Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #15
kpeters59

Drives: Black 2012 SS Convertible
Thanks for that!
I can mostly read it. Not too much to it, really.
Up/down switches, a pump motor driver and the luggage and position sensor.

Does anybody know where the Control Module is physically located?

Or the Position Sensor?

I suspect one or the other of them is in the proximity of the water that's gotten trapped in the car.

-Kyle
kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #16
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Folding Top Position Sensor:

Removal according to the FSM Vol 4 page 12-76
Preliminary Procedure: 1. Removed the right side folding top cylinder without disconnecting the hydraulic lines. 2. Reposition the folding top pump with motor without disconnecting the hydraulic hoses.
Roof Retractable Position sensor:
Procedure:
1. Reposition hydraulic hose to access sensor
2. Disconnect sensor connector from pump with motor assembly.
3. Unclip sensor from cylinder. Sensor wire is secured with tie straps to the hose assembly.
4. NOTE: Use suitable tool to insert between hydraulic cylinder and switch to release from hydraulic cylinder.

Folding Top Position Sensor (Description, page 12-94)
The folding top position sensor is a two wire hall effect sensor providing an input signal to the folding top control module indicating whether or not the top is fully retracted into its trunk storage area (down) and properly stowed. The folding top control module supplies a switched filtered battery voltage to one terminal. The other terminal is a current source providing a signal to the folding top control module.

When the hydraulic cylinder is fully retracted, the top is down (open) and stowed. At this point the cylinder's piston is near the sensor which affects the sensor's internal magnetic field. The sensor's output current enters into the 2 to 5ma range and the sensor is considered active. As the cylinder extends and the top leaves the stowed position, the cylinder's piston moves away from the sensor changing its magnetic field back to its normal states. The sensor's output current enters into the 12 to 17ma range and the sensor is considered inactive.

Hope this helps, no diagrams that I have found yet.
Larry
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Just found couple more interesting notes:

If an excessive current draw is detected while the folding top motor is operating for a defined eriod of time the folding to controller will turn off the folding top motor to prevent overheating or damage to the mechanical structure of the top.

The folding top control module has a thermal protection algorithm to protect the folding top pump motor from damage due to overheating conditions resulting form excessive motor actuation. After the thermal protection has been triggered any new power convertible top command in the open direction will be ignored until the motor is allowed to cool. A close request during an over temperature condition will be allowed.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
kpeters59

Thanks!

Your 2nd post describes exactly what is happening.

Once I remove my top (soon!), I'll make sure to check what's going on.

-KP

Last edited by kpeters59; 12-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #19
nazarah

Drives: 2004 Dodge Viper
NICE!

Thank you for posting the info. I know what I'm doing this weekend.
nazarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #20
shmmee

Drives: 2012 camaro LS convertable
If it's consistently stopping at the same points each time I'd wonder if it's not hanging up on something mechanically. Maybe a notched gear or a bound up hinge on the 5th bow?
shmmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #21
kpeters59

I don't think so...it's way too consistent.

Plus, having to Up, then Down to resume, to me, clearly indicates some kind of Controller disabling motion.

If I hadn't needed to suddenly do a Rear-Disk-Brake Upgrade on my OBS Tahoe, I'd have taken mine apart this last week. I'm expecting to find evidence of water encroachment in the area of the Motion Sensor or the Controller Box (if I knew where that was?)...

-KP
Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #22
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I understand if you love to tinker about with your car for "fun," then by all means have at it with this top issue. Sounds like LOADS of fun trying to determine what's causing your issue. On the other hand, I've come up with this absolutely novel idea to solve this problem. It may seems a little odd and off the beaten path, but I'm sure it may have merit. Ready for it??? Here it is: Why don't you actually take the car in to a Chevy dealer! I'm willing to bet they "may" have someone on staff that can actually locate the issue and solve it. Yes, it will cost some money, and you won't have all the "fun" of fixing it yourself. I don't know, just a thought.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #23
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
the dealer can put a scan tool on the car and watch what is going on in the top electronics when the problem occurs.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #24
nazarah

I never did get around to working with this. Cold NE weather combined with holidays got in the way. I'm gonna let it go until the temp gets back above 50 consistently again. I will not care to use it until then anyway. Still watching this thread though!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #25
kpeters59

That's one solution...

I've chosen to just not put the top up.

It was a bit of a chilly ride ride yesterday and today when I left the house and it was ~40 degrees, but last weekend it was 85, so...

-KP
Old 12-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #26
c-57d

Drives: 14 2SS/RS Triple Black Ragtop LS3
Watching

Old 12-29-2019, 04:10 AM   #27
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
The control module is behind the seat just above the speaker.

In reading the description and operation it says if the control module detects increased current to the motor for a specific amount of time, it assumes there is an obstruction. This sounds like what is happening and I wonder if you "assist" the top does it still do it? May be that there is just some stiffness in the mechanism or the motor is getting tired.... do you use the top a lot?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #28
nazarah

It's still pretty cold here in Nebraska, so this has been pretty low on my priority list. Come spring time I'll probably start messing with it. That way if I have the ZL1 torn apart and can't drive that to work, I have a valid reason to take the Chevelle.