Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
GMPilot

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS VR
Anyone Rent a Corvette ZHZ from Hertz?

Howdy gang. Former lurker and longtime enthusiast who had to finally break the ice. I've had my Gen5 Camaro for about six months now, and every second of my driving life has FUN, even to the gas station and back.

Wife and I have booked five nights in Oceanside CA for our honeymoon this March. When the time came to rent the car, I lobbied to forgo the meaningless expenses (shopping, fancy dinners, etc) for a real experience and booked the C6 ZHZ from Hertz at San Diego International. It's always been a dream and at $550 for five days it was too perfect to pass up. My other research hasn't found any other Vettes for under $1300/week.

Anyone driven one yet?

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...orvettezhz.jsp
GMPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Nice. I have never heard of it.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Nice find. I live about 15 minutes from Oceanside.

I'm not seeing much of an upgrade over the standard vette, other then stripping, badging and brake rotors.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
GMPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Nice find. I live about 15 minutes from Oceanside.

I'm not seeing much of an upgrade over the standard vette, other then stripping, badging and brake rotors.

Nice! I have a feeling I'm not going to want to leave.

As for the upgrades from base it seems to be the performance exhaust option, magnetic ride, and bigger brakes. This site has a few pics including one of the sticker after they're outfitted showing a total price of $83,010.00. Looking like a steal for around $100 a day!

http://www.corvettefever.com/feature...zhz/index.html
Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
MikeSVX

That's an insane. I think the GS is cheaper and better equiped if I'm not mistaken. Can't you get a Z06 for around that?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Yes!!! I rented a convertible ZHZ from LAX in April 2009.

The magnetic ride control and the performance exhaust were a lot of fun. The one I had was an automatic which I was not pleased with, but was very impressed by GM's new tapshift program and redundant steering wheel controls. The car rev-matches on downshift and is quick in response to using the paddle shifters.

The exhaust is awesome, especially in the convertible. After 3k, I believe a cutout opens up and it sounds like Pandora just busted out of the box.

We drove the canyons for 2 days straight....TONS of road up there, and lots of fun stuff going on. You have to be careful...there's a lot of illegal driving going on. Sportbikers timing runs, as well as cars, sometimes with guys on the lookout with checkpoints and radios. Photographers set up on the big turns to catch you in your awesomeness as you fly past (or lose control).

We had a great time...no tickets...just lots of smiles and a couple of great photos.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
GMPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Yes!!! I rented a convertible ZHZ from LAX in April 2009.

The magnetic ride control and the performance exhaust were a lot of fun. The one I had was an automatic which I was not pleased with, but was very impressed by GM's new tapshift program and redundant steering wheel controls. The car rev-matches on downshift and is quick in response to using the paddle shifters.

The exhaust is awesome, especially in the convertible. After 3k, I believe a cutout opens up and it sounds like Pandora just busted out of the box.

We drove the canyons for 2 days straight....TONS of road up there, and lots of fun stuff going on. You have to be careful...there's a lot of illegal driving going on. Sportbikers timing runs, as well as cars, sometimes with guys on the lookout with checkpoints and radios. Photographers set up on the big turns to catch you in your awesomeness as you fly past (or lose control).

We had a great time...no tickets...just lots of smiles and a couple of great photos.

Awesome! That's exactly what I have in mind and thanks for sharing. I can see me being the guy waxing his rental car in the hotel parking lot.

I've also just seen photos of ZHZ's on the dragstrip, mowing down sidewalk cafes, and floating in the ocean. This is definitely a bucket list experience for me and I plan on having fun, but I don't desire ending up on the evening news either.

Also to anyone interested in renting, there are many active Hertz Promo Codes that knock off an additional 15% or more, just use the google.

I had to give a trial lawyer caliber presentation to convince the wife to upgrade from the Malibu, but after 20 solid minutes, being rejected, waiting an hour and then 20 more minutes of deliberations I sealed the deal. Powerpoint available. PM me
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
GMPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
That's an insane. I think the GS is cheaper and better equiped if I'm not mistaken. Can't you get a Z06 for around that?

Sticker does seem super high to me as well. Wish they would have taken a snapshot of the whole sticker instead of just the right side, but at least they're not passing the cost on to the customer. Hell, it's only $120 a week more than the Chrysler Sebring/V-6 Rustang!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
MikeSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPilot View Post
Sticker does seem super high to me as well. Wish they would have taken a snapshot of the whole sticker instead of just the right side, but at least they're not passing the cost on to the customer. Hell, it's only $120 a week more than the Chrysler Sebring/V-6 Rustang!

good point. I imagine they're hoping to make it up at their sales lot in about 2 years, selling it as a collector.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
The 2008 C6 ZHZ was built just for Hertz (Yellow & Black stripes) and is driven like "you stole it" day after day in the car rental world. Go out and enjoy it, some people have been known to buy them when they get put out to pasture........yeah right!!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
So, I clicked on the link to "rent it now" and it's nowhere on their website, just the convertible. And, I can't find any locations where I might be that have it. Great marketing!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPilot View Post
Howdy gang. Former lurker and longtime enthusiast who had to finally break the ice. I've had my Gen5 Camaro for about six months now, and every second of my driving life has FUN, even to the gas station and back.

Wife and I have booked five nights in Oceanside CA for our honeymoon this March. When the time came to rent the car, I lobbied to forgo the meaningless expenses (shopping, fancy dinners, etc) for a real experience and booked the C6 ZHZ from Hertz at San Diego International. It's always been a dream and at $550 for five days it was too perfect to pass up. My other research hasn't found any other Vettes for under $1300/week.

Anyone driven one yet?

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...orvettezhz.jsp
I rented one a few years back when I went out to Arizona,I beat it like a rented Mule

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
My wife rented me one for my birthday 2 years ago. It's just a normal c6 with the dual mode exhaust. Nothing fancy about it. It was a blast to drive as I was still driving my saturn everywhere. It was a very nice change of pace, and the exhaust note of a C6 vette is heavenly.

I quickly found that corvettes aren't for me as I have REALLY long legs.