Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Thanks, guys. I'm really happy with the way it came out. THIS is what the dealer should do if you request a painted engine cover!

Tyler: I believe my core is on your counter

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Lookin good!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
That looks kickass man, nice job!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Looks good.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Kid

Thanks all!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 AM   #20
MrTeacher

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Thanks all!
I was thinking about getting the VMAX throttle body as well. Is it easy to install with basic tools and limited skill/knowledge? I'm happy to learn, follow directions, get dirty, and save some money if I can.
MrTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #21
Kid

Literally a 15 minute job. No need to get dirty. I always wear rubber gloves. :-)

Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Great job! It looks great. I need to re-paint mine & finish polishing the plenium cover. You should have pulled that darn felt blanket off your engine while you had the manifold off though. It is a PITA to get off without taking the manifold off but it can be done. Just be careful if you try as it is filled with fiberglass. You are going to love the change in your car once it "learns" the new mods!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #23
Kid

I should probably be a little more detailed, as the directions weren't great.

1) remove intake tube assembly. Stock or aftermarket should be roughly the same.
2) unplug throttle body (There's two plugs, undo the bigger one first)
3) unplug the host from the front of the intake. Twist and pull gently.
4) unplug hose from the back of intake. Use pliers on the spring clamp then twist off.
5)Pull the PCV return from the top of the intake. Wiggle it while you pull straight up. Check the o-ring. Mine was messed up a bit.
6) Remove the braket the goes from the side of the throttle body to the block. This won't fit anymore after the spacer is in.
7) Remove the the heat cover bolts that go into the back of the intake. Theses are a pain. Break them loose with a wrench, then back them out with your fingers. They will not be reused.
8) Finally, remove the 6 bolts holding the intake on. These are 13mm. The intake should lift right out. You will reuse the intake gasket.

Now is when you want to remove the short wire left on the throttle body. If you break the housing on the TB, you lose your core deposit.
The bolts for the TB are 10MM, and you will reuse the gasket. Do not use any sealer, just bolt the new one right on. Torque bolts to 89 in/lbs (INCH/POUNDS)
Now on the factory intake gasket it has these alignment nubs. You have to cut them off. I squeezed them pliers and they broke off. Then I trimmed of the remaining bits.
Lay the intake gasket back in the valley, and lay the spacer on top of it. I used two bolts in the corners to make sure it was sitting square. (no more alignment nubs) Take grey Permatex and surround the intake holes with a 1/8 in. bead. Too much, and it mill squeeze into your intake opening.
Here's where it gets tricky. I dropped all the bolts into the appropriate holes(with there plastic grommets) and carefully lowered the intake so the bolts drop through the spacer into the block. this is where two people would be great, but I was able to do it alone. make sure you start all of the bolts by hand a few turns before you tighten them all down. Torque all bolts to 18 ft/lbs. (FOOT/POUNDS)
reconnect everything, and let the car sit for a while. Overnight is best to let the Permatex set up. That's it...you're done. A lot of steps, but none of them very time consuming. If anybody finds something I missed, please let me know so I can add it.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Great job! It looks great. I need to re-paint mine & finish polishing the plenium cover. You should have pulled that darn felt blanket off your engine while you had the manifold off though. It is a PITA to get off without taking the manifold off but it can be done. Just be careful if you try as it is filled with fiberglass. You are going to love the change in your car once it "learns" the new mods!
Thanks Ruby!
Now, are you talking about the fiberglass on the firewall? I'm afraid to do that, because I don't want to heat up the interior anymore then it already is in a black car. My dad has always had Vettes, and the C3's were absolutely brutal in the summer, and I don't want that repeated in my car due to lack of insulation.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #25
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeacher View Post
I was thinking about getting the VMAX throttle body as well. Is it easy to install with basic tools and limited skill/knowledge? I'm happy to learn, follow directions, get dirty, and save some money if I can.
It's a piece of cake! 15-20 minutes, disconnect the intake from the throttle body, unplug the connection, (I thought this was the hardest part, took me about a minute to figure out how to unplug it lol), then 4 bolts.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #26
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Thanks Ruby!
Now, are you talking about the fiberglass on the firewall? I'm afraid to do that, because I don't want to heat up the interior anymore then it already is in a black car. My dad has always had Vettes, and the C3's were absolutely brutal in the summer, and I don't want that repeated in my car due to lack of insulation.

No, I was talking about that fuzzy felt-like blanket over the engine that is impossible to clean. If you take it off in one piece, you're good to go as it has the fiberglass sealed inside, but I like you did not think to remove it while I had my manifold off & did not want to take everything apart to get it off. So I cut it off piece by piece. As soon as I cut into it I realized it had fiberglass in it & put on gloves but did not put on a mask & goggles & because it was windy ended up getting some in my nose & eyes & had to miss a day of work. It was worth it though as it looks Sooooooooooo much better. I'll try to find the link to pics I took of it & post it.

I also have Huper Optic Nano fusion creamic tint on all windows (clear on the windshield- legal). My car stays MUCH cooler with that keeping UVA/UVB & heat out. This was my first mod & well worth saving the extra $ to get it.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
Kid

Oh, the felt the meets up with the engine cover? That's gone! Nothing left to see but shiny paint.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 AM   #28
MrTeacher

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
What tools did you use? My PTB got delivered earlier today (Wednesday), and I'm hoping to install it tomorrow, if I've got the right tools. I've got basic wrenches, etc., but nothing super fancy. Your directions seem really simple compared to the previous ones... I don't have a torque wrench, for example...

and do the directions change any since I've got a Vararam intake? I assume not, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertion View Post
It's a piece of cake! 15-20 minutes, disconnect the intake from the throttle body, unplug the connection, (I thought this was the hardest part, took me about a minute to figure out how to unplug it lol), then 4 bolts.
MrTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote