Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Keep Lowering springs or Swap to Coils.

Have a 14 1LE with BMR lowering springs. Been riding like this for the past 4 years. Rides stiff, which I don’t mind. However, going over a bump especially at higher speeds the rebounds kinda sketchy, and it bottoms out. Was contemplating on getting Megan Racing coil overs, but the posts I’ve read are quite old.

Anyone can chime in with updated reviews with Megan Coils? If not I’ll just go with BC or Pedders.. OR I might just keep it the way it is, since I only drive the car once every 2 weeks.
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
If you can, go with Pedders coilovers and Pedders front camber plates. The adjustability is outstanding. A few bucks more if you can swing it, then do the Pedders supercar dual adjustable coilovers. Very very nice and they are rebuildable to which is important later on. I swapped my 1LE components out and installed Pedders supercar coilovers and front camber plates. They are awesome. The nice thing is with the camber plates is your front shocks aren’t floating like the oem set up. This locks the car body to the strut part of the coilovers and you won’t get that weird wonky shake you typically feel in these cars on the oem set up when you hit a bump etc. Huge improvement!

If you go with Pedders coilovers the single adjustable coilovers allows for lower than 1 inch, I think up to 2 inches it can be lowered all 4 corners. On the Pedders supercar coilovers you can only get about 1 inch lower than stock in the rear .. this is due to the dual adjusters. The fronts on the supercars can go up to 1-1/2” lower. Both styles still allow you to use the front camber plates either way.

The decision basically is do you want a lower than 1” car or is 1” in rear enough but you have dual full adjustable coilovers.

Last edited by Jayjellyfish212; 02-27-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
RupertPupkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
If you can, go with Pedders coilovers and Pedders front camber plates. The adjustability is outstanding. A few bucks more if you can swing it, then do the Pedders supercar dual adjustable coilovers. Very very nice and they are rebuildable to which is important later on. I swapped my 1LE components out and installed Pedders supercar coilovers and front camber plates. They are awesome. The nice thing is with the camber plates is your front shocks aren’t floating like the oem set up. This locks the car body to the strut part of the coilovers and you won’t get that weird wonky shake you typically feel in these cars on the oem set up when you hit a bump etc. Huge improvement!

If you go with Pedders coilovers the single adjustable coilovers allows for lower than 1 inch, I think up to 2 inches it can be lowered all 4 corners. On the Pedders supercar coilovers you can only get about 1 inch lower than stock in the rear .. this is due to the dual adjusters. The fronts on the supercars can go up to 1-1/2” lower. Both styles still allow you to use the front camber plates either way.

The decision basically is do you want a lower than 1” car or is 1” in rear enough but you have dual full adjustable coilovers.

I’m trying to go just street application. No racing for me .

I’m assuming this is good?

https://pedders.com/products/160086-...maro-2010-2015
Old 02-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I’m trying to go just street application. No racing for me .

I’m assuming this is good?

https://pedders.com/products/160086-...maro-2010-2015
Yup, those are awesome for street. My buddy has those ones on his 2014 1LE and he cruises the street and occasionally track road coarse messing around with those on's on his car. Those are great. Only difference in the other ones (supercar ones) is the dual adjusters for compression and rebound. I was going to go with the XA's but I found a special deal for 500 bucks more i could get the supercar ones. If i didn't get the deal I got at the time i would've just got the XA's.

Don't forget the front camber plates...they really change the front of the car like I mentioned earlier. If you have trouble finding the camber plates try eBay. I had trouble finding mine when i was ordering them, but i think it s because alot of people were also adding them on the cars at that time.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Jayjellyfish212

That weird wonky shake you typically feel in these cars on the oem set up when you hit a bump etc. is resolved by adding camber plates in the front so the front struts are actually mounted to the frame/ body. This resolves the front. For the rear you would add a solid cradle bushing set and it will mount the cradle to the frame/body. Doing both the front and rear mods creates a entire different car for the better. It is noticeable. Also the camber plates have nice bearings in them that makes the steering very smooth like silk.

The Pedders coilovers are certainly your better choice for the few bucks more over the other brands you mentioned because they are rebuildable and they sell the rebuild kits. The other brands you mentioned I am not sure about if they can be rebuilt etc.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I had supercars for four years. If you can swing it get Ridetechs. The ride, handling and balance is much better. And you don’t have to do all the adjustments with rebounds and compression , just rebound. And Pedders front springs are stiff, throwing off the ride quality . Pedders are just ok on freeways, low speed or high speed bumps to bouncy. And I probably tried every conceivable combination
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
RupertPupkin

Supercars are out of my price range right now.. I just dropped 10k on S/C build. The external reservoir for the fluid is pretty kool, but to it seems like it’s overkill for the street. What made you guys choose peddlers?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Supercars are out of my price range right now.. I just dropped 10k on S/C build. The external reservoir for the fluid is pretty kool, but to it seems like it’s overkill for the street. What made you guys choose peddlers?
And with that canister you have to run the Pedders rear swaybar. Non other will work.
I was going to get Pedders XA’s but shop gave me a good deal on supercars. Supposed to be the best . Well at the time anyway. So taking a chance on all the Pedders sales bullshit I did it. And the Pedders stuff now made in China and probably no better then Megan or bc.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Have a 14 1LE with BMR lowering springs. Been riding like this for the past 4 years. Rides stiff, which I don’t mind. However, going over a bump especially at higher speeds the rebounds kinda sketchy, and it bottoms out. Was contemplating on getting Megan Racing coil overs, but the posts I’ve read are quite old.

Anyone can chime in with updated reviews with Megan Coils? If not I’ll just go with BC or Pedders.. OR I might just keep it the way it is, since I only drive the car once every 2 weeks.

Did you time the bushings when you lowered it? That will cause uncontrolled chassis motions. I second the RideTech suggestion. High quality, and great warranty. I've seen too many Pedders coilovers all blown out.

Last edited by cdb95z28; 02-27-2020 at 10:26 PM.
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Did you time the bushings when you lowered it? That will cause uncontrolled chassis motions. I second the RideTech suggestion. High quality, and great warranty. I've seen too many Pedders coilovers all blown out.
yes they were timed. What I came to and with feedback from Pedders is the front springs are to stiff, albeit good for roadcourses, the rear still used stock spring shape and mount, not a true coilover in construction. Last is valving is not right. Like the XA’s can be to soft and bouncy, or not controlled, or just to stiff. Again seems more designed for road courses. For street not great. Autocross not bad.

And yeah on blowouts. I was told by Pete to keep rear preload at 10mm no less and not to go lower then five from soft, just to help them not to blow a seal.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #11
RupertPupkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Yup. The ride is solid. No complaints. Just when I’m doing regular driving, and I hit a bump, the ride bottoms out. Also when I I go to a dip on the road/highway I’m getting propelled upwards. It’s very rare that happens, but considering I’m adding a S/C I want it to be more stable.