Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
I agree, based on Chrysler/Fiat merger, many dealers closing and down turn of the economy, the Chally prices are dropping, but alot of dealers arent budging in the SRT8 because it's the high performance model.

But same goes for the 'Vette, they're having a hard time selling those too, base vettes are going for invoice, Z06's for MSRP or a bit under too... it's a good time to be in the market for a good ole 'murican v8 sports car!
Get 'em while they're hot (and available...)

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #58
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
It seems, by rag' reviews/tests that this is a pretty accurate statement, IMO. The data is there. I'm not even trying to take anything away from the Chally' either, don't get me wrong. But, pretty much every comparison I've read has the SS out front, except in ergonomics, and I find that subjective for the most part. Chally's could be going to so much less right now too in light of all the dealers closing, no?...
You would think the R/T Challengers would be going for less now...but NO. THey dealers are telling customers they are "rare" since the Brampton plant shut down...and so R/T's that were just a few months ago going for 31K are now 36-38K....no kidding.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #59
Fatstackz

Drives: 2000 SS Camaro/ 2007 300 SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
What you're missing Fatstackz is that the 2SS comes with alot of the "amenities" you list in your 300M. Heated leather sport buckets, 20 inch wheels, bluetooth, 7 speaker BA sound system (albeit no sub), fogs and Onstar Nav. What it lacks that your 300 has is Double DIN Nav, rear entertainment, factory sub, dual zone climate controls and HID's. All for 34.3k sticker. For 35.5k sticker you get HID's via RS package. What's the sticker on your 300 SRT8?? That's what I thought.

No one here cares about 4 doors or rear entertainment. Period... you're preaching to the chior on that one. Double DIN Nav would be niice, but I happen to like how the Onstar Nav is integrated into the Camaro.

So what are we left with to compare? Performance. Within one tenth in the quarter, depending on which SRT8, and which drivers they used. Im with the above people who say, dont use magazine comparo articales, doesnt matter how fast their professional drivers can go in the quarter... can YOU drive that fast? Performance is very close between these two cars.

So what are left with? Your 300 SRT8 is a performance LUXURY car and so is appropriately appointed and is HEAVIER because of it. That's where the "pig" references come from. The Camaro SS is a "pony" car, and is appropriately appointed for it's class as well. Hence why your 4 door reference and rear seat entertainment falls on deaf ears. They're apples and oranges my friend. That's why the magazines are comparing the Challenger to the Camaro, not your 300 SRT8... Different class of cars, there's no point in beating ourselves comparing them.

That said, it'd be nice to have some Challenger SRT8 folks in here to discuss further.
This is exacly what I said! WE AGREE! They are comparable in performance and close enough in price given the mark downs of one and mark ups on another. The difference in price is for the luxury items. I hate it when some one uses my exact argument against me like I don't understand.
First of all I am basing my OPINION on MY 300SRT8. I Dont have a Challenger. I said they are not in the same class, someone got butt hurt. I said they are only comparable in performance and somewhat in price, again someone got butt hurt. What don't people understand about these statements? Let me know and I will back it up with data as best I can. HP/tourque are very close. As for the wieght, I guess the pig reference is the 150-200 pound difference between the two?Fair enough, Hope your not a slightly obese driver.
One really cool reason I am very glad I own an SRT8 product is the SRT expierience. I did mine a Laguna Seca. That was awesome. Chevy should be throwing something like that out there for thier top performers as well.

BTW: Power to Weight ratios are almost dead even. 1/100th bhp diferrence.

Last edited by Fatstackz; 06-04-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #60
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstackz View Post
I guess the pig reference is the 150-200 pound difference between the two?Fair enough, Hope your not a slightly obese driver.
250 lbs between 300 STR8 and 2SS per MSN auto. The 300 and Challenger are pigs, the SS is a smaller piglet. by 4th gen standards.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #61
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
i believe they are sticking to the price range thing, if they werent than you could compare the SS to say a GT500 or something.

