Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
WoW!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #30
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
WoW!!!!
Lol... Peter Basica and the company is Pedders with no "L". If he wants to take the brace off that is okay, I'm still going to leave mine on.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #31
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
My love is definitely road courses. To be honest nobody on a small budget runs forced induction at road courses because it is so hard to deal with the heat. Kenny Bell seems to be a little worse so not a consideration for me. I also like top speed runs and would love to do Bonneville. The silver state thing looks fun if you could qualify in a faster class than entry level. I tried to google Pete at Peddlers and got mostly stuff about bicycle racing.....lol. Any more hints if I should know who he is?
It is Pedders.... not peddlers.

http://www.peddersusa.com/
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #32
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I don't know "Pete" from Peddlers at all and I have no idea what he said. If he said a strut tower brace "does not do anything" I guess I will say he is lying. I know it makes a car chassis stiffer by closing the top half of what would be a "u" shaped structure. I know cars continue to get stiffer and stiffer chassis. That is part of the reason why a lightweight Camaro still weighs 4000+ pounds. But adding that strut brace stiffens the structure just like adding a roof over the convertible. Does Pete say the roof does not do anything? I'm really not trying to get in a fight here. I have driven many cars with various levels of chassis stability and that brace is going to stiffen up the car under heavy corning loads. If you are good you can drive a convertible fast on the track but a good driver almost always laps faster with the hardtop than the vert because the chassis is stiffer. That generally makes the car more predictable and easier to drive fast at the performance edge. That is what that brace does. If a machine can't measure it then I say you need a better machine because you can feel it. I will not be taking my brace off.

You seem to be a bit lost on whom people that know suspension actually are? You also seem to be stuck on proving that the stock two point brace is in fact stiffening "the chassis". I stated before in the past the older generation cars needed the bracing more. Have you seen the photos of the Gen5 chassis cutaway and the crash test video that shows the stiffening of the front end area for safety? He actually does address the issue of a strut tower brace on convertibles. The convertibles also have bracing underneath for added support since there is no "B pillar" for rigidity. You aren't the only ZL1 owner that tracks their car. I did this crap in the 1990's where were you then? I would think you'd be open to learn something instead of quoting what you've read in an article? It seems you pulled together a bunch of articles in your mind to form this stubborn stance. Next time at the track run your car with and without the strut tower brace and compare times. Too stiff a front end and you'll float a front wheel through the corners on tight courses. Just for documentation here's a shot of a real Camaro race car with a true strut tower brace. Notice it ties into the firewall to add the third point for rigidity. That is a "Strut Tower Brace!

ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
You seem to be a bit lost on whom people that know suspension actually are? You also seem to be stuck on the brace stiffening "the chassis". I stated before in the past the older generation cars needed the bracing more. Have you seen the photos of the Gen5 chassis cutaway and the crash test video that shows the stiffening of the front end area for safety? He actually does address the issue of a strut tower brace on convertibles. The convertibles also have bracing underneath for added support since there is no "B pillar" for rigidity. You aren't the only ZL1 owner that tracks their car. I would think you'd be open to learn something instead of quoting what you've read in an article? Next time at the track run your car with and without the strut tower brace and compare times. Too stiff a front end and you'll float a front wheel through the corners on tight courses.Just for documentation here's a shot of a real Camaro race car with a true strut tower brace. Notice it ties into the firewall to add the third point for rigidity.
I'm brand new to the Camaro. Until about 3 weeks ago I never owned one or looked at them much. Thanks for bringing Pete's name to my attention. There are thousands of people around the globe that make their living as "suspension experts". I must admit that from the little bit of research I have done it looks like Pedder's products have some success to back them up. If I had the opportunity I would love to talk to him for a while and find out what he has tried on the ZL1. Not a lot of ZL1 specific parts for sale on their web-site. Talking to someone that has first hand experience sure beats trial and error. Cars are a hobby for me now but I like speed. I am always open to learning new things but I'm also pretty strong willed on voicing what I know to be true by personal experience. Chassis rigidity = good, Chassis flex = bad. From what I have read so far the suspension bushings are giving a lot more flex than the chassis. The little bit I have driven this Camaro, I really like the Chassis, I can believe that the hardtop strut tower brace is not doing much even at crazy corning loads... The car feels really solid. I may be kind of old school but I would try that 3 point brace long before I would just take the stock one off. Anyway, I'm not here to offend anyone, I actually am trying to learn what I can about this new car and this forum has been very helpful. Thanks for calling me out.... I've learned some good stuff just on this thread.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.

Last edited by jessrayo; 07-19-2013 at 12:51 PM.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #34
ZL1RHINO

Drives: 2013 black on black
SERVED!!!
ZL1RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
southbayZL1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Trap speed 123 --60 ft 1.695 - boost 16 . Spun the tires a bit but we are going next weekend to the track hopefully get it to hook and bring that 60 ft number down and see how much more I can get out of it. It does have DR on it.

Last edited by southbayZL1; 07-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.
southbayZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #36
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayZL1 View Post
Trap speed 123 --60 ft 1.695 - boost 16 . Spun the tires a bit but we are going next weekend to the track hopefully get it to hook and bring that 60 ft number down and see how much more I can get out of it. It does have DR on it.
Sorry for the thread hijack! I'm sure with a bit of experimentation and getting comfortable those times will come down. Good luck with your goals!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
ace32x

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayZL1 View Post
awesome 60 need that trap up now! with an rotofab intake and 8.6 lower i put down a 122 trap on my otherwise stock zl1
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #38
southbayZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack! I'm sure with a bit of experimentation and getting comfortable those times will come down. Good luck with your goals!
No worries thanks man! I actually am going to have a custom strut tower bar built for it but for now I will live without it.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #39
southbayZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
I'd love to see videos of it in action if you have any!! Sweet set up! I loved my old KB twin screw!
Thanks man! I will post some video after my next weekend of racing.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #40
southbayZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WSS View Post
what was your trap speed? and how much boost are you running? any other mods?
Trap speed 123 --60 ft 1.695 - boost 16 . Spun the tires a bit but we are going next weekend to the track hopefully get it to hook and bring that 60 ft number down and see how much more I can get out of it. It does have Drag radials and Magna-Flow exhaust.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Nice meeting you at Byron.

~John
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #42
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Chevy Tahoe
Id like to buy a 3.6 kit. But I dont want to change to outer appearance by changing the stock hood. Any suggestions? Like a K-member or engine lowering?
Rikki Tikki Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote