the road and the drive shaft went through the rear end they hit so hard. Guy that hit then didnt have a scratch.
That accident, as horrible as it was, has a lot more to do with a person driving way to fast for conditions than what tires were on the car. No matter what tires are on a car, an accident of that severity is not going to happen at 5 - 10 MPH. You are making way more out of the tires than need be. If OP was moving slowly, he may ruin his tires, but is not a huge risk to anyone else. I grew up in northern Illinois and learned how to drive in the snow. If you're from an area that sees snow in winter, you know what I have said is true, so stop beating someone up if you don't even know how fast he was going.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #28
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Just after I purchased my car my mom had a stroke and was put on life support, knowing her wishes I had to take her off. She lived in Missouri, I live in Texas. This was when Texas was hit with a major ice storm (2 years ago), I had no time to get my tires switched out, and about 30 miles north of Austin I ran into the heavy ice. At one point I was stopped on I-35 no grade, flat as can be sitting on a sheet of ice. When the traffic started to move, I let out the clutch and I just sat there. I turned off TC and the tires just slowly rotated, the car was going no where fast.

I did find out I could back up just fine, and moved from the passing lane to a clear'er right lane. The rest of the trip was filled with pucker moments like when going 25 MPH you are suddenly sideways pointed at a very steep ditch.

A 10 hour trip took me 20 hours. Never will I own PZero's again.