Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Accident...side curtain airbags didn't deploy

What do you guys think, should the side curtain have deployed...was hit by a hummer no airbag deployment waiting to go get my wife from the hospital. My kids were in the back with their child seats and we (except for my wife) seem to be ok.
Attached Images

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
TheBandit18

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss M6
WOW I'm really sorry about the accident. I hope everything is ok with your wife I am glad everyone else is ok.

It hard to explain the whole airbag thing as of right now I'm in the same boat. I just go it all the way down the side of my car and no air bags but we were outside the car.

Keep us updated on if your wife is ok!
TheBandit18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I'm glad to hear you and your kids are OK. At first glance I would sure think the side curtain air bag would have gone off. If I understand your post correctly it sounds like no one was in the front passenger seat. There is a sensor in the seat that will prevent the passenger side front air bag from going off and maybe the side air bag is tied to the sensor as well? I would still think it would go off to protect back seat passengers.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I'm glad to hear you and your kids are OK. At first glance I would sure think the side curtain air bag would have gone off. If I understand your post correctly it sounds like no one was in the front passenger seat. There is a sensor in the seat that will prevent the passenger side front air bag from going off and maybe the side air bag is tied to the sensor as well? I would still think it would go off to protect back seat passengers.
I'm reading his wife was sitting right front but I agree it isn't clear..
Air bag algorithms are complex and require a lot input from different sensors before deployment. Maybe the airbag God didn't think it was necessary, cheaper to fix the car now.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Looks like a side swipe, it probably takes a more direct side hit to deploy the side airbags. Was it a sideswipe?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'm thinking side bags will only go off along with the front...dunno....frontal impacts set off the sides as well, but don't think only the sides will go off...just my guess...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
From the NHTSA website:

Airbags are designed to deploy only when they might be needed to prevent serious injury. In order for airbags to be effective they must deploy early in a crash; this typically occurs within the first 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds) in a frontal crash and within the first 20 milliseconds (0.02 seconds) in a side crash. A vehicle's airbag control module relies on feedback from sensors to predict whether a crash is severe enough to warrant airbag deployment.

Frontal airbags: Frontal airbags are designed to inflate in moderate to severe frontal crashes. Among airbags with advanced features that include a safety belt sensor, there are different inflation thresholds depending on whether people are using safety belts. One threshold used by airbag designers is "must deploy," which includes a situation such as an impact into a rigid wall at 10-12 mph if occupants are unbelted. The "must deploy" threshold is slightly higher — about 16 mph — for belted occupants because the belts alone are likely to provide adequate protection up to these moderate speeds. Frontal airbags may deploy to help protect occupants in side impacts if there is sufficient forward deceleration during the crash. If a vehicle is moving forward at the time of a side impact, frontal airbags can help prevent serious injuries.

Advanced airbags compliant with government crash performance standards have been required in all passenger vehicles since model year 2007. Advanced airbags are designed to suppress deployment or alter deployment characteristics to reduce the risk of injury by the airbag if weight sensors in the seat detect that a front-seat passenger is small or in a child safety seat. Advanced airbags also can deploy at a lower energy level or pressure when passengers are small or out of position, or if the crash is of very low severity.

Side airbags: Because of the small space between an occupant and the side of the vehicle, side airbags must deploy very quickly to cushion occupants from intruding vehicles or objects. Some airbags typically deploy within the first 10-20 milliseconds of a side crash. "Must deploy" thresholds can be as low as 8 mph for narrow object crashes (e.g., trees and poles) and 18 mph for the more distributed side crashes (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes). Several auto manufacturers deploy the side airbags in frontal crashes to help control occupant movement during the rebound phase of a crash.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Should have Deployed thats severe damage and easily could have prevented serious injurys from occuring.

This makes me think twice about the car's safety from a side impact.
revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Just noticed the induced damage above the B-pillar. Lots of damage there. Heal your family first and then let us know what the estimate is.
I would not drive it the way it sits.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
From the NHTSA website:

Airbags are designed to deploy only when they might be needed to prevent serious injury. In order for airbags to be effective they must deploy early in a crash; this typically occurs within the first 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds) in a frontal crash and within the first 20 milliseconds (0.02 seconds) in a side crash. A vehicle's airbag control module relies on feedback from sensors to predict whether a crash is severe enough to warrant airbag deployment.

Frontal airbags: Frontal airbags are designed to inflate in moderate to severe frontal crashes. Among airbags with advanced features that include a safety belt sensor, there are different inflation thresholds depending on whether people are using safety belts. One threshold used by airbag designers is "must deploy," which includes a situation such as an impact into a rigid wall at 10-12 mph if occupants are unbelted. The "must deploy" threshold is slightly higher — about 16 mph — for belted occupants because the belts alone are likely to provide adequate protection up to these moderate speeds. Frontal airbags may deploy to help protect occupants in side impacts if there is sufficient forward deceleration during the crash. If a vehicle is moving forward at the time of a side impact, frontal airbags can help prevent serious injuries.

Advanced airbags compliant with government crash performance standards have been required in all passenger vehicles since model year 2007. Advanced airbags are designed to suppress deployment or alter deployment characteristics to reduce the risk of injury by the airbag if weight sensors in the seat detect that a front-seat passenger is small or in a child safety seat. Advanced airbags also can deploy at a lower energy level or pressure when passengers are small or out of position, or if the crash is of very low severity.

Side airbags: Because of the small space between an occupant and the side of the vehicle, side airbags must deploy very quickly to cushion occupants from intruding vehicles or objects. Some airbags typically deploy within the first 10-20 milliseconds of a side crash. "Must deploy" thresholds can be as low as 8 mph for narrow object crashes (e.g., trees and poles) and 18 mph for the more distributed side crashes (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes). Several auto manufacturers deploy the side airbags in frontal crashes to help control occupant movement during the rebound phase of a crash.
Long story short, the airbags should've deployed. I hope your family is okay.
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Side airbags only deploy when your drifting sideways in a Camaro in a wide open parking lot with no chance of hitting anything so they can charge you crazy amounts of money to replace them....foolish boy...thinking they were there to protect you....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
You may have a case for a lawsuit. Give it some thought.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Thx everyone! My wife was in the passenger seat...we all were buckled and kids were in child restraints. I was driving at about 20 mph...she was at a stop and maybe hit me at about 10 mph...she then drove into the car and pushed us to the side of the road, maybe another 7 feet.

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
10mph into that portion of the car might be borderline on the side airbags going off. Looks like the force distributed pretty well across the side, might not have been enough.

I hope everyone is ok and recovers 100%.