Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
noisemker

Drives: RY 2LT/RS
premium or regular gas

I was hoping someone could explain what would be better to run in a V6 2010 with full exhaust system, intake, throlle body, plenum spacer and tune, Premium gas or regular gas. Will one cause more knock then the other? I believe premium burns hotter than regular making more power, is that right?

Any advice would be great I'm using premium now and don't want to waste money if it's not helping.

Airaid Intake And Solo CatBack Solo Highflow Cats
noisemker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Unless your heavily modified and tuned properly don't waste your money. It increases knock activity and the car wasn't really designed for it. It doesn't hurt to use but like said no big difference other than in your pockets. If you want a difference get a small shot of methanol for a NA engine for those hot days your going to be hot rodding around.

Sent from my iPad Mini 2 Retina using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
I don't believe there is any significant performance gain either unless tuned for it, but since when does using higher octane gasoline increase knock activity? I've always known the opposite to be true. What am I missing???
Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I beg to differ! I don't know about HP difference, but our cars pull timing if you use lower octane gas. It takes running higher octane for a couple of tanks for the computer to re-set but several folks on here, myself included, have really been able to feel the difference in the butt dyno. I will never feed my baby low octane again. She only gets Top tier 93 octane. Around here Shell is the best.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
I don't believe there is any significant performance gain either unless tuned for it, but since when does using higher octane gasoline increase knock activity? I've always known the opposite to be true. What am I missing???

I believe this was a mistake, as we all know higher octane prevents knock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I beg to differ! I don't know about HP difference, but our cars pull timing if you use lower octane gas. It takes running higher octane for a couple of tanks for the computer to re-set but several folks on here, myself included, have really been able to feel the difference in the butt dyno. I will never feed my baby low octane again. She only gets Top tier 93 octane. Around here Shell is the best.

Ruby is spot on, this was tested and verified a few times over the past few years here on the forum. Yes, we can run on 87 octane and save money, that is what the V6 was designed for, but it does indeed pull timing while doing so, which robs HP. For me only 93 octane to get every little HP I can from my baby V6.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Fuse pull does nothing for the V6. That is a V8 fuel map table thing.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Fuse pull does nothing for the V6. That is a V8 fuel map table thing.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
noisemker

Drives: RY 2LT/RS
Thanks everyone for the responses but I'm still torn with some of the responses I personally feel a difference with the higher octane on the butt dyno and will most likely continue to use it

Airaid Intake And Solo CatBack Solo Highflow Cats
noisemker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Ah, 87 vs 91/93. We meet again...

It's personal preference. The car runs both. You will have better efficiency, better power, better response with higher octane gas, but it does not HURT to run 87. That's what all the technology in the engine is for. I, for example, only run 93. Have since I got the car, and will until it dies.

"No gain with higher octane" is the modern day equivalent of "flat earth". You can believe whatever you want, but that doesn't make it right.

(Btw, OP, premium gas has a higher octane level, which means that it has more resistance to detonation and allows higher compression. Say gasoline burns hotter than gasoline, well... you get the picture. lol.)
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
If you want to reset the ECU you either have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes or reload a tune. I had to do that because my ECU keeps knock retard in the memory, don't know if IPF tuned it that way or if it is from the stock file.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I run 93 or 91 at the minimum. Having extra pull on the chain is not acceptable. For the few pennies more per gallon or about $3-4/tank it is well worth it. Go to the more reliable stations too like HESS, BP, Shell etc and not the mom and pop shops that have more irregularity in their gasses.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
low octane pump gas like 87 if knock is caused the ECU will pull timing which means you lose power,, 89 or 91 will be spicy enough to hold detonation from occurring.

If you have a turbo or blower the game changes, you do benefit from 93 pump or race gas 100 or 110 OCT
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
This is the oldest debate when it comes to the V6.

Bottom line is, there is not a huge difference. Running premium is not going to unlock an extra 50 HP.

But it will reduce knock activity, which means you should be getting a happier, slightly stronger (even if you can't feel a huge difference) engine.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
cjcamaro10

Drives: 2010 LS 6M
I notice with my ac on from a second gear start. I have tried all the ratings and seem to feel no difference from 89-93, but do feel a difference from 87 to 89. I drive a lot mixed city and expressway for work and higher octane is more responsive at lower rpms for sure on my car. My car never sees over 3500 so if couldn't tell you about top end,
cjcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote