Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
No offence just personal opinion, . . . Viper is really fugly and has huge understeer problems, I drove one and it was mildly better than driving a brick through a tight corner. Viper apears tapered on both ends, . . like a, . . well, . never mind.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
Vic'sCamaro

Drives: Viper GTS, 680hp, Mustang GT
Hi, guys. This is my first post. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I came to this site because the Z28 is looking like its gonna be a great performer, and I'd like to replace my 06 Mustang GT. So I'm a Z28 fan, and hopefully will soon be a Z28 owner.

About Vipers- I've had a GTS since 2001, have about 48,000 miles on it, about a third of that in track driving. Everybody has a story to tell, third hand, whatever, but my personal experience is that they hold up well on the track, under heavy duty usage. Of course, we end up modifying them to do better, bigger brakes, Accusumps, etc, etc. So the only expenses I've really had is only because of the desire to make it even better. Then there was the heads/cam/headers/exhaust. That really soaked up some dough. But aside from mods, as far as normal maintenance, all I have had to do is brake pads and oil changes. I did the plugs once too. So its not like they eat you out of house and home, like having the timing belts changed on your 430 Scuderia. For the most part, Vipers are durable, simple cars.

I'd drive my Viper everyday, but I work sometimes on construction sites, and sometimes work in ugly parts of Los Angeles, and its too nice to get thrashed. Right now, I'm kinda torn about even driving a Z28 to such places. My Mustang is paid off, and if the wife will let me keep it, maybe that will be the beater on days when I have to get dirty. You need different cars for different purposes, each has their place, their strong points, weak points, etc. Life is short, so have fun. Get the best you can afford, and dont regret the depreciation. Cars are a money pit anyway, a straight loss of capital.

Its a lot of fun to surprise M3s, M5s, and related smugness cars. Ok, not surprise, really, more like "utterly destroy". Feels good to drive American, and kick ass. Hey, I'm the first to say that German and Japanese cars have fantastic quality and engineering, and I really respect them. But to me, the whole world is the competition, and our job is to beat them with superior engineering and creativity. Thats partly why I want to drive a Z28. Looking forward to seeing the Ring times.
Here's the ultimate arbiter of all bench racing, Nurburgring laptimes, the Green Hell, the worlds most demanding and tricky racetrack. Opinions aside, the laptimes tell the truth-
www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html
FWIW, the GTS that you see doing a 8:10 on the Ring was a Euro spec model, with only 375 hp. The current Viper ACR is faster around the Ring than any production Ferrari, even the million dollar Enzo. The "Ring" is where we go to show the world that American cars aren't just boats that cant go around corners. We're doing a much better job of that these days. If the Z28 can post a decent Ring time, it will gain respect worldwide.

Last edited by Vic'sCamaro; 10-23-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Vic'sCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Vic'sCamaro

@ Z28 Rock Star,
Hey, looks like that one puppy between your legs has really taken a liking to you! Heh heh! Just kidding, and just soes u know, we have Shi-Tzus, very lovable friends. More than a pet, they really become a part of the family.

I play to an audience of thousands of imaginary fans in my den, me on my my Strat, doing my best Hendrix impersonation. Some of the songs I play you could actually recognize! No time for a group, rehearsals, gigs. So for me its just a hobby. You actually do gigs?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
You're driving a 1LT and debating the tenths of seconds in performance and the big dollar gap between the Viper and the Z?
oh i didn't know 1lt's had leather ...?

2lt over here
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
use the money for mods on the Z28 that you will save by buying the Z28 instead of the Viper and you will destroy that thing.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 AM   #20
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph0408 View Post
oh i didn't know 1lt's had leather ...?

2lt over here
Either way, its a V6 so your probably not to worried about performance(I know, I know, the V6 has 312hp, ect, ect...). Thats a big jump going from a V6 to a Z28 or Viper. If you can afford it, go for the Viper. They are not going to build the Viper in 2011 but it is coming back for 2012 and will be pretty bad ass and also have a bad ass price tag. Vipers are great cars can be daily drivin with no problems, but if you want something fun to drive and more affordable, go for the Z. If your really wanting something as bad as the Viper, look for a ZR1 Vette!!!
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #21
RichieFlorida

Drives: 69 SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
No offence just personal opinion, . . . Viper is really fugly and has huge understeer problems, I drove one and it was mildly better than driving a brick through a tight corner. Viper apears tapered on both ends, . . like a, . . well, . never mind.

The Viper handles better then the Camaro and there are no understeer problems. The GenIV's run low 11 second quarters with over 600 factory ponies. I own both and there is no comparison. If you were able to afford a Viper or ZR1 you would not be knocking it.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieFlorida View Post
The Viper handles better then the Camaro and there are no understeer problems. The GenIV's run low 11 second quarters with over 600 factory ponies. I own both and there is no comparison. If you were able to afford a Viper or ZR1 you would not be knocking it.
I dont think its about being able to afford one..... many of us can........ and chose to go with the Camaro as personal decisions.
Rather than a Viper I went with my 2SS and spent the rest on my other classic cars. It would appear that the ORIGINATOR of this thread CAN indeed afford one but is looking for feedback before he commits.
JMHO.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #23
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.5SS View Post
I dont think its about being able to afford one..... many of us can........ and chose to go with the Camaro as personal decisions.
Rather than a Viper I went with my 2SS and spent the rest on my other classic cars. It would appear that the ORIGINATOR of this thread CAN indeed afford one but is looking for feedback before he commits.
JMHO.

That came across as a very pompous comment.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
Either way, its a V6 so your probably not to worried about performance(I know, I know, the V6 has 312hp, ect, ect...). Thats a big jump going from a V6 to a Z28 or Viper. If you can afford it, go for the Viper. They are not going to build the Viper in 2011 but it is coming back for 2012 and will be pretty bad ass and also have a bad ass price tag. Vipers are great cars can be daily drivin with no problems, but if you want something fun to drive and more affordable, go for the Z. If your really wanting something as bad as the Viper, look for a ZR1 Vette!!!
well, basically what happened is my job situation has changed drastically (for the better) since i got my V6 (in august 09). at the time the V6 was the absolute best i could do and i am happy with it. but with the way things are going, in a year or two i'll be able to really go for something special. i mean i even considered trading in the 6'er for the SS but that's pushing it after only one year's time.

plus honestly i'm just looking to make conversation because the viper has always been my dream car but a camaro with that kind of power might take that title away haha
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #25
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph0408 View Post
well, basically what happened is my job situation has changed drastically (for the better) since i got my V6 (in august 09). at the time the V6 was the absolute best i could do and i am happy with it. but with the way things are going, in a year or two i'll be able to really go for something special. i mean i even considered trading in the 6'er for the SS but that's pushing it after only one year's time.

plus honestly i'm just looking to make conversation because the viper has always been my dream car but a camaro with that kind of power might take that title away haha
if the last few years hasn't taught you anything with the job situation. just because it's going great now doesn't mean it will be in 6 years. one big reason I haven't purchased yet, and I might not even get a z28 new. job security now a-days isn't what it use to be. that's coming from someone in the military which is a guaranteed paycheck. But with the wars "drawing down" many of us might be pushed out into the private sector increasing unemployment rates. the future is uncertain. just saying that it isn't always a good idea to base a "fun" purchase on current situations. if you can afford a $700 payment now; that doesn't mean you can in a couple years. plan for the worse, hope for the best.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #26
Z28RockStar

Talking rofl u like your status symbols, Y not buy a little self confidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieFlorida View Post
I can afford a Viper or Vette, I wouldn't drive a viper it looks like a turd, I wouldn't drive a corvette as I am not a overweight midlife crisis balding old gold chain wearing dentist/plastic surgeon or a stripper/pimp. I don't play golf either.

don't take me too seriously though =) don't want anyone getting too butt hurt over my generalizations or stereotypes.

Last edited by Z28RockStar; 10-25-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Z28RockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #27
Z28RockStar

Talking :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic'sCamaro View Post
@ Z28 Rock Star,
Hey, looks like that one puppy between your legs has really taken a liking to you! Heh heh! Just kidding, and just soes u know, we have Shi-Tzus, very lovable friends. More than a pet, they really become a part of the family.

I play to an audience of thousands of imaginary fans in my den, me on my my Strat, doing my best Hendrix impersonation. Some of the songs I play you could actually recognize! No time for a group, rehearsals, gigs. So for me its just a hobby. You actually do gigs?

This is me @@ Billy Bob's Texas in Fort Worth =)

Not in a band atm but a buddy and me are considering getting one back together. Probably more southern rock/heavy metal though. I was in a country / rock band, I sang and played bass, I'm a little more into my guitar rather than my bass lately though! Hehe YAR dogs are awesome!
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #28
Vic'sCamaro

Ah, that's the life! Follow your passion, right?