Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Question Feeling rough?

*I'll start off by stating that I've already PC'd my car with SHR back in October of last year

So I washed my car today using the 2 bucket system, foam gun, etc.

I got the majority of water off my car with an electric leaf blower and then pulled my car into the garage to dry it off completely. I used some of Adam's Detail Spray to help with drying it. I mist some DS on the trunk of my car and grab a MF towel to wipe it off. As soon as I take the first wipe, I hear the most terrible noise in the world: as if I'm running my hand on sand paper!!! Of course, my first reaction as anyone else's was, "WTF?!?!" I look closer at my paint and I see these tiny white specs all over not just the trunk, but most of the top half of my car! The only thing that I can think of is that this accumulated on my drive back from C5Fest.

You gotta be effing kidding me...I had already planned to spend some time to study for M$ certification, but priorities come first: I decided to clay bar my car. It seemed like I had to clay bar each panel twice to get it silky smooth.

I just have this gut feeling that there's scratches and swirl marks all over my car now. My question is: Is it safe for me to attack my car again with SHR with the PC, or just let it be and have people point at my car and laugh?

Cliff notes:
1. Washed car
2. Drying car, discovered paint felt like crap
3. Inspected paint, white specs all over top half of car
4. Clay barred car twice, now I'm sure there's scratches and swirl marks on car
5. Can I PC car with SHR, even though I already did this last October

C'mon guys...help Yoshi out! Yoshi would help you!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Yes.. when ever you Clay the car or any part of the car, you should hit it with the Swirl and haze removal due to clay bars leaving a slight haze/residue behind.
Inspect to see if there are any areas with visual scratches that you need to work on.

You are actually still in the correct steps of finishing up the detailing of the car.

Rough outline of the steps:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Swirl & Haze removal
4. Polish
5. Wax
Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thanks for the speedy response, Ject! It's just that on another thread, Junkman says that SHR should only be used once in the lifetime of the car.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Thanks for the speedy response, Ject! It's just that on another thread, Junkman says that SHR should only be used once in the lifetime of the car.
I hope it turns out ok bro!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LS3 View Post
I hope it turns out ok bro!
Thanks brother!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Ject
aka Patrick

Quote:
It's just that on another thread, Junkman says that SHR should only be used once in the lifetime of the car.
hmmm what thread might that be? if you find it, let me know...

Swirl and Haze Remover Polish (SHR) should be used for removal of moderate paint defects such as swirl, minor scratches, minimal water etching, paint haze, light oxidation and other less serious paint defects.

Inspect the areas for any swirl or scratch marks, if you find them to be present go ahead and use the SHR. You can even use a less abrasive pad (like adams polish or waxing pads) if the damage isn't that serious.
Now.. don't confuse SHR with the new Severe Swirl Remover (green stuff)

Hope this helps
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
FMP would easily remove light marring from using the clay bar.. Probably no need for SHR. Sounds like someone was painting near your car :(

All I ever do anymore is lightly polish the light marring with FMP every 6 mo. or so...
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Ject
aka Patrick

Quote:
I believe what he ment is this:

In the lifetime of the car, you shouldn't have to use SHR more then once if you properly maintain the car. All you should ever need is to just polish and wax (seal) the car.
But... Things do happen and if there are swirl or scratches then something more abrasive is required to remove any damage

lol sorry, my mind couldn't stop thinking about it
Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Ditto the FMP

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
hmmm what thread might that be? if you find it, let me know...

Swirl and Haze Remover Polish (SHR) should be used for removal of moderate paint defects such as swirl, minor scratches, minimal water etching, paint haze, light oxidation and other less serious paint defects.

Inspect the areas for any swirl or scratch marks, if you find them to be present go ahead and use the SHR. You can even use a less abrasive pad (like adams polish or waxing pads) if the damage isn't that serious.
Now.. don't confuse SHR with the new Severe Swirl Remover (green stuff)

Hope this helps
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139753 Post 18

Yep, I don't think I would ever use SSR on my car, no need. Thanks for the info on your next reply as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
FMP would easily remove light marring from using the clay bar.. Probably no need for SHR. Sounds like someone was painting near your car :(

All I ever do anymore is lightly polish the light marring with FMP every 6 mo. or so...
Yeah, I'm guessing some of the haters in my neighborhood knew what they were doing Nobody can see somebody with something better than what they have.

I'm just not sure if whatever was on there before I started to wash actually got dragged along the paint while I was washing. I'll have to give my paint a good inspection tomorrow morning. So much for sleeping in, huh?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Theres so much garbage floating around in the air (especially on a windy day in socal) that its no surprise to have junk stuck to your paint sooner than expected. My wifes Equinox is a disaster right now - a building somewhere around 5 blocks away from here office was being painted. Looking at it you'd think they painted 5ft away, not 5 blocks.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Just got finished with my car...got up at 6:30 a.m. but I only focused on the top half of my car. Forget the bottom half

Then I go outside to wash off my PC pads and it's freakin' drizzling!! Good thing I don't have to go anywhere today. If it's raining tomorrow, I think I can start to feel sick right now right?

Yoshi thanks all of you guys that posted here, we award each and everyone of you 7 internets for your efforts!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
Glad you got it fixed! How about some pics? And as a rule- pick a small two by two area as a test spot. Start with the least aggressive method (in the cas of Adams that would be FMP) if that doesn't give you the results you want move up to the next level (again, with Adams that would be shr). Now here is a little note...if, after your inspection Using the least agressive method, you paint is almost good enough- then do another pass with the same polish eliminating a step

Ie...
First pass fmp=not perfect
Second pass shr=good then
Third pass back to fmp to remove hazing by shr.

Or...

First pass fmp= not perfect
Second pass fmp=perfec=done!

The decision to jump up to the next level of polish or not depends on your inspection after the first pass. If it's almost good just try another pass of the same level.
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thanks Chobbs! Normally, I'd get some pictures and show off...but it's drizzling outside for some reason If it clears up later on I'll get some, otherwise I'll have to wait until tomorrow.