Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
How much of a loss did V6 owners took for a SS trade?

Today I decided to let my Camaro stretch it’s tires from a long hibernating winter. The weather was beautiful and last week showers really did more than just clean off the salt.

(Sorry for those people who lost property due to down trees and power)

So I drove it to work and parked it next to my boss’s spot. He wasn’t to thrilled with me for he owns a Mitsubishi gallant. Anyway, on my way back home I saw a loaded summit white 2SS M6 displayed on the sidewalk at a dealership for $38K. I pulled over to view it better when a lady approaches me to say that she was waiting for a Rally Yellow/ Blk Stripes camaro like mine to purchase at that dealership. Suddenly a sales personal approaches me right after she left and ask if I would like to trade my camaro for the white summit. Curious to see what appraisal the rep. may come up with the sales manager comes out with a sheet and tells me how well I kept the car and the low miles of 3200 were a plus for a 9 month old camaro. He gives me a figure of $26K and I could switch the plates and take it home today. That’s too much of a loss for a trade. He had 3 trade-ins; an ABM LS, a Blk RS 1LT and a SIM RS 1LT from $22K - $24K and says that that’s a good offer for a trade. I drove off. Do you think that was a good offer?

P.S. I’m not selling my 2LT M6. It’s going to be a gift for my son when he reaches his academic goals and responsibilities.

I was just wondering how much of a loss did V6 owners took for an SS trade or any model upgrades.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Other members here on the forums who traded up took between a $4-$6k loss.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozzbow View Post
Today I decided to let my Camaro stretch it’s tires from a long hibernating winter. The weather was beautiful and last week showers really did more than just clean off the salt.

(Sorry for those people who lost property due to down trees and power)

So I drove it to work and parked it next to my boss’s spot. He wasn’t to thrilled with me for he owns a Mitsubishi gallant. Anyway, on my way back home I saw a loaded summit white 2SS M6 displayed on the sidewalk at a dealership for $38K. I pulled over to view it better when a lady approaches me to say that she was waiting for a Rally Yellow/ Blk Stripes camaro like mine to purchase at that dealership. Suddenly a sales personal approaches me right after she left and ask if I would like to trade my camaro for the white summit. Curious to see what appraisal the rep. may come up with the sales manager comes out with a sheet and tells me how well I kept the car and the low miles of 3200 were a plus for a 9 month old camaro. He gives me a figure of $26K and I could switch the plates and take it home today. That’s too much of a loss for a trade. He had 3 trade-ins; an ABM LS, a Blk RS 1LT and a SIM RS 1LT from $22K - $24K and says that that’s a good offer for a trade. I drove off. Do you think that was a good offer?

P.S. I’m not selling my 2LT M6. It’s going to be a gift for my son when he reaches his academic goals and responsibilities.

I was just wondering how much of a loss did V6 owners took for an SS trade or any model upgrades.
No dealer is going to give you what you paid on it. You have to expect some sort of a loss especially on a brand new vehicle. The dealer cant justify trading the car unless he can make some sort of a profit on it.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Figure even if you signed papers, walked out to the car, turned back around and walked back in without ever putting your foot on the pedal...$2000 loss.

Them moment you sign papers and take title..it becomes a used car even if you only put 500 feet on the car (not even a mile).
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Krozzbow

I understand the loss you take once you take possession over it at the dealership. But 10K and above is a bit too much for just a trade-in. I was just curious about what appraisal #s they would come up with. I have no scratches, dings or chipped paint. The interior is in showroom condition with no step-in scratches or kid abuse. Insects slide off by the wax coating as a protected barrier. The vin # is A9100242 so does that count for anything? Just curious.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Dealers are epically nit-picky when it comes to "condition". They view "Great" condition as being able to simply take the plates off, do minor cleaning and checks and stick it on the lot.

I've never been able to trade in a car and get a "great" condition.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
You all are forgetting that people are charging MSRP on the new SSs - that's how they make money on the trade-in.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..sounds like the salesperson can sell yours for $29K, as well as not lower the price SW(to you)? Not worth the loss IMO..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Krozzbow

I work for fedex and customers always ask me how can I afford the Camaro. They wonder why it's so expensive in the dealerships. I also wondered why the gauging still continues even with used Camaros no matter what models.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
They continue to do it because no one is holding them accountable. People need to stop going to the dealerships to shop for cars. Shop online and call dealerships to confirm pricing and availability before ever walking into a dealership...in laymans terms...DO YOUR HOMEWORK before going to the car lot.

Hint: Know what your trade is worth....Retail, Trade and private seller ammount it will give you amunition during negotiations...
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Krozzbow

Thanks for your feedback and again I will thank you all for making the Camaro the true #1 leading Sports car of the year.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I started off getting just the 2LT and got tired of both the wife and I not wanting to drive the other cars. So we just decided screw it, and bought a second one ... Now we have a 2LT / RS and a 2SS / RS ... You only live once and why leave all the money to the kids ... LOL ...
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
No matter how you cut it its ugly. U lose the tax money plus its value right off the hop. Dealerships aka stealerships are the last place i trade my car. For the life of me i dont understand why people dont take a few moments of there time and sell it privately and save thousands. Imo i would wait till superchargers come out and add power that way then trading up. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
i paid 30 and they gave me 27
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote