Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Gmack

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT/RS
CAI install now check engine light

I just installed a CAI unit on my 2014 3.6 with 9k miles. I drove approximately 15 miles and check engine light came on. Oil level and pressure all report good per gauges.
Anyone else have this problem or suggestions of what could be problem?

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Have you checked the codes? What are they?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Air sensor put in backwards?
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
gmfm86

Drives: 2013 1ls inferno orange camaro
Disconnect battery, touch leads together, and hook back up
gmfm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfm86 View Post
Disconnect battery, touch leads together, and hook back up

make sure all the hoses are attached properly and clamps tight. there is a small hose that should have been reconnected to the new intake. MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) could be dirty, did you put your dirty fingers on it? if so you will need to go to an auto parts store and get some MAF cleaner. clean and then be careful not to touch the part of the sensor that sits in the tube. if none of that helps, get the codes from an auto parts store that will read your codes for free.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Gmack

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get the codes checked tomorrow during lunch.
The air sensor housing can only install one way in CAI pipe. I thought that the sensor itself could only snap on one direction. I will have to double check that.

gmfm86 what exactly do you mean by "touch the leads together"? I don't want to fry my air sensor or any other electronic board.

I didn't even get my hands dirty doing the swap last night as the engine area looks like it hasn't even been driven. I'm not sure I could have got the sensor dirty but I will look at codes and possibly clean tomorrow just as a precaution.

Will the check engine light go off if problem is fixed or does it have to be reset in some manner.

I'm a little worried as this was my first mod and it was suppose to be a "plug n play". Worked really nice last night and on my drive to work today but then on the drive to home just cruising at highway speeds (70mph) the light came on.

I appreciate all your input. I will let you know if I find any direct contributing factor.

BTW....does the CAI intake unit mess with warranty? In other words, will I have to reinstall my stock unit to take it in to dealer for service if necessary?

Thanks again,
Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
Yes swap it out before you take it in, even autozone can read the codes for you to clear it, you can unplug you battery in your trunk and let it sit a few minutes the code won't be there see if it comes back
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
ZiG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
dude buy a code reader, you can get a bluetooth one that connects to your phone for like $40 these days. I can't believe everyone doesn't own one yet.
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Z28bryan

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
The intake is fine, won't mess with your warranty.
Z28bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Touching the leads together wouldn't do anything if they're disconnected from the battery. You probably just have a little air slipping through somewhere. If you're gonna do more performance mods it'll help to have your own code reader. This also gives you a little leg up on your mechanic when you bring the car in and tell them to investigate the specific code rather than "I don't know what it's doin just fix it". The autozone code reader can also clear the code for you, so no worries there. Your car is fine, I've never been more sure about anything before in my entire life.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
If you didn't disconnect the negative from the battery before install, it is possible that the fuel trims went outside of the allowable parameters during adjusting to the CAI, and it threw a code during the relearn process. Clear the code, disconnect the battery negative for about 30 minutes, and then see what happens. This is why it is in the instructions to disconnect the negative before installing the CAI. The only other thing to check would be that all the connections are on tightly and correctly.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
Gmack

I had the codes read at lunch today. It came back as "random cylinder misfire". After hearing this I opened the hood to check things like plug wires, hoses , clamps,etc. I noticed that I didn't snap the red clip into place on the air sensor for the CAI. It want loose but maybe with engine torquing or hitting bumps in road it caused an electronic hiccup that threw the code. It has been reset and I will monitor for the next couple days hoping that it won't come back.
Thanks again for all the advice and support.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmack View Post
I had the codes read at lunch today. It came back as "random cylinder misfire". After hearing this I opened the hood to check things like plug wires, hoses , clamps,etc. I noticed that I didn't snap the red clip into place on the air sensor for the CAI. It want loose but maybe with engine torquing or hitting bumps in road it caused an electronic hiccup that threw the code. It has been reset and I will monitor for the next couple days hoping that it won't come back.
Thanks again for all the advice and support.
Sounds like that loose connection you found will solve the issue you were having!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote