Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
Worse audio with an after market head unit

So I installed a song xav100 double din head unit with the PAC kit. I have the Boston acoustic system and after the install it seems like the bass is gone and the audio quality has gone a little down hill. I used butt connectors to make the connections and I'm thinking about reading it. And ideas on where to start? It sounds more gritty and kinda lack luster compared to when I had the stock radio installed.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I've not used any of the aftermarket kits, but wanted to point out that the Camaro speaker system isn't a traditional 4 speaker system. I would assume there is some sort of adapter required to connect a traditional aftermarket HU to the stock amp/speakers.

Sounds like you simply spliced some wires and are missing some of the channels.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
What JimE stated.

You cannot swap a HU in without replacing the amp and speakers, though primarily due to the OEM "dsp". If you attempted to power the OEM speakers from your new HU, we get into connection issues (rears are bi-amped).
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTLOL View Post
So I installed a song xav100 double din head unit with the PAC kit. I have the Boston acoustic system and after the install it seems like the bass is gone and the audio quality has gone a little down hill. I used butt connectors to make the connections and I'm thinking about reading it. And ideas on where to start? It sounds more gritty and kinda lack luster compared to when I had the stock radio installed.
MAke sure you have the plug set to AMPLIFIED system not non amplified. IT will plug into either one. otherwise. replacement time
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
What JimE stated.

You cannot swap a HU in without replacing the amp and speakers, though primarily due to the OEM "dsp". If you attempted to power the OEM speakers from your new HU, we get into connection issues (rears are bi-amped).
I’m not sure if this is accurate. The PAC kit was pretty much plug and play with the stock amp and speakers. The only issue I had as far as sound quality was to make sure you have it plugged into the PAC module correctly. I actually plugged mine into the NON amplified slot and all is well.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
This issue has been covered. You need to plug a connector into the correct location.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I’m not sure if this is accurate. The PAC kit was pretty much plug and play with the stock amp and speakers. The only issue I had as far as sound quality was to make sure you have it plugged into the PAC module correctly. I actually plugged mine into the NON amplified slot and all is well.

for some reason I was thinking non-BA set up
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Angie11

Drives: 2011 ss rs convertable
to the OP. I agree. I did the aftermarket HU with PAC and sound quality and volume were shit...all was installed correctly. I replaced the stock amp with an aftermarket amp and it sounded good again
Angie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie11 View Post
to the OP. I agree. I did the aftermarket HU with PAC and sound quality and volume were shit...all was installed correctly. I replaced the stock amp with an aftermarket amp and it sounded good again
Where did you have the connector plugged into the PAC module? A lot of people think they have it installed correctly, but don't.

I have the Scosche 2.0 kit, Pioneer head unit, BA system and stock amp. Sounds great.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie11 View Post

Hey sorry to bother but what kind of amp did you replace with? I had the idea to do this years ago but never got around to it. I remember there was a small amp that a lot of people used to replace the stock amp due to its size. But damn if I remember what it was.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Hey sorry to bother but what kind of amp did you replace with? I had the idea to do this years ago but never got around to it. I remember there was a small amp that a lot of people used to replace the stock amp due to its size. But damn if I remember what it was.
A popular amp replacment is the JL audio xd400/4v2. Its small and packs a punch. Fits in the stock amp location with the amp board from sub thump(er).
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote