Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Are Spring Spacers Absolutely Necessary?

To all who trailer their Z28 to the track...

Are the spring spacers absolutely a necessity or a suggestion? I've read the GM sheet where they say the spacers are needed for trailering, but wonder what you all do in the real world? I've trailered car to and from for 20 years and would love to know why it's suggested with the Z28.

I will be picking up my Z28 this week and trailering it back to my home. I've searched the board, but didn't find a thread onto its own about the spacers.
If they are really required - how hard are they to install and are there any tips on getting them in?

Any and all info appreciated.

- BierGut
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
I trailerd home my z, used race ramps. Still needed wood. At the time I had no idea about the spring spacers. Getting it off in my driveway was even worse. The splitter extends so far. Total pia. Would have used them had I knew.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
The spacers are used to give you more front splitter clearance for ramping up into a trailer. Ramp extenders or such work just fine as well. Even a ditch to put the trailer wheels into make loading easier without ramp extensions.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If you set up your trailer right, with the right angle so you clear, from the race ramps in to the trailer you do not need the Spring Spacers, take the time to figure out your ramp angle.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Biergut

Thanks, guys. I have some long race ramps and I'll have some additional wood in the trailer box to add if needed. I also have used the trailer jack in the past to raise the trailer while connected to the truck to create a very slight angle... I'll be fine.

How easy, not easy is it to install the spacers?
Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #6
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
Thanks, guys. I have some long race ramps and I'll have some additional wood in the trailer box to add if needed. I also have used the trailer jack in the past to raise the trailer while connected to the truck to create a very slight angle... I'll be fine.

How easy, not easy is it to install the spacers?
The factory spring spacers are super easy to install. Jack up a front wheel and then slide the spring block into the coils, lower car back down. All in all it takes me like 2-3min a side to install them.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
The factory spring spacers are super easy to install. Jack up a front wheel and then slide the spring block into the coils, lower car back down. All in all it takes me like 2-3min a side to install them.
Thanks, Og!

Picked up the Z28 Tuesday night in light snow about 50 miles west of Chicago. (to those who live out there -- how do you do it?)

We were careful regarding the ramp angle and it just got on without the spring blocks. 12 hours back through lake effect snow and salt/brine covered roads and we are safe in NJ, it's new home.

I have some CLEANING to do.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Congrats and when your done CLEANING post some picks of the new ride.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
(to those who live out there -- how do you do it?)
I live in MN...we just say "Hold my Beer and watch this."

Quote:
12 hours back through lake effect snow and salt/brine covered roads and we are safe in NJ, it's new home.

I have some CLEANING to do.
Glad you made it home safely.

I cannot fathom driving my Z in any kind of salt. I have lived in MN all my life and watched what Salt does to a vehicle. They use so much salt here on a dry day you can taste the salt dust in the air. 2 years ago while washing my 2003 Duramax one of the Rocker Panels fell off and hit the ground because of MN Salt.

Last week our Company Pick-up Truck, a 2005 Chev had to have 2 Brake Lines replaced. They rusted right through. I HATE SALT!!!

It permeates every nook and cranny in a vehicle to reside there for life eating away at metal to metal surfaces...drive that thing for a 100 miles in a 100 year rain storm to rinse as much of it off as you can...

I said it...now I feel better...Enjoy the Z. They are a blast to drive...and take what I typed with a Grain of Salt...LOL...
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
I live in MN...we just say "Hold my Beer and watch this."

Glad you made it home safely.

I cannot fathom driving my Z in any kind of salt. I have lived in MN all my life and watched what Salt does to a vehicle. They use so much salt here on a dry day you can taste the salt dust in the air. 2 years ago while washing my 2003 Duramax one of the Rocker Panels fell off and hit the ground because of MN Salt.

Last week our Company Pick-up Truck, a 2005 Chev had to have 2 Brake Lines replaced. They rusted right through. I HATE SALT!!!

It permeates every nook and cranny in a vehicle to reside there for life eating away at metal to metal surfaces...drive that thing for a 100 miles in a 100 year rain storm to rinse as much of it off as you can...

I said it...now I feel better...Enjoy the Z. They are a blast to drive...and take what I typed with a Grain of Salt...LOL...

I will never complain about the New Jersey weather again! (well, that's a lie, but I won't complain as much.)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Congrats. Enjoy the new car.

As others have stated. Rinse/wash/repeat to get all the salt and deicing chemicals off from any/all areas of the car.

My OCD would have me taking days off from work cleaning it inside/out. lol
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I use the spacers when I put it in my trailer but still struggle with the front straps because of how low it set and reaching under the front to hook them. For this reason I am thinking about ramp overs in the trailer just to get more clearance to hook up the straps easier....I have used wood blocks under front tires to help with this.

I don't see a reason to use the spacers if you can load without splitter hitting or strapping it, those just raise the front a bit for more clearance when loading.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
I use the spacers when I put it in my trailer but still struggle with the front straps because of how low it set and reaching under the front to hook them. For this reason I am thinking about ramp overs in the trailer just to get more clearance to hook up the straps easier....I have used wood blocks under front tires to help with this.

I don't see a reason to use the spacers if you can load without splitter hitting or strapping it, those just raise the front a bit for more clearance when loading.
You look into e track tire strap systems? No load on the suspension/tie rods/joints/alignment/etc
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
My OCD would have me taking days off from work cleaning it inside/out. lol
You read my mind... doing exactly that today... I work from home and will cheat once the temps come up.