Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Thumbs down 2011 CAMARO CONVERTIBLE TOP ISSUES (VIDEO)

This top is clean there are no stains all the marks you see on the top are from rubbing. There are several new locations that I have not seen mentioned in this forum before.

This car was built in 4/11 and I took delivery in August. There has been a lot of top down driving. The top has been treated with 303 products. It has never been lowered while wet. This cars has a little over 6000 miles on it now. It is kept outside and is exposed to the elements.

I had a feeling the scope of the top rub mark issue was going to spread and it has on my car. I have counted at least ten different rub mark locations.

Enjoy the show.

Don't even get me started on the wrinkles!

Last edited by tramtwo; 12-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Yup
classic case of rub marks
I would make your dealer aware of the issues including the wrinkles.
Have them put a note in your file on the computer.Try to wait for a while before replacing top (under warranty) as from reading the various posts, I think alot of people end up with a worse problem (ie water drain tubes or water bag damaged) when the top has been replaced.
Hopefully GM with come out with a permanent fix to these issues instead of the band-aid, patch work type fixes they have been doing until now.

Now that I see yours, I am a little concerned as mine was built in the same month as yours.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Wow... that's the worst I've seen yet!

One thing I can recommend for you; the long horizontal mark across for front most bow- I'm going to assume you have the tanneau cover ... I had the same mark which I found to be caused by the slight movement of the cover while driving causing friction against the top at that bow (which lines up near the rear of the well by the trunk, where the cover "tucks under") after my first top replacement, I began placing a thin piece if felt over the top, directly under the tanneau... and no more marks across the bow. I too do 90-95% of my driving top down, and 75% with the tanneau. Mine was built 2/14 and has 8500 miles (but is kept garaged) I've got the rub marks predominantly on the passenger side and lightly on the drivers. A few wrinkles behind the rear windows and non other marks appearing...

Definitely get that documented.

I read a lot of ppl talking about "waiting for a permanent fix"- which is great, I am too, but plz, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT IN TO GRT DOCUMENTED! If everyone waits it out, and no one makes any noise, GM may very well assume the problems corrected itself, and we'll all be s.o.l.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I have never replaced a convertible top untill this summer when I did my daughter's Lebaron. If the job I did looked that bad, I would have pulled it off and paid to have it done. Sorry you have to put up with that.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
tramtwo

I have something in writing from the dealership's service department acknowledging top problems. They were as eager to not fix it as I was to not have them touch it.

I really am at a loss as to why GM has not stepped up... I mean besides money. These cars are the "top" of the Camaro line up and this issue has been documented for at least 9 months now. This car with all options was stickered at 50k.

Buyer beware.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
DADS45TH

Drives: 2012 Anniversary Edition
Has anyone come up with a reason the tops are rubbing the way they are? ?
Are people driving with the top down & no cover on it ? ?
I noticed with mine that 1 time I drove without the cover on it & it samed to be
bouncing around alot especially at highway speeds.
It seems O.K. with the top up as far as not moving too much.
I'll have to get someone to follow behind & see how much the top flops around.
That won't be till next spring though. Hope everyone fairs out O.K. with their top issues.
Gerry
DADS45TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Before I replaced my top the rub marks were being done wether the cover was on or not. So far no more rub marks but now all the problems due to replacement are surfacing !
Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
rjtssvert

Drives: 2011 2ss rs convertible
My car was built 1/11 and I had my top down just about the whole summer and it looks nothing like that, I only have the two little spots right above the doors and those seem to be slightly disappearing now that the top has been up for some time now. good luck in resolving your issues.
rjtssvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADS45TH View Post
Has anyone come up with a reason the tops are rubbing the way they are? ?
Are people driving with the top down & no cover on it ? ?
I noticed with mine that 1 time I drove without the cover on it & it samed to be
bouncing around alot especially at highway speeds.
It seems O.K. with the top up as far as not moving too much.
I'll have to get someone to follow behind & see how much the top flops around.
That won't be till next spring though. Hope everyone fairs out O.K. with their top issues.
Gerry
Gerry -

Look thru the "does your top have rub marks" thread, SUX2BU and i narrowed it down pretty well using lotion to mark the area when the top is cycled. Its compressing against a rear side rail, the rectangular indentation/mark is actually from the edge of the rail. The pictures illustrate it perfectly.

As for the cover/tanneau ; its only standard on 2 LT and 2 SS- therefore I have to assume GM believes it not to be a necessity for driving. I actually found my marks are worse with it on, as it seems to compress the top even more causing more contact between the too and offending rail. I've been Using masking tape on the top when the covers on, and.nothing for short trips which don't seem ti wear as badly.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
tramtwo

I am sure that this top is being rubbed more than in just the two known locations caused by the frame rails. The entire issue just leaves me resentful.

I am trying to get some good audio of the clanking noise, sounds like two iron frying pans being smacked together when the car's at low speed goes over small bumps in the road. But that is a thread of a different color.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
yeesh. im pretty sure there will be a recal on the top in 2014 lol. sorry for your luck though man
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
yeesh. im pretty sure there will be a recal on the top in 2014 lol. sorry for your luck though man
That is funny. These cars are bad-assed, and if I stand about 10 feet away the top looks perfect.

EDIT: Maybe I can Plasti Dip it.

Last edited by tramtwo; 12-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
tramtwo

We are not alone, check out what I saw today.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
DADS45TH

Drives: 2012 Anniversary Edition
Thanks Drago77. I'll go check the other thread. Gerry
DADS45TH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rub marks top wrinkles