Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
That guy hates pretty much anything American made cars. But just like anyone not from the US, they love our way of life but they hate us for who we are. Trust me, it sounds weird but that how they view us.
Jeremy clarkson called the ZR1 the 2008 car of the year he loved it so much
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
Chronomaro

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Clarkson generally has a lead foot and takes what power a car can give. Its the reason the Stig was able to make the ZR1 faster than the R8(and on the board, faster than the McLaren SLR). R8 for those that want to be driven, the ZR1 for those that want to drive. At least thats my conclusion from that review. Hammond probably could have driven better than Clarkson if given a chance in the ZR1.

Clarkson doesn't hate all things American; he owns a Ford GT. He did sell it so he could move it up the Cool Wall, but bought it back after a month.

Them loving our way of life but hating us comes down to simple(but sometimes valid) stereotyping. They often bring up Vietnam. And then they ignore our efforts in WWII and believe they defeated the Germans single handedly. They also mention how we can't make a car that'll do anything besides a straight line and forget the ZR1's and Cobalt SS/TC's times at Nürburgring.

For how much Clarkson and May hate us, I still love them. Hammond all the more since he's actually open minded about the US.
Chronomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Maybe it's because of my location (gotta love South Florida) and how often I see cars like these, but I don't think the R8 is that much more impressive in person than a ZR-1. I'd take the ZR-1 over the R8 without thinking twice. I'm lucky enough to know someone who owns a black/black '09 ZR-1 and I have spent a few minutes in the passenger seat at full throttle and that thing is absolutely insane!

Oh yea, and Top Gear is awesome.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Every time there's a thread on Top Gear, it's the same old crap.

Here's a Top Gear Top Tip for everyone here:

Top Gear is not a serious car show. It is an entertainment show where the props happen to be cars.

Clarkson says stuff for entertainment value. He makes fun of all nationalities (seriously, stop foaming at the mouth cause he made fun of America, laugh a little, and listen long enough to hear him make a World War 2 joke about a German car). Hell, he makes fun of British cars ("assembled by a couple of blokes from melted down toilet seats in a shed in Yorkshire"). He makes fun of stereotypes because it's freaking funny.

Clarkson declared the ZR1 car of the year...he does NOT hate that car. He is well on the record of liking the Viper as well. And the Ford GT, despite it not liking him back.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I would take the R8 hands down, yeah the ZR1 has more power but it still looks like a corvette (don't get me wrong it looks awesome)... most people wouldn't even know the difference between the C6 and ZR1. The R8 looks like a monster.
And who can spot the difference between a regular R8 and one with a V10? The visual clues on a ZR1 (exposed carbon fibre and polycarbonate hood window) are a tad more obvious than replacing flat black accents with glossy ones or oval shaped exhaust tips instead of round. There's more differences on each car, but I'm sure you get the point. Park a ZR1 next to a base coupe and more people could tell the difference (and that its something special) than if there were a pair of R8's sitting side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
Yes, exactly. This is why I sometimes don't buy into magazine articles, they make the oddest arguments, as if somebody is going to get bored with the r8. That doesn't even make sense. He gets more excited by the zr1 because he loses control more often, and I think that's terrible logic.
From what I saw he wasn't losing control. Is it harder? Yes. But that makes for a more rewarding driving experience. Going around a corner with the tail hanging out requires a great deal of control and is quite different than losing it in the corner. Compare how the two did in their timed lap (on a wet course which heavily favours the less powerful AWD car) and the ZR1 was still faster.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
Chronomaro

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
I think I could spot the difference if they are still using the Gallardo V10 that was in the prototype. At least when it catches fire.

Please tell me they fixed that issue.
Chronomaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #21
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
Every time there's a thread on Top Gear, it's the same old crap.

Here's a Top Gear Top Tip for everyone here:

Top Gear is not a serious car show. It is an entertainment show where the props happen to be cars.

Clarkson says stuff for entertainment value. He makes fun of all nationalities (seriously, stop foaming at the mouth cause he made fun of America, laugh a little, and listen long enough to hear him make a World War 2 joke about a German car). Hell, he makes fun of British cars ("assembled by a couple of blokes from melted down toilet seats in a shed in Yorkshire"). He makes fun of stereotypes because it's freaking funny.

Clarkson declared the ZR1 car of the year...he does NOT hate that car. He is well on the record of liking the Viper as well. And the Ford GT, despite it not liking him back.
This is absolutely true. I think maybe people have seen too many vignettes and not full episodes. Also, they don't get into all the stats and crap like Motorweek does, they mention a few key items then they drive around pretty locations and wrap it up at a track. It's a travelogue for cars.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #22
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
i love how later on in the episode they build what is essentially a chevy volt and declare james may a genius for coming up with such a novel idea.

if it were up to me i would definitely get the Audi R8 V10 rather than the ZR1. considering if i had the money i would already have a Z06 and each one of the muscle cars already. i would need something that has the most marvelous interior ive seen in a 2 door supercar.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
and thanks to the BBC, its gone
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #24
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
The R8 is very pretty, but I'll take the ZR1 anyday

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Check out my rendering of an R8. Kinda crappy, it's my first one...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #26
bluestang50
Account Suspended

Drives: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Check out my rendering of an R8. Kinda crappy, it's my first one...

Pretty good for a first attempt. What did you use to make it?
bluestang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Nice R8, but which one is it? 4.2 or 5.2? lol

ZR1 for me!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #28
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And who can spot the difference between a regular R8 and one with a V10? The visual clues on a ZR1 (exposed carbon fibre and polycarbonate hood window) are a tad more obvious than replacing flat black accents with glossy ones or oval shaped exhaust tips instead of round. There's more differences on each car, but I'm sure you get the point. Park a ZR1 next to a base coupe and more people could tell the difference (and that its something special) than if there were a pair of R8's sitting side by side.
I would take the V8 R8 over the ZR1

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote