Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Help with differential clunk please!

Think I got this posted in the correct forum now.

Took my wheels off to clean and try to locate some noise today. The below video is not mine but is exactly what I found mine doing. When rotating either wheel the differential/driveshaft makes a clunking noise along with the play seen in video. 2010 Camaro with 3:91, JRE posi mod, poly bushings, BMR LCA's and adjustable toe rods.
My 2012 V6 has some play and noise but is much quieter. Also had a 3:45 diff laying in the shop and the noise and play in it falls between the 3:91 and 2:92 in the V6.

Is this normal with this setup?
Thought appreciated!

Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Is it full of oil? It does sound like there is a alot of play someplace. I'd check the oil level and condition. To check the clearances gets involved, you need to know what you are looking for. Could be too much pinion backlash or something loose in the axles. Any decent shop should be able to check it out for 50 bucks.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Tajefe Couple

Thx 152. Yes full of oil, thought about changing it. Worst fear is the pinion or gears. Have to try and find a good shop, could be 3 hours away just like a good tuner. Sometimes it really sucks to live in BFE.
Thought it odd though all 3 Differentials had about the same play, this one just has that loud clunk. Not much noise while driving, except after spirited driving when slowing or cornering. Then usually just "pops" a couple times like something is bound up.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
snags18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Tajefe Couple,

I swapped a 3.91 differential into my manual 2010 SS. A few thousand miles later I started hearing a "clunk" when driving at slow speeds. A mechanic friend heard it and suggested that it was just normal slack from the pinion in the differential. Drove me nuts. Turns out the passenger side bolt that holds the differential in place had worked itself loose. Something to check.

Good Luck,

John
snags18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Thanks for the advice John.

Will start checking torque on all suspension parts next. Bushings did all look good and nothing felt loose when moving parts by hand. Didn't notice any type of leaks anywhere either.

I don't hear much noise other than when car is slowing after suspension had been loaded with spirited driving. Even then just a few pops like something was bound up then noise is gone??? Could be I'm just not hearing it over the extremely loud exhaust though.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Try this, get ahold of the pinion input flange then try to move it gently up and down...in and out. There should be ZERO play. Then try checking how much backlash you can feel. To do this simply hold the pinion input flange and gently turn it to the left then to the right slowly until you feel it stop. Do not turn it far enough to turn the axles. You will feel a little bump as the pinion gear touches the ring gear. What you feeling for is how much space is between the gears. It shouldn't be much. To really know the best would take it to a reputable rear shop>if that possible in todays world.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Tajefe Couple

Thanks again 152!
I did try that while under it. Only movement is rotational on pinion flange no other play noticed. Would guess it's around 1/4" max, probably a little less. Wouldn't have been that concerned as much but the loud clunking is somewhat disturbing to me. Doesn't seem normal to be that loud.
Both half shafts could also be moved in and out of the differential ever so slightly as well. No noise just moved a very minimal amount, maybe 1\16" at most.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Make sure the oil is clean and full. Drive it.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Tajefe Couple

Thanks again 152. Think just going to go ahead and change the fluid.