True..........but I see a lot of people talking about $10-12K difference between a loaded SS and a GT500 too....and those numbers are way off. One of the local dealers here has a loaded SS (including ground effects package) stickered at $43,5xx. (and they are hiding their dealer mark-up sticker ------they have a V6 in the showroom with a $10K markup)!! You can get a 2010 GT500 stickered at $47K....

Last edited by 2sharp; 06-04-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #62
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
1SS MSRP $31,040 - 2SS MSRP $34,225 - I paid $36,030.
Just the facts ma'am!
Delivered 4/17/2009
Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #63
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Here in S. Fla I have yet to see a SS under 42k. That's before you see the fair market sticker price upper, that has put em up over 45~46k. I think it really depends on the area you are in.

As for dodge, the deadline is looming for them to sale those cars off the lot. So I have seen some fire sales here on Challengers and other SRT / RT's Great time to buy if you have the cash or are looking for a dodge.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #64
Fatstackz

Drives: 2000 SS Camaro/ 2007 300 SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Here in S. Fla I have yet to see a SS under 42k. That's before you see the fair market sticker price upper, that has put em up over 45~46k. I think it really depends on the area you are in.

As for dodge, the deadline is looming for them to sale those cars off the lot. So I have seen some fire sales here on Challengers and other SRT / RT's Great time to buy if you have the cash or are looking for a dodge.
Thats what the dealer at Fremont Chevorlet told me as well. He said "This one is loaded, it would go for about 42K, plus our lovely dealer mark-up."
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #65
Montrose
USN CPO

Drives: 08 Titan,2103 Challenger 392 SRT-8
well as some of you know i was going to get a 2ss/rs camaro but once i was able to sit in one, it didn't fit me right still love the car and think it is a great proformer and is good looking, but i ended up getting a 09 SRT8 Challenger because it felt better to me and i have had it a few months now and love it, i am even helping my room mate pick out a
2ss/rs stick and it's going to be parked right beside my Challenger why is he getting a Camaro well it fits him better, bottom line buy what you like and like what you buy i just don't under stand all that hate in a few years these cars may no longer be made.

Montrose
Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #66
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
well as some of you know i was going to get a 2ss/rs camaro but once i was able to sit in one, it didn't fit me right still love the car and think it is a great proformer and is good looking, but i ended up getting a 09 SRT8 Challenger because it felt better to me and i have had it a few months now and love it, i am even helping my room mate pick out a
2ss/rs stick and it's going to be parked right beside my Challenger why is he getting a Camaro well it fits him better, bottom line buy what you like and like what you buy i just don't under stand all that hate in a few years these cars may no longer be made.

Montrose
Good post, the SRT8 is definitely a comfortable cruising choice, and performance specs are nothing to sneeze at. Enjoy the torque!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #67
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Good post, the SRT8 is definitely a comfortable cruising choice, and performance specs are nothing to sneeze at. Enjoy the torque!
+1 to the last two posts. Hey - it's your money and if you're happier in something else, good for you

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #68
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Well when you are a large guy, you need to buy what you are comfortable in. The SRT8 Challenger is very very comfortable for us big guys. I know that interior felt like butter when I sat in one.

The Camaro was a bit cramp for me...I was surprised to find it smaller than my Mustang inside.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #69
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrose View Post

Montrose

the government may halt all our fun we had better stick together as as muscle car owners ,think i'm wrong see jimmy carter the 1979 gas lines and the 1982 ford Granada i think.my old man a had poor piece of crap couldn't even break 60 mph

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #70
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleybacker View Post
Buddy of mine asked this the other day. So far haven't they only compared it to the R/T models?

No offense----especially to you that care about this topic but, Who cares???

I really don't care what they compare the Camaro to. Must admit I like looking at comparo articles and vids but those opinoins have not swayed my intent on buying a Camaro.

I'd be happy to read about future comparisions but it won't change what it is that i want, a new SS.

Closed Thread