Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Oops. ZR1 pace car tags the wall at Detroit.

I guess it was some bigwig purchasing guy from GM behind the wheel. Back end got away from him under power. Everyone was ok but race was delayed for 34 min to clean up.
Backup ZR1 was brought out with the real pace car driver and race got off ok after that.

Man, that poor dude is never going to live that one down.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I guess it was some bigwig purchasing guy from GM behind the wheel. Back end got away from him under power. Everyone was ok but race was delayed for 34 min to clean up.
Backup ZR1 was brought out with the real pace car driver and race got off ok after that.

Man, that poor dude is never going to live that one down.
Not a Purchasing exec. It was Mark Reuss, head of Product Development. And probably a better track driver than 90% of the members on this newsgroup. Not so much a surprised by the power issue. More of a hitting a bump while applying power thing.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Never said he was a good or bad driver. Just that he lost the back end.
And I did hear Purchasing when they (the network broadcast) were describing the driver.
Maybe he heads up more than one group?

Anyway, hope he has a better day tomorrow!
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
GM exec Mark Reuss crashes pace car at Detroit Grand Prix

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...rix/667677002/
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not a Purchasing exec. It was Mark Reuss, head of Product Development. And probably a better track driver than 90% of the members on this newsgroup. Not so much a surprised by the power issue. More of a hitting a bump while applying power thing.
He's not gonna live that one down for a loooong time.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Never said he was a good or bad driver. Just that he lost the back end.
And I did hear Purchasing when they (the network broadcast) were describing the driver.
Maybe he heads up more than one group?

Anyway, hope he has a better day tomorrow!
Wasn’t trying to bust your chops. I just know the people involved so I wanted to provide the correct info and add that this wasn’t a “novice driver” thing. The head of Purchasing does report to Mark.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 06-04-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
I guess I can apply for his job now . I wont let that happen if I drive a ZR1 .
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Great publicity

Its okay to screw up if you learn something from the event. I bet he evaluates and applies what he's learned.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I believe Mark Reuss is Executive VP of Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain.

So although WE like to think of him as head of Product Development, he is also, technically at least, a Purchasing Executive.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
He's not gonna live that one down for a loooong time.

Trust me. He's already forgotten about it. Life moves on for these multi millionaires. They don't sit around and sulk. They are too busy hanging in their 10,000 sq ft mansions. Golfing and swimming n their 1000 sq ft pools. I know I wouldn't care if I wrecked it. I'd go home, bang the wife, then hit the golf course. Big whoop. He hit the wall.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #11
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Guess the traction control was off?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Guess the traction control was off?
The accident is a fault of race control and corner marshals being asleep. Nothing to do with Reuss driving.

This pic illustrates very clearly why it happened.

Had he not lifted to avoid a sure collision somebody would have probably died in that 2 seater which was practically "parked" just a few car lengths ahead of charging cavalry.

It is obvious the 2 seater had no idea the pace lap had started and they were closing very fast. Neither Reuss had any clue the very slow moving 2 seater was just one corner away from him. And directly in his corner exit path.

When a pace lap starts, a track is supposed to be clear, but it wasnt. Hence a major error by race control, which could have ended much much worse.

The fact that Reuss willingly took it "for the team" has nothing to do with why it really happened. Clearly senior GM exec wasnt about to openly criticize Indycar (which they sponsor) for a major brain fart.
Attached Images

TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Trackclub, good eye. Totally missed the car in front of the ZR1.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Trackclub, good eye. Totally missed the car in front of the ZR1.
I saw it happen live and it was the very first thing a tv commentator mentioned. But (not surprisingly) nobody mentioned it ever again...

Instead social media blamed Reuss for power oversteer yet adding power would have been a very last thing on his mind after popping out of that blind corner (while building speed) and suddently seeing a slow moving (and weaving!!!) 2 seater - 5 maybe 6 car lengths in front of him.

Reuss has a split second to react. And he did the only thing that was available to him to avoid a sure collision.
It is that simple. Also interesting folks laugh at Chevy's comment about "track conditions" yet it is a factual comment when applied to the track not being clear in front of the pace lap.

Bottom line: race control wasnt in control.

Having said all that i absolutely love Indycar and imo it is the best racing on the planet right now!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote