Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #57
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Good posts Doc.......maybe we can make Doc an OG.....
But would the newbies be able to deal with 7 OGs instead of 6?
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #58
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Good posts Doc.......maybe we can make Doc an OG.....
OG?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #59
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
OG?
OG refers to a thread on the Z/28 forum where someone unfamilar with Camaro info posted and all of the older members that knew the info corrected him, he posted back complaining about this forum being "run by six Old Geezers"! So we older members took it in stride and started referring to ourselves as the old geezers or OGs for short. So it would actually be an honor to be made one of the OGs.
Clyde
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #60
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Hey, who are you calling'...OG?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #61
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
OG refers to a thread on the Z/28 forum where someone unfamilar with Camaro info posted and all of the older members that knew the info corrected him, he posted back complaining about this forum being "run by six Old Geezers"! So we older members took it in stride and started referring to ourselves as the old geezers or OGs for short. So it would actually be an honor to be made one of the OGs.
Clyde
LOL ok yeah that would be cool.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #62
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I do enjoy Z/28 history, BUT I would prefer to write a new chapter.

CAMARO TEAM,

TIME TO MAKE THE DONUTS, BURN OUTS, PULL PORSCHES IN THE TURNS WITH AN LS7 Z/28.

Anyone else on board with this?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #63
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I do enjoy Z/28 history, BUT I would prefer to write a new chapter.

CAMARO TEAM,

TIME TO MAKE THE DONUTS, BURN OUTS, PULL PORSCHES IN THE TURNS WITH AN LS7 Z/28.

Anyone else on board with this?
Does a bear crap in the woods? Does a tree make a...Pete did you really have to ask?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #64
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Does a bear crap in the woods? Does a tree make a...Pete did you really have to ask?
He lost his head for a moment or forgot where he was!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #65
MistyBlu10
GOBLIN

Drives: 2015 SS Convertable Green Flash
50TH Z/28 only thats your special car
either an LS7 possibly 5.3 ????
or supercharged or twin turbo V6

2015 2SS Green Flash Edition
2012 Camaro LFX 45th born 9/24/11 sold 4/1/15
2013 Equinox LTZ
2013 Cruze LTZ
2010 LT2 BLUE RS CAMARO TRADED FOR 45TH
2011 COLARADO Z71 TRADED FOR MALABU
2011 MALABU LTZ TRADED FOR BLUE CAMARO
2007 Z71 Avalanche LTZ
1987 K5 Blazer
BOWTIES AS BLOOD CELLS
GM RULES
MistyBlu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #66
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyBlu10 View Post
50TH Z/28 only thats your special car
either an LS7 possibly 5.3 ????
or supercharged or twin turbo V6

Doc,see what we mean?
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #67
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post

Doc,see what we mean?
Lol...yeah....I do. Fortunately the people on the Camaro team know better. I'm guessing we'll see the Z/28 as the show topper next summer leading the charge for the new 6th gen Camaros for model year 2014.

I'm really hoping they can get the weight down under 3,600 lbs which would be a great starting point to begin modding the car. Based on what I'm seeing in the 1LE there may not be all that much to do to a Z/28 which would also be great; just get light-weight track wheels, track tires and spend your money going to track events.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #68
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Take a 1Le and drop in a ls7 or the new direct injection gen 5 if it indeed debuts in the vette. Be a heck of a last year of the fifth gen run.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #69
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Thanks Pete.
Ditto.

Couple questions for Pete, though.

Around 8:00 into the first video there's some sort of discussion going on. Care to share?

In the second video there seems to be a consistent buzzing noise under braking. Any idea what that was?

Quote:
Now Please everyone stop worrying about the 5Gen's weight!
Believe me, I'm trying. The cornering and handling performance levels are amazing.

What's a bit difficult for me is resolving that with the same characteristics of cars weighing barely half that, which is ultimately the comparison I keep coming back to because that's what sports cars used to weigh. I came this >| |< close to buying an MGB in 1970.

Back in the mid 1970's a friend of mine owned a 39xx lb big-block 2nd Gen Camaro. Mildly modified for autocross and brisk TSD rallye driving it was pretty good for its day. But these cars would all eat it for lunch at any venue you'd care to choose.

Further, I can't help but think that over a 20 minute track session there's still a bit to be had from a little less weight per mm of tire tread width. Particularly if the laps are being timed for Optima or similar purposes.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #70
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Ditto.

Couple questions for Pete, though.

Around 8:00 into the first video there's some sort of discussion going on. Care to share? Brake pads. Another 'expert' underestimated the performance range of a dialed in 5th Gen. The brake fade was horrendous. We have that fixed

In the second video there seems to be a consistent buzzing noise under braking. Any idea what that was?

We tuck the in car microphone between the the seat back and bottom. It slipped out and was against the seat track.

Believe me, I'm trying. The cornering and handling performance levels are amazing.

What's a bit difficult for me is resolving that with the same characteristics of cars weighing barely half that, which is ultimately the comparison I keep coming back to because that's what sports cars used to weigh. I came this >| |< close to buying an MGB in 1970.

Back in the mid 1970's a friend of mine owned a 39xx lb big-block 2nd Gen Camaro. Mildly modified for autocross and brisk TSD rallye driving it was pretty good for its day. But these cars would all eat it for lunch at any venue you'd care to choose.

Further, I can't help but think that over a 20 minute track session there's still a bit to be had from a little less weight per mm of tire tread width. Particularly if the laps are being timed for Optima or similar purposes.

Norm
Norm,

Our quest is motivated by our affection for the 5th Gen. Anyone can buy a Vette or Porsche and be fast on track We think and have done this to those cars. The OPTIMA is based on ONE lap. We have to run above 200 tread wear tires. After the third hot lap the tires are going away and not getting better. To do well, your car and driver must be prepared to lay it down hot and fast. I watched a $450,000 Porsche with a pretty damn good driver run multiple sessions and laps trying to catch the L/28 time at Road America. He was very consistent, but as the day grew warmer the track starts to slip away, his tires never recovered and he never caught the L/28. His lap times fell by just the slightest tick each time he ran. By the end of the day he was just over a second slower than his best lap run in the first session.

A tiny ballerina can effortlessly perform gracefully. We are asking Dick Butkus to perform like that ballerina. Last ear Danny Popp drove Todd Rumpke's Vette to a stunning victory at the OPTIMA following SEMA. I think his road course time was over 4 seconds faster than #2. Danny and Todd have had the Vette at several OPTIMA events. The Vette has been refined and tuned since last year's OUSCI. We are running 3 to 4 seconds behind that car or good enough to have placed 2nd in 2011. We know that other cars will come back faster. We are still tweaking setups on the L/28 and Bruce Raymond's Camaro. We haven't put a finished car on track and yet we are close. It is up to me to get the best possible suspension under both cars. There are some 'special' pieces underneath both of them. I guess I have to make them more special
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote