Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #43
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamouSS View Post
Alright guys I will give you the same exact response i got-

"Hello Rob,

That is the normal operation of the tail lights.

Thank you,
Phastek Performance Customer Support"
For those who already purchased the Hero lights, have you known about the delay beforehand, would you still have bought it?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #44
huggett

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
For those who already purchased the Hero lights, have you known about the delay beforehand, would you still have bought it?
I love the look, but no, I most likely would not have bought them if I knew about the brake light delay
huggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #45
3rdGenAg2010

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Heres the response i got from them "There is a half second delay in the lights from the resistor kicking in to regulate the voltage to the lights, I am so sorry for that! It is only half a second and it is normal"
3rdGenAg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #46
3rdGenAg2010

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
This might be a bad idea, and in my opinion a bandaid to a problem that shouldn't exist. I could install a resistor on the third brake light to try and sync up the lights.... otherwise swapping out the resistor on the tailights would require opening them up and would probably void the warranty....
3rdGenAg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #47
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
If you were successful in delaying the third light I would think that would be even worse than having the delay just on the mains. At least the way it works "normally" there is at least 1 instantaneous brake light and with the slight delay on the mains it might actually bring more attention to the lights. Kinda like those lights that flash on the back of F1 cars when they are harvesting energy or when they're running in rain or other poor visibility conditions.

Like a couple have said already, I think I can live with it. Might be time to modify that no debt rule for mods. Perhaps a payoff in 6 months or less might work. Stupid mod bug anyway. Phastek has my CAI back in stock too. RAWR!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #48
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Has not really bothered me yet..but ..now I'm thinking just to disconnect the 3rd break light .
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #49
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Here is my honest opinion. If you drop $400 on new tail lights, they should work properly without some Macgyver Jimmy rig stuff. I wouldn't take the answer of that's just how they are. They are sub par and a possible safety hazard and should be fixed by the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #50
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Well the manufacturers make them work ok, something has obviously been missed here and could be a safety issue.
They need to look at getting this problem fixed.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #51
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
This is outright DANGEROUS! Normally you are never at fault when you get rear-ended but if the other driver can prove you have after market lights that did not illuminate in time to stop you may not have a leg to stand on in court.

I have led tail lights and there's NO DELAY. This is NOT normal, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #52
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Without a doubt! There are zero other options out there for us 14-15 RS guys, so yea I have absolutely no problem with a whopping half second delay. Sure I would prefer no delay, but I really don’t see this as that big of a deal. I guess I could understand it being an issue for racing, but for semi-daily driving…. nah. If the person behind me isn’t paying enough attention to notice the 3rd brake light, then an extra half second for the tails isn’t going to matter much.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #53
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Without a doubt! There are zero other options out there for us 14-15 RS guys, so yea I have absolutely no problem with a whopping half second delay. Sure I would prefer no delay, but I really don’t see this as that big of a deal. I guess I could understand it being an issue for racing, but for semi-daily driving…. nah. If the person behind me isn’t paying enough attention to notice the 3rd brake light, then an extra half second for the tails isn’t going to matter much.
At freeway speeds with decent traffic like we have here in NW Washington that one second could make the difference between someone hitting you or not...

To add some perspective..At 60 mph you are traveling 88 feet per second.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #54
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
At freeway speeds with decent traffic like we have here in NW Washington that one second could make the difference between someone hitting you or not...

To add some perspective..At 60 mph you are traveling 88 feet per second.
Well it's a half second, not a second. And it's not like I'm going to stop on a dime as soon as I hit the brakes so let's not try to make it sound like they're going to fly a full 44 feet past me. Assuming I get a half second head start on braking, what are we really talking about here.... maybe a difference of 10 feet? That's assuming the driver behind me is in full defensive driving mode with perfect reaction time and their foot hovering over the brake. I think I read somewhere that the average reaction time is a second or more, so it's probably not even going to matter anyway. Sorry, but IMO this is getting blown way out of proportion.

Edit: I was wrong, according to this study from U of Iowa the average braking reaction time is 2.3 seconds. https://copradar.com/redlight/factors/IEA2000_ABS51.pdf

Last edited by J Rod; 10-24-2018 at 10:42 AM.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #55
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenAg2010 View Post
Heres the response i got from them "There is a half second delay in the lights from the resistor kicking in to regulate the voltage to the lights, I am so sorry for that! It is only half a second and it is normal"
Resistor kicking in. ???? Smh. More like the driver circuit for the sequencer. Watching videos, seems like .1 to .25 seconds. If it was .5 seconds, I'd remove them.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #56
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Well it's a half second, not a second. And it's not like I'm going to stop on a dime as soon as I hit the brakes so let's not try to make it sound like they're going to fly a full 44 feet past me. Assuming I get a half second head start on braking, what are we really talking about here.... maybe a difference of 10 feet? That's assuming the driver behind me is in full defensive driving mode with perfect reaction time and their foot hovering over the brake. I think I read somewhere that the average reaction time is a second or more, so it's probably not even going to matter anyway. Sorry, but IMO this is getting blown way out of proportion.

Edit: I was wrong, according to this study from U of Iowa the average braking reaction time is 2.3 seconds. https://copradar.com/redlight/factors/IEA2000_ABS51.pdf
Either way..logically speaking.. every second counts.