Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #85
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I'm not sure he's saying anything, I just see it as posting weights.

Let's say the 1LE at most loses a 100 pounds. That would put it at 3,780ish. That's not too far from a base GT with performance package. The premium trims don't add as much weight as some people think.
All I meant by it is people want to compare base weights right? Base weight for a Mustang GT is 3705. So when Gen6 is unveiled lets compare weights of a Base GT to a 1SS. That is all I meant

But BC the magazines got fully loaded mustangs for reviews, they came in on the heavy side at over 3800 pounds. For some reason everyone wants to use the 3800 pound weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
Does the GT premium have 18" speakers made of solid gold? What's the difference?

The 1LE isnt exactly the lightest, it uses wider wheels with more rubber, bigger sways, the wheel bearings are larger for the bigger wheels. More body bracing.

Apples to apples will be a 6th gen VS new Mustang in a few months.
The GT premium includes: Leather, heated and cooled seats, better sound system ( 9 speakers vs 6) and my ford touch infotainment system. Thats added weight. All I was sayign was lets use base weights, its easier to track haha

Agreed, but the 1LE is lighter than a 1SS apparently.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #86
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
All I meant by it is people want to compare base weights right? Base weight for a Mustang GT is 3705. So when Gen6 is unveiled lets compare weights of a Base GT to a 1SS. That is all I meant

But BC the magazines got fully loaded mustangs for reviews, they came in on the heavy side at over 3800 pounds. For some reason everyone wants to use the 3800 pound weight

The GT premium includes: Leather, heated and cooled seats, better sound system ( 9 speakers vs 6) and my ford touch infotainment system. Thats added weight. All I was sayign was lets use base weights, its easier to track haha

3863, so 20 lbs maybe, thats a 10 model, hard to find anything for a non 1LE.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...t8_comparison/
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #87
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Those seats probably do add 20lbs, but MFT and the audio upgrade are not adding really any weight. The extra pieces in the PP is where the majority of that weight is coming from. Would be interesting to see a weight on a base GT with PP, but no one seems to have weighed them officially.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #88
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
17% for DI alone? Maybe in certain cases. But not likely. It is a nice bump, BUT if it was so easy everyone would just do it wouldn't they? Yes, it's a 200 psi fuel system and there is cost, but if it were a simple 17%, the Coyote would already have it. In fact, just put the DI engine in the 350R and call it a day.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #89
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Definitely didn't happen in the case of LS3 to LT1. Maybe the keyword is can

I think there is still a lot of untapped potential in the LT1 for more HP. I suspect we may see this with an updated LT1 in the Gen 6 Camaro and Corvette.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #90
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
That number is way too high.

I thought I read 17%. Here is a link to the article anyway.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ect-injection/
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 AM   #91
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I thought I read 17%. Here is a link to the article anyway.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ect-injection/

"Ford’s fuel-metering expert Scott A. Lehto says the ’10 Focus was “rated at 140 hp and 136 lb-ft at 10:1 compression. Our ’13 DI Focus 2.0L has 160 hp and 146 lb-ft running at 12:1 compression on 87-octane gas.” That’s a 14 and 7 percent gain in power and torque, respectively."

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #92
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I think the 3.6 DI LLT is almost the same as the 3.6 non DI LY7. I think there is almost a 50HP difference. However I think it greatly depends on the engine and how efficient it was to begin with. The Coyote gaining over 50 HP with DI and no other changes is way overly optimistic. I do think when GM finally taps out the LT1 it will be at around 480HP. Tune only results from the LT1 tell me GM went pretty conservative for future power bumps.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #93
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I think some people forget that along with more power from di you also are able to run a lower grade gas "with higher compression vs reg. Injection" which saves a few bucks.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #94
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
3863, so 20 lbs maybe, thats a 10 model, hard to find anything for a non 1LE.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...t8_comparison/
Quote:
Those seats probably do add 20lbs, but MFT and the audio upgrade are not adding really any weight. The extra pieces in the PP is where the majority of that weight is coming from. Would be interesting to see a weight on a base GT with PP, but no one seems to have weighed them officially.
True true, I just think when trying to compare weights its just easy to use the weights of the base cars is all.

Either way the camaro is shedding weight, mustang going to have to have something up their sleeve
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #95
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
DI by itself won't add 30hp/30tq to the 5.0, keep dreaming. Just like the dreams of a 2-300lb lighter Mustang it just won't happen. 10-15hp and 30tq, sure. Or 30hp, 10-15tq.

Obviously they may make other changes as well. DI will also add about...30-40lbs?
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #96
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
DI by itself won't add 30hp/30tq to the 5.0, keep dreaming. Just like the dreams of a 2-300lb lighter Mustang it just won't happen. 10-15hp and 30tq, sure. Or 30hp, 10-15tq.

Obviously they may make other changes as well. DI will also add about...30-40lbs?
I honestly think it would be a huge waste of potential if Ford added DI to the current engine and made no changes to cams, valves, pistons ect. They are going to want more compression minimum and that likely means new pistons. I think your probably correct in that it won't add as much torque as it does HP. I don't think DI by itself adds that much weight from the new fuel components but could be wrong. If your basing that on the LT1 its because of DI AND VVT/AFM.

Last edited by VADER SS L99; 04-16-2015 at 01:58 PM.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #97
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSHOOTtheMOON View Post
Take a look at Motor Trend's spec sheet for the 2015 SS 1LE vs the 2015 Mustang GT taken from a video on their popular YouTube channel.
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #98
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
I'm talking about the physical car itself gained 125lbs. If both had spares or air pumps, there would be 125lb difference. Just common sense. Ford just didn't add a spare in there base in 15 to keep the weight down.
Point is, they make it like they make it, not some other way. They no longer offer a spare. That's weight loss. It's not like they're setting it off in the garage for the races.

Quote:
Then why did you make the comment?
Because: not really a Mustang transmission.

Quote:
As for DI, rumors are just that....rumors. Not disagreeing that Ford has the ability to bring DI to the Coyote, but clearly they were not interested in it lately. Will that come back to bite them, who knows. And from a product testing standpoint, DI development and testing would have to be already underway to employ it in the near future. Real question is why DI is not on the Mustang V6 when it exists on the Ecoboost variants. Would think they would be adding it to that motor before the Coyote.
Thought it was wide knowledge (a Ford engineer, Greg T. Johnson, did an interview and said), Ford began testing w/ the then new engines as DI and dropped it from both due to cost and the fact, they got more power than expected w/ regular injection. It's been said, the 5L cylinder head still bears the marks, an obvious spot in each cylinder where, were it drilled out, the injector would go. I've seen it, but cannot verify if that was the plan by Ford. I think they simply don't want to because that raises costs. That was their original "excuse."

Quote:
Also there's no evidence to support the 200lb curb weight drop is not across models. Based on the fact all the details that have been release seem to be related to the SS model, I think a 200lb drop in the SS is a sure bet.
Been saying since before the announcement, the next SS will be right around 3,700 lb in base form. In fact, my guess was between 3,695 and 3,705 about 4 months ago(different forum though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Would adding DI to the Coyote really add 40 HP? How about Torque? I didn't know it made that much of a difference, especially when adding both DI and VVT only added 34 HP or so to the Chevy V8. I know its apples and oranges to a certain extent, since the Coyote already has accomodations for DI built in, where GM didn't.
Eh, that's a tough call. I'm not in their engineering department or anything, but from what we've seen here and there and the "known knowns" of these systems, 40 isn't really a stretch. The big bonus for DI is less knock and w/ that, compression can be raised, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I think DI is Fords "Ace in the hole". Should the new Camaro come out swinging@460+HP, ford will be able to step up. The Coyote is adaptable to DI, already.
Kinda hope they try something different, but I think they're only hope to that end would be more engine.

Quote:
Those mustangs were GT Premiums with the performance pack, the heaviest mustang you can get.
Not even convinced those are the heaviest available. Skipping 'verts, I think there ways to get it heavier, like in the one, losing the RECARO seats and in either, adding the auto.

Quote:
Not doubting the camaro is going to get a lot closer to the mustang in weight, but lets try to keep it apples to apples. you can't go around a say look the 6th Gen 1SS is lighter than the GT premium with performance pack
Expect the 2 will be within 20 lb.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote