Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Drove the Tail of the Dragon

OK so long story short; amazing road ruined by Harley Davidson. But onto something interesting:

So I had just driven "the tail" (lame) and pulled over at an obvious stop on the NC side. I'm standing there taking a picture of this dragon made of auto parts and I notice some 5th Gen Camaro bits in there!

How many can you spot?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
2. Muffler and manifold+cats
Old 07-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I'm down there fairly often (though it's been a month and a half or so). Have to hit the road either really early or late this time of year or you'll have to deal with commuters, tourists, and bikers. It's a public road with a focus on bikers at either end (Harley Davidson on the TN side and the bike Motel on the NC side). In the offseason it's awesome, nobody on the road and the leaves are gone and you see clearly just how far you have to fall. LOL.

Thankfully didn't lose any parts to add to the tree when I scrubbed a guardrail down there a few months ago.

Love me some Dragon though.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
2. Muffler and manifold+cats
this was all i could find too, though some other parts may be there and unrecognizable
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
We still visit "The Dragon" yearly, but the 30 mph speed limit, baggers clogging everything up and add in the THP Nazis - US129 has lost a lot of it's original charm and luster.

Shady Valley, TN "The Snake" offers the same challenging twisties and is way more enthusiast friendly!

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
amazing road ruined by Harley Davidson.
Why do you say this???
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
DaveC

Drives: 2016 LT1 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Why do you say this???
Cause every new harley rider at some point wants to travel there to demonstrate their inadequate riding skills, and get picture at the sign with a doorag and vest... I ride a harley and know exactly the type, and don't like getting stuck behind them either...

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
I was down there several months ago, and had a really positive experience, with the exception of the idiot with the flatbed hauling a car up there going below the speedlimit and refusing to pull to the side.

But everyone else if you came up on them they would generally pull off to the side when a chance arose to let you pass. Honestly everyone there for sport seemed quite courteous. It was a lot better than driving on the interstate surrounded by a bunch of non-drivers texting while going 65 in the fast lane.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
NotYetLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Why do you say this???
Half of the drive I was stuck behind two outrageously hideous Harleys with two pairs of the fattest people I have ever seen on each of them. They were hitting 18mph on the straight parts, less in the curves, and throwing their hands up at every turn that has the dudes taking pictures ( as in, "look how carazy I am! Flying down this road even though I'm over the hill and a huge fatass..."). It was disgusting frankley. They wouldn't pull over, they honestly though that THEY were going as fast as anyone would dare drive the road. Sucked.

Its Harley's fault for all this " lifestyle marketing" horseshit that they sell. People just want to "look" like a Harley rider or something... they have no interest in actually gaining cycle riding proficiency. Just find the gnarliest road they can, drive from one side to the other over and over buying stickers and t shirts, turn in early and tell their friends how bad as a their "lifestyle" is. The whole thing is gross to me.

Remove the Harley bar, the sticker shop and the bike motel and you would have one hell of a road.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
NotYetLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Cause every new harley rider at some point wants to travel there to demonstrate their inadequate riding skills, and get picture at the sign with a doorag and vest... I ride a harley and know exactly the type, and don't like getting stuck behind them either...

Yes exactly. I'm not saying all Harley Davidson are bad or that all of the people that ride them are either. I love bikes, they are cooler than cars IMO. But there is a certain "type" of Harley rider that the brand is capitalizing on in a very annoying way.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
Half of the drive I was stuck behind two outrageously hideous Harleys with two pairs of the fattest people I have ever seen on each of them. They were hitting 18mph on the straight parts, less in the curves, and throwing their hands up at every turn that has the dudes taking pictures ( as in, "look how carazy I am! Flying down this road even though I'm over the hill and a huge fatass..."). It was disgusting frankley. They wouldn't pull over, they honestly though that THEY were going as fast as anyone would dare drive the road. Sucked.

Its Harley's fault for all this " lifestyle marketing" horseshit that they sell. People just want to "look" like a Harley rider or something... they have no interest in actually gaining cycle riding proficiency. Just find the gnarliest road they can, drive from one side to the other over and over buying stickers and t shirts, turn in early and tell their friends how bad as a their "lifestyle" is. The whole thing is gross to me.

Remove the Harley bar, the sticker shop and the bike motel and you would have one hell of a road.
Okay, so you think there should be a ban on fat, older, Harley people... and that would make your road more enjoyable to you? To hell with what they enjoy - I see.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Grin, IMO this is the ONLY thing the factory muffler is good for.... well, maybe a bass boat anchor...
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
I drove it last week on my way back home to Florida from Toronto and had an absolute blast! I had no issues with Harleys and when I stopped at the look out I chatted with a group of Harley riders who were all very nice. They loved my ZL1, said they could hear me coming! A couple of them even took pictures of my car! I wouldn't get bent out of shape with guys going slow, let them enjoy the road too and at their pace! I'm sure the Ducati and sport bike riders gripe about the slow ads Camaro drivers too! Without the biker tourists in the area,and I saw way more bikes than cars, I bet the road wouldn't be maintained the way it is.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
We used to have a rally down there every year, stay for a week & ride all the surrounding roads.

the dragon is a fun novelty trip/road.

There are lots of people there for the 1st time & don't know the road etiquette.

The type of people you encounter is dependent on the time of day & the day of the week.