Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Fast/Furious
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Difference in handling after installing the strut tower brace?

CAMARO 1LE STRUT TOWER BRACE Part #: 22756880

Is the difference in handling noticeable?
Fast/Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Unless you are really a car handling guy you'll likely feel no difference at all. The average driver is just not going to feel the difference.

But it does look good!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
A strut tower brace has it's place in a full suspension/chassis package, but there is much lower hanging fruit for someone that is just looking to improve street performance. Look into sway bars are rear cradle bushings.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
As far as a strut tower brace, really as APEX Chase stated there are other parts that need to be changed way before that brace.. I would say the Brace is dead last. If you still want one, do a search here and read. Car and Driver even explained it and for our car really its more for astetics than anything.
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I bought mine for stiffness over bumps as much as handling. I want the chassis to stay tight over time. I agree there is little difference in handling and it does look cool.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I bought mine for stiffness over bumps as much as handling. I want the chassis to stay tight over time. I agree there is little difference in handling and it does look cool.
I bought the GM vert brace.It helped over bumps. Other then that looks good with the engine bay mods and good place to sit your beer..lol
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
No numbers or proof that it does anything for our cars.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
i love when people say it does nothing for our cars but yet both the 1LE and ZL1 both have them!!! Next time i see Al O. im going to tell him its not needed and see what he says!!!
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast/Furious View Post

Yes but only for those 9 and 10 10ths drivers.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
They do stiffen the chassis, but that doesn't really translate into handling benefits. For the most part they just look good under the hood.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
i love when people say it does nothing for our cars but yet both the 1LE and ZL1 both have them!!! Next time i see Al O. im going to tell him its not needed and see what he says!!!
Hahaha. Please show me where non verts need further chassis strength or firmness in the front of the car.
GM does put stuff on cars because it looks cool. I would welcome any data that says the bar does any benefit in regards to handling. I would put the pfadt one in my garage on immediatly.

There are some folks that have made the bar look pretty slick...i always admire a well done up engine bay...let's be honest the LS isnt the prettiest thing around...it is a workhorse not a show engine without some serious treatment like what VRBaron has done.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Hahaha. Please show me where non verts need further chassis strength or firmness in the front of the car.
GM does put stuff on cars because it looks cool. I would welcome any data that says the bar does any benefit in regards to handling. I would put the pfadt one in my garage on immediatly.

There are some folks that have made the bar look pretty slick...i always admire a well done up engine bay...let's be honest the LS isnt the prettiest thing around...it is a workhorse not a show engine without some serious treatment like what VRBaron has done.
Thanks!
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast/Furious View Post

What you'll mostly notice from any two-point STB is a change in the NVH, and this is a good enough reason all by itself for most street driven cars.

The "butt-meter" isn't at all good at measuring small differences lateral g's, and will usually confuse a reduction in NVH with improved general chassis stiffness. At best, any two-point STB provides a local stiffness improvement.

Do not expect the addition of a STB to improve the actual cambers that the front tires actually run at while cornering by much, which is ultimately what stiffening the chassis torsionally is trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
To the extent that less NVH and a more solid-feeling chassis improves driver confidence to drive harder/closer to the limit, there is at least an indirect effect going on. Most of any overall performance benefit will be here. The emphasis here is on "feeling".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Out near the very limits of cornering, and more so with tires more grippy than true street tires, there is nearly always some benefit to adding chassis stiffness. If necessary, I can find a paper describing how adding a few carefully placed tubes even improved the stiffness of a full-cage tube frame NASCAR 'Cup' car.

Whether any actual measured performance improvement is worth the added weight and increased difficulty in accessing whatever lies below or behind the added stiffening is a whole 'nother question.

Norm
(mostly retired structural guy)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote