Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #29
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moloko View Post
I called my mechanic and he told me that the HP TUNERS in New York told them (supposedly) that my Camaro has software problems, that it is broken or corrupted and that I have to take the dealer to install new software.

The concessionaires (dealers) do not attend Camaro in my country since they are imported cars.

The mechanic offered me to use an interface that would mark the computer more hottest 50ºF to trick the computer into turning on the fan earlier, its possible that?
If the car is turning the fans on and off at the factory programmed points you should not have an overheating problem. If you do, you need to fix the problem, not adjust the fan set points.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #30
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
To be fair, if they're turning on at 227 and off at 219, that honestly isn't correct (should be more like 212 and 184-190), but I do agree, it sounds like there is an issue further up the line than the fans themselves.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #31
moloko

Drives: Camaro V6 2011 and 2014 V6
Since I have the Camaro more than a year and a half ago, it always turned on the fans at 227Fº at slow speed, and cut off fan when cool to 219Fº, but lately the car is wanting to overheat, the temperature reaches 242Fº and that's when the fan on the passenger side starts to run at 100% and then starts to lower the temperature to 233 Fº and then fan starts to work slow again....

Since I can not access the HP Tuners I would like to modify the temperature sensor, tricking the PCM to mark that it is hotter, so the fans will turn on at 208 F º instead of 227F º, and 224F º at 100% speed (instead of 242 F º).

I read that you can do that by putting some resistors on the temperature sensor.

I dont have coolant or oil leak
moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #32
moloko

Quote:
Since I have the Camaro more than a year and a half ago, it always turned on the fans at 227Fº at slow speed, and cut off fan when cool to 219Fº, but lately the car is wanting to overheat, the temperature reaches 242Fº and that's when the fan on the passenger side starts to run at 100% and then starts to lower the temperature to 233 Fº and then fan starts to work slow again....

Since I can not access the HP Tuners I would like to modify the temperature sensor, tricking the PCM to mark that it is hotter, so the fans will turn on at 208 F º instead of 227F º, and 224F º at 100% speed (instead of 242 F º).

I read that you can do that by putting some resistors on the temperature sensor.

I dont have coolant or oil leak

Old 12-25-2018, 01:47 AM   #33
moloko

I tested yesterday and today.. My Fan wont starter more.

The car turned on the two fans at 227º F always (in low speed, 25 or 30 % speed), but since a few days ago no longer turns on..

It only turns on the fan on the passenger side when I turn on the air conditioner (60% speed), nothing more...

The coolant starts to raise temperature when stopped in traffic, but when the vehicle is in constant moving the temperature starts to drop slowly.

It is obvious that my fans are not working, where should I start to check? In the fuses? Do I have to disconnect the battery to check the fuses?

I appreciate any help.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #34
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
When I had my last tune done, I've had many, I had the fans table changed to the absolute minimum temps. In Texas in the summer sitting at a red light for several minutes, my water temp never gets above 200° F. It can be done.

And if you want to try HP Tuners yourself, you will need the OBDII cable and 2 credits at the bare minimum. I haven't checked into it yet, but I hear it is $500-700 just for the basic tuner set up.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #35
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
I tested yesterday and today.. My Fan wont starter more.

The car turned on the two fans at 227º F always (in low speed, 25 or 30 % speed), but since a few days ago no longer turns on..

It only turns on the fan on the passenger side when I turn on the air conditioner (60% speed), nothing more...

The coolant starts to raise temperature when stopped in traffic, but when the vehicle is in constant moving the temperature starts to drop slowly.

It is obvious that my fans are not working, where should I start to check? In the fuses? Do I have to disconnect the battery to check the fuses?

I appreciate any help.
You're on the right track now - get those fans working correctly and you won't need a custom tune or manual fan switch.

I think you have a bad relay or fan motor. Let me explain.

Attached is a diagram of the fan electric system for a 2010 Camaro. It's a little complicated when you first look at it, but I think I can make it clear. When the low speed control (in the computer) switches on it grounds Cooling Fan Relay 1. This sends power to both the fans, which are wired in series at this point, so they run at essentially half speed.

When the computer switches on high speed control Cooling Fan Relay 3 switches the path of the left fan directly to ground. Cooling Fan Relay 2 simultaneously switches on power to the right fan directly. In this configuration each fan is running independently and will run at full speed.

Based on what you described, only your right fan runs, at high speed. This indicates a problem in the left fan circuit - mostly likely Cooling Fan Relay 1 has failed. It's also possible that the fan its self has failed. In either case, you will have no low speed fans (including the right fan) and only 1 high speed fan.

A quick test you can do to determine if the problem is in fact the relay would be to swap Cooing Fan Relay 2 with Cooling Fan Relay 1. If after this swap both fans run at low speed, and then the left fan only runs at high speed, you've proved the problem is the relay. If so, I would run in this configuration until you can replay that relay. It's my guess this will prove to be the case.

If you still have no low speed fans and now still only the right fan at high speed, the problem is the fan itself.

You do not need to disconnect the battery to check fuses or relays. The fuses are ok, the fact that the one fan runs is proof that both the 10A fuse for the relays and the 40A fuse for the fan motors themselves are intact.

I hope that helps - let us know what you find.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote