Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #29
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
So I understand that the plastic sleeve can melt causing the pedal stick issues and the billet sleeve is a fix. The reservoir is still a great idea to avoid cross contamination of the brakes and clutch systems. Cheap insurance.
They say that part of the fix is swapping to the billet sleeve because the plastic one can melt etc. but when I removed mine, the plastic one didn’t seem to bad. Comparing the billet sleeve and plastic sleeve is night and day though and does make more sense to switch to. Honestly I just think that is one of the few things that definitely can help these cars. The separate reservoirs are certainly a big improvement because my brake fluid is always nice and clear since I did that mod. Been a year since I did a full brake fluid flush and it still looks nice and clean. Definitely the clutch fluid when shared with the brake fluid caused my brake fluid to get really dirty fast. I now just flush the brake fluid once a year in the brake system unless I do say autoX or road course stuff then I change it immediately. For the clutch reservoir I flush it usually every 2 weeks since it’s so small and I flush it immediately after returning home from any track event especially when I go to the drag strip. I usually go through 1-2 full bottles of rbf660 from spring to fall. After all I have upgraded I only have the clutch master cylinder left to upgrade that’s in the works now. I come to believe that the biggest problem with our clutch system is the hose at the oem GM quick connector. It tappers to a small opening about an inch deep inside there.. I believe that is the biggest contributor to these issues with the clutch pedal and system issues now.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #30
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardbrown View Post
Is there a special tool to tighten/loosen the clutch bleeder? I tried a small socket and an end wrench. It was futile! I ordered the Tic remote bleeder and the separate reservoir. How in the world do you install it? Do I have to drop the tranny?
You don’t have to drop the transmission to install the remote speed bleeder from Tick performance. They have a few videos on how to do it without dropping the trans but it takes patience to do it that way.

In your case though you should drop the transmission anyway so you can clean it all up and get that fluid clean up. Use brake cleaner and spray it all down good including flywheel and motor around flywheel. Remove the slave cylinder first once you drop the transmission before you clean it up with brake cleaner. You can easily take the slave cylinder off with 2 little bolts. Then take it apart and carefully clean it as well. You can then add your new billet sleeve(if you bought one) and reinstall the slave cylinder as you also install the remote speed bleeder. Reinstall transmission and then do a clutch bleed. It should only take a day or two to do this all in say a home garage on jack stands and that’s just taking your time. I could probably do it all now In 6 hours on jack stands since I did it already. Just take your time and try to focus on cleaning up everything in there.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #31
Jayjellyfish212

The LPE clutch pedal return spring is a really great addition to the car also. FYI
Old 02-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #32
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Throwout bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hammer View Post
Could be air in the line as mentioned above but the Z/28, I believe, has a hydraulic throw out bearing. What you are describing happened to a friend of mine last year when his throw out bearing blew. The good news, it was covered by drivetrain warranty. If that is the issue, buy the bleeder kit for it so you can bleed the clutch like you do the brakes. He also had the clutch replaced as it was hit by the leaking fluid.
I believe All the standards have a hydraulic throwout bearing.Seperate reservoir, heavy return spring and clean high performance brake fluid seems to help.

Last edited by steakmaker; 02-06-2020 at 10:36 PM.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:29 PM   #33
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Can someone please put together a list of clutch products and supplier info for the optimum clutch performance. Thanks !
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #34
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceguy View Post
Can someone please put together a list of clutch products and supplier info for the optimum clutch performance. Thanks !
It is not a one size fits all. You will need to research what is best for what you plan to do.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #35
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
same thing happened on my brand new (to me) on my 675 mile Z06...the original owner never changed the brake/clutch fluid and the master cylinder failed.

I now change both my Z06 and Z/28 clutch brake fluid every 1000 miles, by using the ranger method from CF.Simply put you use a 60 cc syringe ,and draw the dirty fluid out, replace it and pump the clutch 45 times, drawing clean fluid into the system. Then wipe out the container under dash with lint free cloths.After 2 replacements, the clutch and brake fluid is pristine. I use Motul 660 in my vete, having bled the system.

BTW it was NOT covered under the warranty..as they said its a wear item.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote