Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
I agree with the interior criticisms, its growing on me, but every time I get in my buddy's SRT8 Challenger I grumble about my interior.
If GM radically changes the interior, Ill be pissed and happy at the same time!

Ive driven lots of different kinds of cars and trucks, and its hard to give an objective review of each one. Each car I have driven had really cool, and really bad aspects about them, the best, in my opinion was a 911 GTRS2. The Porsche costs over twice what the camaro, but I liked everything about the car except for its exterior looks. The camaro looks 100 times better...but its like comparing apples to grapefruit...there just isn't a comparison. So taking it down a notch, my friends SRT8 challenger...I liked everything about the challenger, but it wasn't a drop top. My other friends Saleen Mustang....I didn't like it at all. The interior was a little better, but just didn't care for it.

Im a Camaro guy, Ive had 6 different Camaros in my life, now I have 2...Im slightly biased when it comes to the name, but I still call a spade a spade when it comes to design, and engineering. I hold GM to the fire on crappy designs!!
[/IMG]

1970 Camaro ,2011 Red Convertible 2SS,2008 Saturn Sky,2012 Jeep Wrangler
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
PatsRS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Obviously any Camaro owner is biased. We all bought our cars because of some attraction whether it was the looks, the power, or the speed or any combination. To each his own. Auto reviews, especially bad ones are nothing but fodder for competitors. The critics are enitled to their opinions, that is what they get paid for. GM will continue to sell these cars despite these reviews and they will outsell Mustang and Challenger too. Maybe they take heed and make some changes based on these reviews.
Comparing Camaro/GM quality to Porsche? That's just silly.

GM ALL THE WAY!

PatsRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I don't think the reviews were bad at all. The people doing them seemed to enjoy the cars and I agree with many of their complaints. I especially feel like the reviewers who felt the SS convertible was more of a cruiser and less of a track car were right on the money. I also feel like the reviwers who preferred the automatic in the convertible were correct because of the "cruiser" feel to the car. The reviews seemed reasonable to me.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Everyone has their viw of a particular vehicle and what they like and dislike about it.

There is no such thing as a mass produced perfect automobile. (Actualy, I doubt there ever will be one of any stripe (i.e. exotic).

Is the Camaro Perfect. No. Do I like my Camaro, HELL YES! and that is what is important to me.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Pretty much what I expected.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
I wonder what Jake bases this statement on.

"I find it funny that so many of the people who demand GM and Ford bring more of their rear-wheel drive vehicles that are currently sold in Australia to the U.S. don't particularly care for the Camaro."

It can't be sales, cuz the Camaro is kicking butt!

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #21
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
If I wanted a car that had 40, 50, 100k levels of performance and options...I would go buy a car that cost that much.

About the only criticism I think is fair is in comparing to other vehicles in the same price range...and there wasn't much in there other than comparing to the Mustang as being more sprightly.

The rest is just kinda .
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #22
CamaroTransAmFAM
DIE HARD G.M.FAN 4 LIFE

Drives: 99 TransAm WS6,00 TransAm WS6,05GTP
thats why i hate reading magazines like car and driver,automobile,motor trend etc. i dont bother buying them,and i dont really pick them up unless its something about a GM product,these magazines cater to foreign car companies too much the Camaro is a great car,but it gets less attention because its american,i bet if it was designed the same way,but with names like toyota,honda,subaru or some other foreign garbage it would be getting unbelievable praise from these magazines,but they honor cars like the pruis,juke and civic all ugly horrible cars,i for one dont look for these magazines to give a good rating on an american car,because they will find something wrong with it,they did it with the Corvette ZR1 and that car is awesome! i betcha when the Camaro ZL1 hits the street they have something negative to say about that car too.but i dont care how they feel i love the 2010-11 Camaros
#1 DIE HARD GM FAN SSuperior MotorSportz "the SSpirit of Championz,The Attitude of Winnerz,"TEAM FBODY WE LIVE AND BREATHE PERFORMANCE"General Motors 4 Life "CAMARO & TRANS AM RACING ORGANIZATION" THE STREETZ IS A JUNGLE,ONLY 2 BEAST REIGN AS KING:THE PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6/FIREHAWK & CAMARO SS/Z28
CamaroTransAmFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiea View Post
Well, interesting article. Everytime I get in my '11 IOM Camaro Vert I smile, people give me thumbs up and heads turn. Who cares what these guys think! This car is awesome!

By the way guys...it is a Chevy not a Ferrari and there are some of us who prefer a Chevy!
jackiea, so true! I had to give a "tour" of my IOM vert to six guys who stopped to admire it outside of Harbor Freight Tools last night. So there has to be something there in its looks, design, reputation, nostalgia, etc. I think flopjack says it best too about its "soul".

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopjack View Post
I don't contend that the car is without flaw - there are a lot of flaws in the Camaro. Writers seem to forget a few critical things. In the world of sports cars, it's cheap, but many cars that cost ten times as much have just as many flaws. What makes the Camaro special is its roughness - the character that it exhibits. The lack of refinement combined with livability for the streets really gives it a personality, and that is the difference between a good car and a great one. Its got to have a soul!!!
Great observation, flopjack! It's got it, and that's what most reviewers just don't seem to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
I don't think the reviews were bad at all. The people doing them seemed to enjoy the cars and I agree with many of their complaints. I especially feel like the reviewers who felt the SS convertible was more of a cruiser and less of a track car were right on the money. I also feel like the reviwers who preferred the automatic in the convertible were correct because of the "cruiser" feel to the car. The reviews seemed reasonable to me.
woodj, that's why this car was perfect for me. I wanted a cruiser, but with the feel of a manual trans. Oh, and my wife will only drive an automatic.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #24
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
I would love for these reviewers to post what kind of vehicle THEY own and drive! Wouldnt that be fun to know!!!!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #25
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
I think the overall view of the critics was quite favorable and on the money.

Some folks may feel that they are harsh as the critics point out some flaws to the cars that we chose to purchase, but that truly is their job. The job of the critic is to look at the product that they are reviewing with a critical eye and give their opinion on the product, the good, the bad, and the in-between.

Comparing the product to other products of similar nature, price point, performance expectations is all a part of the critique, and I see the comparison to performance vehicles outside of the category on the upper end (Porsche, et al) as being a favorable point that they were making ... that they saw and had comparable expectations. That the expectations were not quite met should not be all that surprising, but that they even had them at all says something about the vehicle, IMO.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
The Camaro is a muscle car, not a sports car. They are very different and you can not compare the two. Muscle cars are heavy, powerful, and loud. Their look and feel is classic, and that goes for the cheesy-disco interior as well.

If you want to compare the Camaro to an affordable sports car, stack it against the Mazda Miata, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mazda RX-8, or Mitsubishi Eclipse. I know which one I would choose.

If you want a luxury sports car, super luxury or exotic sports car, the Camaro does not compete and should not be compared.

The Camaro has an older sister, the Corvette, that fairs well against luxury sports cars.
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
Rencor

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Auto or Stick - I appreciate them both. You can't shift as fast as I can with my L99 off the line. But I can't control the car as well as you with a LS3. However, my wife can drive mine. And a happy wife is a husband who can upgrade till thy kingdom come!
Rencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #28
rjtssvert

Drives: 2011 2ss rs convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientweather View Post
The Camaro is a muscle car, not a sports car. They are very different and you can not compare the two. Muscle cars are heavy, powerful, and loud. Their look and feel is classic, and that goes for the cheesy-disco interior as well.

If you want to compare the Camaro to an affordable sports car, stack it against the Mazda Miata, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mazda RX-8, or Mitsubishi Eclipse. I know which one I would choose.

If you want a luxury sports car, super luxury or exotic sports car, the Camaro does not compete and should not be compared.

The Camaro has an older sister, the Corvette, that fairs well against luxury sports cars.
You hit it right on the head.
rjtssvert is offline   Reply With Quote