Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
DSS one piece driveshaft installed

Hey guys, last week I replaced my 1400 hp DSS axles with the new and improved version of the 1000 HP axles for better long term street use.

At the same time I had one of the DSS one piece aluminum driveshafts installed as well.

Overall, love the new parts. More solid feel to the car. My only complaint and its not really a complaint but at a very narrow velocity window of around 62 to 65 mph, if I hold that speed for any amount of time, I get some vibration in the car.

I have noticed that with the new driveshaft, I can "FEEL" the road more then with the factory driveshaft. This was expected and I do not mind it at all. They just chip sealed the main highway in my area and you can feel it more with the new driveshaft then the factory but again, that was expected.

Just curious if anyone else has similar vibration in a narrow speed window. Below 62 there is nothing at all. Above 62, nothing at all. As speed increases through this range, nothing, just when speed settles in this range for more then a few seconds, you can start to feel a slight vibration pattern. More of a minor bitch then anything else, just curious.

When I drive on the highway, I generally set the cruise at 65 mph just to keep rpms around 2000 for longer trips for milage. Guess I will have to bump that up to 70 mph!!! Not a bad thing!!

Curious if anyone else has any minor vibration patterns at cruising speeds.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Hey guys, last week I replaced my 1400 hp DSS axles with the new and improved version of the 1000 HP axles for better long term street use.

At the same time I had one of the DSS one piece aluminum driveshafts installed as well.

Overall, love the new parts. More solid feel to the car. My only complaint and its not really a complaint but at a very narrow velocity window of around 62 to 65 mph, if I hold that speed for any amount of time, I get some vibration in the car.

I have noticed that with the new driveshaft, I can "FEEL" the road more then with the factory driveshaft. This was expected and I do not mind it at all. They just chip sealed the main highway in my area and you can feel it more with the new driveshaft then the factory but again, that was expected.

Just curious if anyone else has similar vibration in a narrow speed window. Below 62 there is nothing at all. Above 62, nothing at all. As speed increases through this range, nothing, just when speed settles in this range for more then a few seconds, you can start to feel a slight vibration pattern. More of a minor bitch then anything else, just curious.

When I drive on the highway, I generally set the cruise at 65 mph just to keep rpms around 2000 for longer trips for milage. Guess I will have to bump that up to 70 mph!!! Not a bad thing!!

I've heard of people with the same complaints. My car may or may not have it. I can't tell.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Check both axles. Have car in neutral someone ready to hit breaks if needed. Go under rear of car and grab axle it should move 1/4 towards diff and 1/4 towards hub. Do this on both sides. If no movement on 1 of the axles the cv needs adjusting. I had this on mine and the cv was out too much on axle.
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I've heard of people with the same complaints. My car may or may not have it. I can't tell.

Your car probably flies through this speed range so quickly its impossible to tell!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
Check both axles. Have car in neutral someone ready to hit breaks if needed. Go under rear of car and grab axle it should move 1/4 towards diff and 1/4 towards hub. Do this on both sides. If no movement on 1 of the axles the cv needs adjusting. I had this on mine and the cv was out too much on axle.
I will check this, thanks. IF it does need to be adjusted, is this another trip to the service center I assume?

They are hitting me 5 hours of labor each time for these axles at $90 per hour. I do not mind paying for work to be done right and backed up by a good shop but this is getting a little spendy just to be installing, reinstalling and adjusting axles!!!

Guess not much you can do about it but I have a JRE smooth idle blower cam and injectors I would rather be spending $$ on!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Will this damage the axles if they are out of adjustment?

More to come!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
I will check this, thanks. IF it does need to be adjusted, is this another trip to the service center I assume?

They are hitting me 5 hours of labor each time for these axles at $90 per hour. I do not mind paying for work to be done right and backed up by a good shop but this is getting a little spendy just to be installing, reinstalling and adjusting axles!!!

Guess not much you can do about it but I have a JRE smooth idle blower cam and injectors I would rather be spending $$ on!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Will this damage the axles if they are out of adjustment?
I changed an axle in 45 minutes from start (wheel on still) to finish (filling diff with oil) in a night between racing. No lift just jack and jack stands and hand tools

5 hours is steep man

Might need to make sure driveshaft is balanced properly shrug
Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:

Teddy jr can swap a rear and both axles in less than an hour. I've done it with him. Either your shop is ripping you off or they have no clue wtf they're doing.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
I have definitely heard this from a couple people, pyr0boy and doc maybe?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Quote:

No trip needed. My issue was the passenger side cv by the diff. I gently worked it more towards the diff. I had 2 problems at the time. Also a clunk. This was the fix for the clunk but as a added bonus the vibrations also went away.
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Fiftydriver

Well, to be fair, it was quoted as 4.2 hours labor and it was done by the local Chevrolet service center. I know full well they estimate very high in labor time but do not really trust anyone else around my area to rip into my car. I guess the way I look at it, they brag about being a certified service center and cover their work 100% so if they ever screw it up, they will do what they say they will do!!!

Wish we had a performance shop around these parts but unfortunately, there is not one within a couple states and up here, states are PRETTY BIG!!!

Will look into it.

Thanks all for your input, all in all, very happy with the products.

More to come!!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
You may have to adjust your Pinion angle.

We do with every install of a 1 piece shaft.

Ted.

Quote:

Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Ted.
This.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Ted.
How big of a job is this? Are there any specs that I can take to the service center and say, I need the pinion angle adjusted to THIS angle?

Thanks, Why the hell do you have to be on the east coast!!!

More to come!!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
How big of a job is this? Are there any specs that I can take to the service center and say, I need the pinion angle adjusted to THIS angle?

Thanks, Why the hell do you have to be on the east coast!!!
Because I was Born Here

You have to slot the rear mount, adjust the pinion angle then weld flat washers over the slots to keep it in place.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote