Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
Z/oro

Drives: Camaro z/28
Oil pan removal help

Hi guys I've run into a bit of a problem. When I began my modifications a few weeks back swapping out the oil pump for a higher output pump I did the mistake of not dropping the oil pan enough and accidentally bent the oil pan gasket. I've been trying to figure out a way to remove the oil pan and change out the gasket but I can't figure out a way without having a full engine out procedure which I don't have the tools for it as I am working on it at home with no lift. I've considered taking it to a dealer and having them do it but after reading in z06 forums this seems to be a $1200 repair. As my last resort does anyone have any experience with this issue. I currently have the oil pan hung up on the ac line running under it near the front of the block and can't get beyond that. Any help or pointing in the best direction would be incredibly appreciated.
Z/oro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
pat_t

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #238
Have you tried undoing the two main lower engine mount nuts (from underneath the car). You can then jack the engine up approx. another two inches before anything touches (above the gearbox in the tunnel from memory). Just keep an eye you aren't stretching/pulling any wires or hoses - best to have a spotter.

this might give you the clearance you need to get the oil pan off?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
You can support the engine with a hoist, then lower the front frame about 1 1/2 to 2 ". Rest the frame on stands while keeping all 6 bolts in a few threads. You can then raise the engine with the hoist. If you take the intake manifold off, you can use the ‘happy hooker’ LS support tool to help lift the engine.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
Z/oro

I've thought of those solutions but I don't think they would actually work. The AC lines are bolted to the block and have very little to no play. The lines run from the subframe to the compressor so that also restricts how much I can seperate the two. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/HLY5wzg
Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Z/oro

Old 02-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Z/oro

I'm trying to post a picture but can't seem to get it to work.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
MaverickLS7

Drives: 2015 1LE
Plenty of flex in the ac lines, all you have to do is unbolt the bracket driver side front of engine. Raise the engine or support it to lower the cradle.
MaverickLS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:28 AM   #8
pat_t

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/oro View Post
I've thought of those solutions but I don't think they would actually work. The AC lines are bolted to the block and have very little to no play. The lines run from the subframe to the compressor so that also restricts how much I can seperate the two. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/HLY5wzg
My car doesn't have AC so didn't consider that, sorry.

Can't you just disconnect the AC lines at each end? All that will mean is you need the system re-gassed afterwards.