Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #71
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
If your going to be 16, you might want to think about getting a V6. Nothing against you, but if I'd had a car as fast as a SS Camaro, when I was 16, I wouldn't be alive now. I had a 69 COPO 427 Camaro when I was 19. It was really no faster than than a new SS, and I damn near killed myself in it. The V6's are plenty fast. You'll still be able to kill yourself. It'll just take longer. The insurance will be more reasonable also.
I'd hate to think what payments and insurance would add up to, on a new SS, with your parents having bad credit and you being 16. You can still get those halo lights you like, on a V6, as long as you get a RS.
I disagree with you on that. ANY vehicle in my opinion should be treated as carefully as a loaded gun. You can kill yourself OR others if mistreated. Respect for any piece of equipment in life will save you life and others.

Everyone will at some point forget that truth in life and it WILL come back to bite you. It just depends on the severity of what happens and how well you can recover from the mistake. It may cost you a lot or it may cost you a little....not just monitarily speaking. The point is you can be any age and get yourself in a situation.

This young man wants a Camaro with halos. If he doesn't care about anything other than that and everyone is concerned about him with a V-8 2SS/RS, point him in the direction of the 2LT/RS. Let's just point out that the V-6 is no slouch by any means and is also governed stock just like the V-8 to 155 MPH. Both weapons in the wrong hands.

Kid/ OP To save some money. Buy a used 2LT/RS, it will have all the bells and whistles you want on it and still be as fast as your foot will push it and how deep your pockets can run. Tickets can and will stack up if you misbehave and trust me it doesn't take much to get 2 tickets in one week. Been there done that....recently. Both were 15 mph over posted speed...The problem is the total cost of both tickets sets me back one rear tire for my car.

You need to figure out what you want. As of right now you know you want a RS variant of the Camaro. You will be buying more expensive tires. I am at 10,000 miles and my back tires are pretty toasted and I don't do burnouts. Your insurance will most likely be as much as or close to OR maybe even more than your car note for full coverage if paid monthly at your age unless you are a secondary driver under your parents insurance. This stuff adds up quickly each month. You are young, you will drive the piss out of the car to be 'the cool kid with a badass Camaro'.

You have Car note, insurance, gas, oil, tires, XM radio, Onstar, Maintainence. OK maybe not XM and Onstar, but you get the idea. Figure $55 per fill. Close to $100 for an oil change if you use good quality motor oil.

Bottom line is there are people here that will harp on you being young and owning a powerful car. If you do end up buying a camaro. Be responsible and prove them wrong. Responsible in every way.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #72
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Very well said Madness.

My first car was a 130,000 mile truck my dad owned before me. It was a 2005 Chevy Avalanche z71. He almost bought a 2005 SSR and I would have gotten that truck if he had bought it instead of the avalanche. Years after he bought it I found out I could have gotten an SSR but my mother told my dad "The SSR is too fast for him(me)". While I will respect the SSR being a faster truck, they're both dangerous none the less.

Looking back it would have been cool to have an SSR, but I probably wouldn't own a camaro now if I had owned that SSR, so I guess I'm happy things played out this way.

Regardless, any car is dangerous in the wrong hands.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #73
MoeIv

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Sorry to be outta the subject but you guys pay too much for gas! where I come from maximum price you can ay for gas is 80QR which is like 21$
MoeIv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #74
TiE2000

Drives: Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIv View Post
Sorry to be outta the subject but you guys pay too much for gas! where I come from maximum price you can ay for gas is 80QR which is like 21$
A gallon?!

Or a tank?
TiE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #75
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE2000 View Post
A gallon?!

Or a tank?
To fill the tank
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #76
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIv View Post
To fill the tank
Looks like you are closer to the oil supply than the rest of us.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #77
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
Looks like you are closer to the oil supply than the rest of us.
Yeah :P
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #78
JaxJags

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z28
You can get a nice low mileage 4th gen for around 13k. You'd have a nice Camaro, and no car payments. Win win?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #79
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
I got my 2011 2SS/RS with 3400 miles on it for 32,145. In my honest opinion you should not put your parents under that kind of financial stress, you should get a 2002 Camaro SS with a six speed, i had one and pulled a 13.1 at 106 in one at the track bonestock that was my first car i got it when i was 16, they are fast as hell and have potential i know how it is being 16 It's V8 or absolutely nothing and i am still that way, i still have that car, i still love it! You will love the fact that your parents are happy not in debt, you will be happy with an older camaro and i guarantee after some seat time you will smoke the punks with the 370s, you cant beat the fact that girls adore the 98-02 camaros either. Furthermore and i will probably get flamed for this but get what you are happy with, at the end of the day were just some mindless forum jockeys anyway to you, you will be happy with a gen4 camaro but again get what YOU want dont let any of us get in the way of that.
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote