Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Chad52

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Need replacement Driveshaft Coupling for 2010 SS

Hello All,

I have a 2010 SS V8 6spd manual Camaro. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a rumbling developing in the driveline at low speeds, under acceleration, but disappearing over ~25mph. I took it in to my mechanic and found out that 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the driveshaft to the front transmission coupling had backed out and were gone, and the one remaining was beginning to wear. We were able to source the replacement bolts and replaced them. After the replacement, the noise mostly went away, but now, after sitting up all night, when I first take it out, I still get a faint rumbling around 15mph, but now both accelerating and decelerating. It goes away after about 15 minutes of driving, which makes it hard to get it back to the shop to diagnose. I ended up leaving it overnight so they could check it first thing in the morning and they were able to duplicate the rumble. After digging in again, they think that the coupling is worn / wallered out and needs to be replaced. That being the case, they identified it as part number 92249108, which appear to be the coupling kit with the bolts, or just 92228328 for just the coupler. The problem is that both of these items are discontinued and I can't find a replacement to order anywhere. Does any body have any ideas on where to purchases these items, or if not, what the recommended replacement is?
Thx in advance. - Chad
Chad52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
There is an LS breaker near Athens that has them used for $50. Check your private messages for his contact number.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:26 AM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
If you can't get an OEM replacement, go with an aftermarket 1 piece driveshaft such as DSS, GForce, etc
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
JRBumfuddle

Drives: '12 SS Silver Ice Metallic
Yes, I believe the couplers are discontinued unfortunately.
JRBumfuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I was having the same trouble locating the correct coupler. I found one on eBay that I believe is the correct OEM part (see link). Be careful I also saw some shoddy copies on eBay that I wouldn't trust. I'll Compare it to my original when I get it and let you know for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35362933186...AAAOSwV-FgYgBn
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
ABM2SS

The part that I ordered off eBay is the correct OEM part.
A word of caution. My car being an early build (June 2009) originally came with a smaller coupler. I updated it to the newer design years ago after braking a bolt and realizing that the replacement bolts were larger and didn't fit. With some investigation GM had changed to a more robust design sometime in 2010.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #7
sehovarter
HomezSS

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Camaro, 2011 Silverado
Anyone resolve this issue yet? i too am in need of a flex coupler for my 2014 SS - heat from my aftermarket exhaust is melting mine. currently I have a friend at GM who submitted a "help a friend" internal request. GM customer service rep has called me 2 times, first to confirm my year, model, VIN, then he called stating he contacted their customer satisfaction group, who told him I could by them from Summit Racing or Rock Auto. I informed him that was untrue - the are "unobtainium". he is due to get back to me. surprised DorMan has not picked this up - they have a lot for other cars, including corvettes. originally made in germany by Bilstein I believe for AC Delco, I have tried to see if any of the Guibo's for the german cars will fit, but not having much luck cross-referencing. hoping GM can come thru with a positive answer/solution!! otherwise, I might be getting an aluminum driveshaft from someone....... ugh!
2014 SS/RS, FR Style 41's, 20x10x4, Borla CatBack with Touring Mufflers w/Magnaflow Glasspacks, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Diablo 91 Octane Tune, Firm Shift, AFM off, BMR cradle inserts, trailing arms and toe links, 1LE/ZL1 Rear Sway Bar, Jannetty Custom Tune for mods noted above (noticable change to how the car drives!!), JL Audio XD700/5 amp and 10 inch Sub, Focal PS 165K's, special wiring kit and amp board, and lots of dynamat (Amazon version) - Sounds GREAT, Runs Even Better!
sehovarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #8
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehovarter View Post
Anyone resolve this issue yet? i too am in need of a flex coupler for my 2014 SS - heat from my aftermarket exhaust is melting mine. currently I have a friend at GM who submitted a "help a friend" internal request. GM customer service rep has called me 2 times, first to confirm my year, model, VIN, then he called stating he contacted their customer satisfaction group, who told him I could by them from Summit Racing or Rock Auto. I informed him that was untrue - the are "unobtainium". he is due to get back to me. surprised DorMan has not picked this up - they have a lot for other cars, including corvettes. originally made in germany by Bilstein I believe for AC Delco, I have tried to see if any of the Guibo's for the german cars will fit, but not having much luck cross-referencing. hoping GM can come thru with a positive answer/solution!! otherwise, I might be getting an aluminum driveshaft from someone....... ugh!
Please let us know what you find out because I think I need one too.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
ABM2SS

Quote:
I was having the same trouble locating the correct coupler. I found one on eBay that I believe is the correct OEM part (see link). Be careful I also saw some shoddy copies on eBay that I wouldn't trust. I'll Compare it to my original when I get it and let you know for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35362933186...AAAOSwV-FgYgBn
Per my earlier post, the link above will yield the correct part. I now have 15,000 miles on it with no issue.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:37 AM   #10
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If you do a search on the GAC02-004 part # from the EBAY listing and visible in the picture above, you can find several several sources that indicate that these work for the 5th gens.
https://www.driveshaftparts.com/inde...roduct_id=4516
https://www.powertrainindustries.com...make=Chevrolet

It also appears that these work with several Dodge/Chrysler V8's that seem to be easily sourced.

A little more digging will turn up some dimensions for the Dodge/Chrysler for comparison
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-65026-935-601.aspx
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #11
ABM2SS

Yep. Just be careful there are some crappy-looking copies out there. I made sure to order one with the correct markings ("GAC02-004", "SGF", "GERMANY"...).
Old 06-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #12
sehovarter
HomezSS

So GM came back and the service rep (nice guy, Paul) said he contacted customer satisfaction team who said "you can buy them from Summit or Rock Auto". I told Paul "um no, you can't". he said "let me get back to them". Final answer from GM "um, we don't make them any more, so you will have to try eBay or salvage yards". very disappointing. I did email DorMan - they seem to have a bunch of these for vettes and BMW's. i told them GM has discontinued this part and there are over 700,000 gen5 Camaro owners who are going to need them eventually! have not hear anything back yet, looks like at some point my plan B (get a one piece drive shaft) will become Plan A - UGH! i picked up 2 from a used SS off eBay - to buy myself a little time. seller had the entire drive shaft for sale, I told him "keep the hardware, just send the flex joints" if anyone can find a part the right size from another vehicle please post. seems like Summit or Rock Auto, or even AC Delco would have provided that info. Bilstien made the originals in Germany I believe, I emailed them, but got the US shocks and struts group, and they said they are not the right part of the company to ask.....
2014 SS/RS, FR Style 41's, 20x10x4, Borla CatBack with Touring Mufflers w/Magnaflow Glasspacks, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Diablo 91 Octane Tune, Firm Shift, AFM off, BMR cradle inserts, trailing arms and toe links, 1LE/ZL1 Rear Sway Bar, Jannetty Custom Tune for mods noted above (noticable change to how the car drives!!), JL Audio XD700/5 amp and 10 inch Sub, Focal PS 165K's, special wiring kit and amp board, and lots of dynamat (Amazon version) - Sounds GREAT, Runs Even Better!
Old 06-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #13
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
It really is crazy that a wear item like this would be discontinued, How is that even allowed. I am surprised the after market has not jumped on this, Not everyone is going to one a 1 piece nor should they be forced to buy one. I probably will switch to a one piece at some point because I want to .
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:39 PM   #14
sehovarter
HomezSS

All - I might have just found one??

https://www.actionmachineinc.com/pro...14936957648948

not 100% sure but this websites vehicle fitment says Camaro, challenger and Cayanne/Touraeg..........