Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
Rob21sf

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
As long as the V6 spindle is the same as the SS(bolt up), I think you should stongly consider the CTS-V calipers.....there is very little cost difference between the calipers....(on Amazon) and any cost difference is well worth the "Bad Ass" effect....like the other guy said.

And your car weighs almost as much as the SSs......so it needs just as much brake.

The amount of work is the same.....just depends if you want 4P or 6P.

Just when I thought I had my mind made up you gave me more food for thought! Thank you.
Rob21sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Rob it's like anything you will ever do to your car. You have to decide what you need as far as performance, then looks, and balance the cost. Admittedly looks play a role in my decision to go to the ZL1 set up but since I plan on doing HP mods I hope to get close to ZL1 power N/A.

With all that said the brakes on my 1LE SS are more than ample for stock performance and they should be more than enough for a rowdy V6 Camaro.

Decide what you NEED, then decide what you WANT... then figure out what you can AFFORD.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
i do not track my car and i upgraded to the cts v set up because i wanted them. i went with r1 rotors, pedders brake lines, hawk pads which i dont recommend just dont forget the new master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
I don't and I upgraded my brakes on my ss with the JDP package cause they look so ba. Especially with the wheels I have, the brakes stick out, the 6 piston brakes look massive next to the oe brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Rob it's like anything you will ever do to your car. You have to decide what you need as far as performance, then looks, and balance the cost. Admittedly looks play a role in my decision to go to the ZL1 set up but since I plan on doing HP mods I hope to get close to ZL1 power N/A.

With all that said the brakes on my 1LE SS are more than ample for stock performance and they should be more than enough for a rowdy V6 Camaro.

Decide what you NEED, then decide what you WANT... then figure out what you can AFFORD.
Basically it's like Firefighter said, if you want it and can afford it get what you want. Most people are on a budget and can't afford to endlessly spend money on mods. The stock SS Brembos are more than good for street use and daily driving. If you want to spend money on mods you can actually feel to improve your driving experience, there's better things to spend money on than what's essentially a cosmetic brake upgrade...unless you're building a show car, but it didn't sound like the OP was into that.

But like the man said:

"Decide what you NEED, then decide what you WANT... then figure out what you can AFFORD".

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob21sf View Post
Ok, if I went with a 09-12 CTS-V calipers for my V6, what brake rotors, brake pads and SS lines is recommended by the experts!

I do not track or drag race the car and it's a daily driver. Just looking to get peoples opinion on what are the components I can use with these calipers.
You will also need the caliper bolts, Pin kits and custom lines to complete the package as the SS lines are just a little short in our opinion. We had Goodridge build a set of lines specially for our CTS-V package. As for rotors, I would suggest the stock CTS-V rotors to keep the cost down. They are a great rotor for the price.

Our CTS-V brake upgrade package includes everything you need for the swap right down to the fluid and brake pads. We even offer powder coating to achieve the look you are going for. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
I don't and I upgraded my brakes on my ss with the JDP package cause they look so ba. Especially with the wheels I have, the brakes stick out, the 6 piston brakes look massive next to the oe brakes.
Looks killer! Thanks again for your business and support!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Maybe you can find someone who swapped out a SS to CTSV brakes. I had my full stock (front and rear) brakes sold before I had them off the car to a G8 owner. If going from the V6 brakes might want to get front and rear calipers. Going from 6 to 16 pistons is a huge upgrade. The G8 that got my stock SS brakes talks about how much better they look and perform.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
the ss brakes stock everything rotors pads calipers etc are great brakes. i have tracked my car with that and ss lines and dot 4 fluid.

once i got faster i upgraded the components of the ss brakes and now can outbrake gtrs on a road course wih zero brake fade in a automatic. i really cant say ctsv/zl1 front brake kits (the rears are the same as ss) are needed for anyone but the most hardcore and high powered road course cars. yes the front calipers are bigger with a bigger rotor.

do what you want, you came here for advice and you got it from mulitple people
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Between the rear CTSV and the SS was a slight difference. The pistons in the V calipers were hollow and a lot lighter than the pistons in the SS rears which were solid with a small hole. Not sure if all are like that, just what I noticed from the one set I've had my hands on from a V and a SS.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
The ZL1 upgrade package is not available last time I talked to my parts guy (today) you can buy a pieced together from the part numbers kit from one of the vendors but it's pretty pricey. I'm figuring/ hoping that the ZL1 kit will be closer to the CTS-V pricing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Ain't gonna happen in the near future. The ZL1 has brand value and Chevrolet wants to protect it. If you want a ZL1 logo on a six pot caliper you are going to pay a premium price for them. The CTS-V parts are a bargain.

use the CTS-V dual cast rotor, CTS-V brake pads front and rear along with Pedders brake lines.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #23
Rob21sf

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LLT
Thanks again everybody for the wealth of information!
Rob21sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I considered the CTS-V brake upgrade but then came across GEN5diy.com's 1LE brake take-off post - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287397

Great customer service - the 1LE red Brembo calipers and SS Rotors + Goodridge Stainless Steel brakelines are exactly what I wanted for my SIM 2010 RS A6 and the performance is great.

For a street ride with some autocross / SCCA Solo events this more than meets my needs and save me serious coin over the CTS-V option...
Attached Images

#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Ain't gonna happen in the near future. The ZL1 has brand value and Chevrolet wants to protect it. If you want a ZL1 logo on a six pot caliper you are going to pay a premium price for them. The CTS-V parts are a bargain.

use the CTS-V dual cast rotor, CTS-V brake pads front and rear along with Pedders brake lines.
Pete the thing is I don't want the logo. I'll actually try and come up with something that says 1LE.

My problem is that if you do a front and rear painted set up from one of the vendors it's approaching $4K. I can do it cheaper with used parts and rebuild them myself. It will be a hassle. If the GM kit is mid $2K I'm going to go that route. I want black calipers and don't necessarily need fancy rotors the factory stuff will be ample.

I would consider doing the Racing Brakes rebuild kits with the SS pistons, if I did used parts.

I'm still in the research phase. The stock SS brakes are really very good for the street and I can see them being adequate for the track until you reach a higher level of driving than I am currently capable of.

It is a 60/40 proposition for me right now 60% looks and 40% performance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited by Firefighter; 06-18-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Pete the thing is I don't want the logo. I'll actually try and come up with something that says 1LE.

My problem is that if you do a front and rear painted set up from one of the vendors it's approaching $4K. I can do it cheaper with used parts and rebuild them myself. It will be a hassle. If the GM kit is mid $2K I'm going to go that route. I want black calipers and don't necessarily need fancy rotors the factory stuff will be ample.

I would consider doing the Racing Brakes rebuild kits with the SS pistons.

I'm still in the research phase. The stock SS brakes are really very good for the street and I can see them being adequate for the track until you reach a higher level of driving than I am currently capable of.

It is a 60/40 proposition for me right now 60% looks and 40% performance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
the racingbrake rebuild kits for stock ss calipers come with new pistons. simply put i was not expecting a difference in performance or feel. the rebuild gave better heat management as well as a improved "feel" of the peddle. more feedback and control of the peddle was afforded by the rebuild kits.

I would recommend them to anyone...and have the 60% looks and 40% performance screams racingbrake even tho I am using them for 100% performance. They are offerin a complete brake kit using a new rotor, new caliper, fluid, lines, and pads that are getting the final tweaks out as we speak.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
they say a picture is worth a thousand words so look at the difference in the pads. the CTS-V brakes have almost twice the surface area as the ss brakes. not to mention that there are staggered sizes in the pistons of the V developed by GM to stop a heavy car. i melted the stock ss setup at VIR in two days.
the top pad is a hawk HP plus SS and the bottom is a hawk DTC 30 CTS-V.
Attached Images

JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
Firefighter

I knew this before you posted the pic. Did you really have to put up a photo and make me want these more? Thanks a lot... lol