Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
That's it's only function. It's to make sure you don't lower the top with no room for it in the trunk.
It's a pretty serious function. I really don't understand why anyone would want or even be willing to bypass it.

I guess I've never had a problem with my net, because I've never retracted it. The only time you're supposed to retract it is if the top is up and you want to load items in there that would interfere with the top.

I just know if I ever bypassed it, I'd end up crushing something important in my trunk, or more likely, ruining my top and paying for the repair out of pocket, since there's no way it would be covered under warranty.

Anyway, your cars, your decisions. =) Kuddos to the OP for figuring out a solution he likes.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
It's a pretty serious function. I really don't understand why anyone would want or even be willing to bypass it.

I guess I've never had a problem with my net, because I've never retracted it. The only time you're supposed to retract it is if the top is up and you want to load items in there that would interfere with the top.

I just know if I ever bypassed it, I'd end up crushing something important in my trunk, or more likely, ruining my top and paying for the repair out of pocket, since there's no way it would be covered under warranty.

Anyway, your cars, your decisions. =) Kuddos to the OP for figuring out a solution he likes.
The only things that have ever been in my trunk are groceries, a really nice canopy lawn chair that I take to car shows/meets and a couple of suitcases. All of those things I could not load/unload in the trunk without having to retract the net, load/unload the items and then put the net back. They all fit under the net and its just annoying to have to use that net all the time, just in case I want to drop the top.

Honestly it's a nanny sensor that I can do without, like the skip shift.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
shl4Z28

Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
I put no junk in my trunk... ever.
shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Same with me, nothing goes in the trunk of my car
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post

I just know if I ever bypassed it, I'd end up crushing something important in my trunk,
Like the 5th bow?
Yep I've been nabbed by not having the net in place too, but luckily never in a public place. I've done plenty of other things to embarrass myself in public or at a boat ramp though.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
jmillsys

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Camaro Convertible
The only thing I put in my trunk is the wife so as not to nag me when I plant it

jmillsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #21
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
8/8/11 This has annoyed me more often than I can count. I am cleaning my car or out driving around and I want to put my top down. I pull off to the side of the road, unlatch the top and nothing happens. The damn safety net thing isn't pulled out! I have to get out of the car pop, the trunk, oh wait, the trunk won't pop unless I latch the top back up! I latch the top, pop the trunk, get out of the car, walk to the trunk, open the trunk, pull out the clearance net, try a couple of times to get both ends in the slots, close the trunk, get back in the car unlatch the to for the second time and now I can FINALLY put my top down!

LOL.. this is me .. often

But, I'm such a scatterbrain sometimes, I think I'll leave it plugged in for a while.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
vanlieremead
Chris

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Jewel Red 6.2L Vert
Doesn't the top sit on the net for a purpose? I would not recommend bypassing any intended feature to protect the top.
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
Doesn't the top sit on the net for a purpose? I would not recommend bypassing any intended feature to protect the top.
The top doesn't touch the net at all. It's just a dummy check to make sure you don't put something too tall in the trunk which would not let the top sit all the way down. It won't damage the top if you ever did have something too big in the trunk, it will only make it stick up a bit.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
I believe the issue is with the glass window, NOT the top. If you lower the top with something too tall in the trunk it can break/shatter the glass rear window. Don't know on the new Camaro, but in some cars if you break the convertible glass rear window it requires the entire top to be replaced. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Knew someone (not in a Camaro) who put their top down while out and forgot they had stuff in the trunk. Powered the top down, almost down, motor strains/slows, POP!!!!!! Followed by the sound of the bits of shattered glass flying around in the trunk.

EDIT:
http://premierupholstery.com/services/convtop/gwindow

"However, a surprisingly large number of breakages result from "operator error". These are situations where normal top operation is impeded in some way. In a very common scenario, the window breaks because items stored in the boot prevent it from folding down properly.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 02-03-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #25
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
if you were to lower the top on a dead hooker, it could break the rear glass. i'm just sayin' theoretically speaking of course....
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
If your rear window breaks on your Camaro Convertible it does need a new top. There is no provision to get the glass out and replace. Another fine design flaw by Chevrolet
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
holy moly i had a heck of a time unplugging that sucker........!
2011*Camaro*SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #28
kirstie4422

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 1LT RS
Hey you guys are car studs. They put in this feature for people like my grandma who busted two different rear windows on her Buick Convertible putting it down with items in her trunk! And those are the people who say "You would think they would put a sensor in the trunk so you wouldn't be able to put the top down with items in your trunk that might cause damage". LOL

But leave it to this group to discover a way around it!
kirstie4422 is offline   Reply With Quote