Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #29
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Well it looks like I’ll have a threaded crash bumper for sale ��
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
VOIT

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerZ28 View Post
Hi,

i am looking for the REAL Tow Hook for recovery my Z28 when there will be a
Problem on the Highway.

Can anyone tell me,where i can order the REAL one not this for the show ?

Thanks

Roger
The tow hook from ZL1 addons IS a real tow hook for recovery. Unfortunately I had to use it this past summer when my OE battery left me stranded about 40 miles away from home, on the hottest day in Wisconsin LOL! Flatbed bed pulled it up with no problem. It does baffle me how they overlooked placing a receiver on the front crash bar, but yet placing a provision on the front fascia.
VOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #31
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
What does the rope tie for when Camaro don't have a towing eye/hook?
Is there an emergency alternative on stock Camaro?

My 78 I pulling over the front stabilizer.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #32
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
What does the rope tie for when Camaro don't have a towing eye/hook?
Is there an emergency alternative on stock Camaro?

My 78 I pulling over the front stabilizer.
I would say not much to hook onto if you don't have a tow hook on these's cars in the front because they sit low just stock. Pulling it from the front, your sure to break some plastics etc. with no tow hook.

When I had mine put to the tow test my car was lowered 1" on all 4 corners with full coilovers. My front splitter was just slightly rubbing the flat bed of the tow truck. It did not do any damage luckily but i think it is because my front bumper and splitter has some extra forgiveness due to the aftermarket lightweight crash bar. If it was stock crash bar set up, I believe it may have put enough pressure on the underside of the splitter possibly causing plastics to crack.

My car is the 2014 1LE. I would only guess that the front of a 14-15 Z28 with its longer splitter; one would have some big issues without a tow hook installed. I am really happy I did put a tow hook on my 1LE. My wife has a 14 Camaro v6 convertible and there is nothing to put a tow hook on the front without cutting a hole in the bumper or through a front lower vent section to install a tow hook. We plan to fab something up because even on her car I could see an issue arise should we ever needed to have it towed. Cheap mod and cheap insurance to add a tow hook honestly. Well worth it on these cars.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #33
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
I would say not much to hook onto if you don't have a tow hook on these's cars in the front because they sit low just stock. Pulling it from the front, your sure to break some plastics etc. with no tow hook.

When I had mine put to the tow test my car was lowered 1" on all 4 corners with full coilovers. My front splitter was just slightly rubbing the flat bed of the tow truck. It did not do any damage luckily but i think it is because my front bumper and splitter has some extra forgiveness due to the aftermarket lightweight crash bar. If it was stock crash bar set up, I believe it may have put enough pressure on the underside of the splitter possibly causing plastics to crack.

My car is the 2014 1LE. I would only guess that the front of a 14-15 Z28 with its longer splitter; one would have some big issues without a tow hook installed. I am really happy I did put a tow hook on my 1LE. My wife has a 14 Camaro v6 convertible and there is nothing to put a tow hook on the front without cutting a hole in the bumper or through a front lower vent section to install a tow hook. We plan to fab something up because even on her car I could see an issue arise should we ever needed to have it towed. Cheap mod and cheap insurance to add a tow hook honestly. Well worth it on these cars.

I understand.
I have to put the towing hook into my car's upgrade list.
The bad thing is that at the moment there is no emergency solution if something happens.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #34
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Any thoughts on how to attractively plug a hole in the bumper on a black 2010 SS if I replaced the front crash bar with one that has the stock mounting point for the tow hook?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #35
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
Question about ZL1Addon front tow hook install.

After cutting the holes in the sub-bumper, I stuck the front receiver into channel on the backside of the sub-bumper. The holes lined up but the face of the receiver was still about 3/4" short of the hole. The receiver is too tall to slide flush up against the rear face of the sub-bumper. I talked to ZL1Addon and they said to thread a bolt into the receiver through the tow hook hole in the sub-bumper and draw the receiver flush up against the sub-bumper. They said it will guarantee a tight fit. Well, yes it will because you deform the sub-bumper along the length of the receiver. But you're only drawing up one-side of the receiver, leading to the receiver flush on one side but still some distance off-flush on the other end.

Has anybody that mounted the front tow hook run into the situation where the receiver is too tall for the rear channel in the sub-bumper? Did you use this or a different method of snugging the receiver up to the back of the sub-bumper?

Last edited by craZed; 03-09-2020 at 03:03 PM.
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #36
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Mine wasn't as tight as yours appears to be but it was VERY snug. To get it flush I installed the receiver/ hook assy and gave it a good pull AND took my extra long 3/8" extension with large hammer and "motivated" the portion accessible from the wheel well into position. Once in place (no turning back now) it appears to be fully functional. To be honest I didn't take into consideration deforming the crash bar. I guess you could grind down the "block" to get it to fit in the crash bar more to your liking.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #37
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
BLU DUCE AKA=Spike III Build

My tow hook
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #38
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
So the ZL1 Addon trick to draw up the front receiver to the sub-bumper with a 5/8-11 bolt and flat washer worked like a charm. No apparent metal creases and the receiver looks flush to the sub-bumper along the length of it. I inserted the receiver into the channel on the back of the sub-bumper and got the holes lined up. Then I threaded the 2" 5/8-11 bolt and flat washer from the front into receiver. Gave the ratchet driver a few turns and looked to make certain things looked straight, and then continued ratcheting until it felt well seated. Put in the locator screw and mounted the tow hook. Hook will only be mounted for towing, so I left the bumper cover attached.

craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:56 AM   #39
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
BLU DUCE AKA=Spike III Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by craZed View Post
So the ZL1 Addon trick to draw up the front receiver to the sub-bumper with a 5/8-11 bolt and flat washer worked like a charm. No apparent metal creases and the receiver looks flush to the sub-bumper along the length of it. I inserted the receiver into the channel on the back of the sub-bumper and got the holes lined up. Then I threaded the 2" 5/8-11 bolt and flat washer from the front into receiver. Gave the ratchet driver a few turns and looked to make certain things looked straight, and then continued ratcheting until it felt well seated. Put in the locator screw and mounted the tow hook. Hook will only be mounted for towing, so I left the bumper cover attached.

That Is one heck of a great job. That will help a lot of people. Post this on the DIY thread for others to see. Thxs
Old 03-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #40
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Thanks for the post. I have not installed my hook, but I'm sure I'll run into this issue.
It still baffles me how this little thing on one side will hold up 3800 lb. without deforming the other side of the crash frame when pulled...I'm just thinking about physics too much I guess. It's been proven it works.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #41
C-redfly

Drives: 2013 VR vert ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzero View Post
Thanks for the post. I have not installed my hook, but I'm sure I'll run into this issue.
It still baffles me how this little thing on one side will hold up 3800 lb. without deforming the other side of the crash frame when pulled...I'm just thinking about physics too much I guess. It's been proven it works.
Definitely thinking about it too much, your not hanging the car in the sky or doing a tug a war with it. Your just putting the car in neutral and towing it a few yards.
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote