Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Looking to buy a used 2012 zl1. Need some advice

First if all this is my first post. Love this forum.

I currently have a 370z. I test drove a zl1 and fell in love with it.

Currently dealership has it listed for 43. It is black 2012 with 9k miles. I am a bit concerned about buying a car like this without buying brand new being they are so high performance but can't afford new.

The car appears to be in excellent condition but has had two previous owners. Buying from a certified dealer.

Do you think tbe price is decent? Anything I need to look for? And would it be worth buying an extended warranty?

Thanks for your help
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post

Currently dealership has it listed for 43. It is black 2012 with 9k miles. I am a bit concerned about buying a car like this without buying brand new being they are so high performance but can't afford new.

The car appears to be in excellent condition but has had two previous owners. Buying from a certified dealer.

Do you think tbe price is decent? Anything I need to look for? And would it be worth buying an extended warranty?

Thanks for your help
Congrats and Welcome aboard.

Your purchasing a factory race car, most of the people who buy these never race them or use them much for that matter, they stick them in a garage and save them for someone like you to purchase used.

9K is just breaking in, There is only or 2 recalls that would need to be done, the new blower and the key fob.

Have them service all the Oils, Engine Trans, and Rear, and your ready to go enjoy a ride like no other.

I Get to drive all exotic cars from mild to Crazy Wild and by far this ZL-1 is the most impressive car I have ever owned.

I drive it to dinner, Drag race it, and put over 500 miles on a road coarse without a whimper.

If you need any advice or help with performance mods don't hesitate to contact me.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Yep, at 9k mikes, the car is still a baby. Check to see if it's still equipped the original F1 supercar tires. If so, that would be a good indicator that it hasn't been abused. Most people don't get much more than 10k out of them, so if they are still on there, it was babied.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions and welcome to the forum.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

Thanks for your help
my .02 if you going to stay 100% stock and you don't enjoy working on cars you can buy and extended waratny if you want but the cost never works out in my mind.

If you going to mod ever don't even think about it.

I think the price is fair. I have been pondering offing my car and have been looking around. I have seen a couple of 2012 ebay cars go for like 41k but shipping would set you back 1k.

If find these cars to be really easy to work on and pretty stout so waranty on anyting other than the electronics I could car less about. most of the time they would waranty that stuff even if the car was tuned.

it really comes down to can you be the guy that keeps it stock? many people say they will but break down and add 75-80hp because it is so easy and the car tolerates it with factory drivablity and reliability.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
370zyzfr1

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I used to race street bikes and did all my mods myself. With cars it's different for me. I typically don't do any mods myself. Now having said that, I do like the zl1 stock but I could see going with The ADM (? Spell ) package at some point. Will that void the warranty?

Also, stupid of me for not stating what my tensions were with the car. At most I put on 3k miles a year and fairly easy driving. Spirited driving but never really hard. I don't track or race. Just a weekend car. Motorcycles used to be my hobby and started to crack into cars with my 370z. I am a huge nissan fan but you just don't get much bang for your buck as compared to the zl1.

Anyway, the one I am looking at does not have original wheels. I thought the same thing but realized he has put 22s on new Giovanni rims which are ok. All black. So I can't tell how it has been driving from the tires.

They do have a 2013 used with few less miles but they want 47 for that.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Basically any package that requires a tune will throw the manufacturer warranty out the window, but these are honestly very stout cars. GM left about 200 WHP on the table with basic bolt-ons and a cam package. Our JDP ZL-850 packages are getting quite popular as well as our ZL-700 Package for those who don't want to get into the engine yet.

If you search around, you'll find many 700+ RWHP ZL1's on this site that get used and abused with no real problems. As long as you use quality parts and have a builder and tuner who knows what they're doing you shouldn't have any issues.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
hognutz

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I used to race street bikes and did all my mods myself. With cars it's different for me. I typically don't do any mods myself. Now having said that, I do like the zl1 stock but I could see going with The ADM (? Spell ) package at some point. Will that void the warranty?

Also, stupid of me for not stating what my tensions were with the car. At most I put on 3k miles a year and fairly easy driving. Spirited driving but never really hard. I don't track or race. Just a weekend car. Motorcycles used to be my hobby and started to crack into cars with my 370z. I am a huge nissan fan but you just don't get much bang for your buck as compared to the zl1.

Anyway, the one I am looking at does not have original wheels. I thought the same thing but realized he has put 22s on new Giovanni rims which are ok. All black. So I can't tell how it has been driving from the tires.

They do have a 2013 used with few less miles but they want 47 for that.

yeah you don't want 22's on this car. you won't hook up and these cars come with factory forged rims that are worth more than the aftermarket rims people put on half the time.

modding these cars will pretty much scrap you powertrain waranty but like I said it is pretty robust.

that being said at 3k a year you will time out not mile out on waranty.

if you buy a 12 at 10k you will only have 16-19k by the time your waranty times out.

most of these cars are going to go that milage trouble free the one varible in the blower and that has a factory waranty extension.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
370zyzfr1

Good point on the wheels. Would want to get those changed out. But they need to come down in price a bit for this to work or I will have to keep looking for better deals. Figured now would be a great time to buy.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
This may be worth looking into...Less money, less miles & stock polished wheels.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382470
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
370zyzfr1

Just sent him a pm. Thanks for the heads up. Really like this forum.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Bigtime53

Someone put 22's on the Z? That would scare the crap out of me! I would look around some more. With 22's I would think someone had to re-tune the car for that size of tire? I don't know for sure but check that out.Maybe someone here will correct me if I am wrong.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Well at least you know with 22's on it hasn't been tracked. BUT you might as well figure that into the price as you shouldn't be caught dead in a ZL1 with 22's.

As others have said it's just broken in and built for the track so no worries. I'd be happy to direct you to the For Sale thead section for those wheels though.

Also, what's the last 4 of the VIN. These cars are numbered and one of the owners might have been on C5... Check here
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Someone put 22's on the Z? That would scare the crap out of me! I would look around some more. With 22's I would think someone had to re-tune the car for that size of tire? I don't know for sure but check that out.Maybe someone here will correct me if I am wrong.
No re-tune needed because tire height is still the same!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Hated the Goodyears, but 22s? Lol. My kids are getting bigger and complain about the rear legroom. Looked at some SRXs, but with 32k miles, they aren't offering me enough for kids leg room lol. I just got mine back today from the blower replacement. I drive mine ever day and it is really a gr8 engineered machine. You won't be disappointed.