Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Bad news for Convertible drag racers at C5F4

In the current NHRA rules revisions for the 2013 NHRA Rule book!!

Quote:
NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

Simply what it says is if your car runs 10.00 (or slower) and slower than 135mph you do not need a roll bar unless the vehicle has a convertable top or T-tops than the old rule applies for them but the car has to be OEM stock and unaltered no mods. See ya in August. If you have any othe questions regarding NHRA safety rules just PM me.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Smkymts

I'm being told that this is only an issue for me. That 99.8 % of C5 members have coupes.
Those that believe this really mean Convertible owners don't have a need for a safe track to race. That our numbers are not large enough to be important to the whole, but I thought this was Camaro5.com not Camaro5Coupe.com.

If you are a convertible owner then sign in here and let the group know you exist and want your voice heard too. Find a place where all Camaro owners and enthusiast can meet, have fellowship and compare their cars and skills on the track! Spread the word and unite convertibles.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
I'm being told that this is only an issue for me. That 99.8 % of C5 members have coupes.
Those that believe this really mean Convertible owners don't have a need for a safe track to race. That our numbers are not large enough to be important to the whole, but I thought this was Camaro5.com not Camaro5Coupe.com.

If you are a convertible owner then sign in here and let the group know you exist and want your voice heard too. Find a place where all Camaro owners and enthusiast can meet, have fellowship and compare their cars and skills on the track! Spread the word and unite convertibles.
This rule is an NHRA rule, not camaro 5's. If you'd like to amend it contact them.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Camaro 5 can't do anything about it. If any track gets caught not enforcing the NHRA rules they can possibly loose their sanctioning. Which may not seem like a big deal but it actually is.

It sucks for you guys but its like any other law that you must abide by.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Camaro 5 can't do anything about it. If any track gets caught not enforcing the NHRA rules they can possibly loose their sanctioning. Which may not seem like a big deal but it actually is.

It sucks for you guys but its like any other law that you must abide by.
Then why hasn't it and still isn't in some cases enforced equally. Why wasn't it enforced last year?

And I never said Camaro5 could change NHRA. But it gas a lot if clout and could find a nice safe track were all could come and participate.

Why is it just recently that convertible owners are being hit over the head with "these rules" when little has changed. If its illegal now it has been illegal at all C5Fest!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Then why hasn't it and still isn't in some cases enforced equally. Why wasn't it enforced last year?

And I never said Camaro5 could change NHRA. But it gas a lot if clout and could find a nice safe track were all could come and participate.

Why is it just recently that convertible owners are being hit over the head with "these rules" when little has changed. If its illegal now it has been illegal at all C5Fest!
Well, what can I say except that you are correct. It should've been enforced last year, it wasn't. Now it's being enforced.

As Mlee stated there are no non nhra sanctioned tracks that can accommodate the camaro fest.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Smkymts

I really odd thing is that I keep getting told that this is for safety reasons. "What happens if you flip?"

But in the same breath, the same people say that it only applies to drag racing. But I think you have a better chance of flipping when you autocross. Driving as fast as you can throwing the car side to side through cones would seem a higher chance of flipping. But NHRA does stop that event which is at the same track feet away from the dragstrip.

And no one answering the question of when this issues was raised, before or after the deal was signed to return to Lucas?

Fine, Coupes win, enjoy you empty victory. Just change the name to Camaro 5 Coupe.com
I will take my convertible and go home and force myself to like eating rice burners instead if coupes at my local NHRA track. I'm beyond caring now!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Smkymts

Contact official NHRA track "Thunder Valley", Bristol, Tn. Home if Chevy Spring Nationals. They allow any vehicle that passes tech inspection run on a weekly bases in full agreement with local law enforcement in order to get street racers off the street and into the track. I suggested this last year as it is in the middle if the east coast.

So MLEE hasn't checked all NHRA tracks.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Interesting info Jeff. So you are saying now you would have to add a roll bar to go 11.99 and quicker?

Congrats on the new ride, don't know that I can get away next week but we'll for sure be there for the LSX Finals with El Toro.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Interesting info Jeff. So you are saying now you would have to add a roll bar to go 11.99 and quicker?

Congrats on the new ride, don't know that I can get away next week but we'll for sure be there for the LSX Finals with El Toro.
11.49 is still where the roll bar requirement starts. Unless you're convertible.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Correct me if I'm wrong.
But I think a convertible needs a 6 point roll bar if it goes 13.49 or faster.

And some events, a 2008 and newer model hardtop vehicle can run 10.0 without a roll bar.I don't know if this one will apply at the C5 event.It would be a good idea to check it out.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion427 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.

And some events, a 2008 and newer model hardtop vehicle can run 10.0 without a roll bar.I don't know if this one will apply at the C5 event.It would be a good idea to check it out.
On the chart I posted it says "c/13.49". Meaning vert faster than 13.49
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Contact official NHRA track "Thunder Valley", Bristol, Tn. Home if Chevy Spring Nationals. They allow any vehicle that passes tech inspection run on a weekly bases in full agreement with local law enforcement in order to get street racers off the street and into the track. I suggested this last year as it is in the middle if the east coast.

So MLEE hasn't checked all NHRA tracks.
This whole site looks for tracks every year, not just me. Hotel is the hardest thing to find and determines a lot when choosing a location.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.
But I think a convertible needs a roll bar if it goes faster than 13.49
This is true.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

On your ninja edit,, modding the car can mean changing the tires to a 1000 shot of nitrous. No camaro will qualify for this exception in these conditions. It's a zr1, gtr rule basically.

Closed Thread