Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #15
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom0662 View Post
Well I blew it. Found an auction on ebay for a pair of used tails. Bid was at 124 with 2 hours to go. I should have put in a bid. I zonked out in my chair, lol. Auction ended at $141.19. Tails are a little hard to find. Seems most used ones have cracks etc. New ones run up around 180 - 200 per side. Does not matter much since we are nearing winter. Will keep looking.

Not sure what the guy did but I replaced the front turn lens as they were melted from the bulbs. On removing the headlight housings there were modules stuck to the bottom of them. Wires went from the module and were spliced into the turn and marker bulbs, hmmm. Car doesn't have leds so not sure what they are for. Guess I didn't look at the modules to see if they had any info on them.

Picked up a QTP (Quick Time Performance) electric cutout to replace the worn out rattling one currently on it. Man these QTP's are built like a tank.

Got rid of the radio tower antenna and put a 12" on.

Have a new oil pressure sensor to install now, anyone want to come over and fish out the old one??
I tried to reach around the back and got my hand on the old one a little bit. Will need to remove a couple things to do it or just remove intake manifold and do it that way. Haven't decided on a battle plan yet.

Removed the MAF and throttle body and cleaned both. Does not look like that is going to fix the flat spot off idle. Looks like original IAC so am going to replace that. Just acts like it isn't responding quick enough. Not saying that WILL fix it but figured I will replace it anyway.

Just wondering if there is a possible TPS issue. They had a check engine light with a TPS fault at the dealer and replaced it. I had started the car one day and let it idle without revving or anything and within 5 minutes the cel came on. Check faults and TPS fault again, so the issue may be there too. Other than that flat spot off idle the thing runs good, well short of the rich exhaust smell. I think I'm getting maybe 8 mph if I'm lucky, she is a thirsty thing. Need to get it to the tuner and have it checked.

I get 1320 feet per gallon, yeah that's it.
Keep your eyes out for tails, you'll find some. One day I'd love to get a set of export tail lights for mine!!

The bulbs melted to the turn signals because those clear lenses are garbage. The bulbs never seal correctly and let moisture in. I have clear corners that I need to get rid of also.

To remove the Oil Pressure Sending Unit you need to remove the Intake Manifold, it is directly behind the manifold between the manifold and the firewall. All the bolts on the car are Metric and don't forget to torque down the manifold in sequence or you'll get a good vacuum leak!

As far as the TPS code, the TPS is located on the driver side of the TB. Disassemble the TB and clean everything out. Chances are your TPS is gummed up with dirt. It happened to mine a few times.
A few things you can do to help it run better: check the air filter, change the fuel filter, run seafoam through the fuel system, the PCV and the oil. Only drive it off and on for a few days and at around 100 miles change the oil.
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
Tom0662

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Keep your eyes out for tails, you'll find some. One day I'd love to get a set of export tail lights for mine!!

The bulbs melted to the turn signals because those clear lenses are garbage. The bulbs never seal correctly and let moisture in. I have clear corners that I need to get rid of also.

To remove the Oil Pressure Sending Unit you need to remove the Intake Manifold, it is directly behind the manifold between the manifold and the firewall. All the bolts on the car are Metric and don't forget to torque down the manifold in sequence or you'll get a good vacuum leak!

As far as the TPS code, the TPS is located on the driver side of the TB. Disassemble the TB and clean everything out. Chances are your TPS is gummed up with dirt. It happened to mine a few times.
A few things you can do to help it run better: check the air filter, change the fuel filter, run seafoam through the fuel system, the PCV and the oil. Only drive it off and on for a few days and at around 100 miles change the oil.
The TPS was replaced at the dealer for a TPS code. I have cleaned the TB and MAF, new IAC motor.

Talked to the Snap On dealer for our shop last week about a scanner and he had a Solus Pro for $200, is a few years out of date. Hooked it up to the car to check some readings at idle. From reading various forums on what common readings are for some things, not sure if I have issues or not. First built car I have ever had so have never messed with any of the things like Fuel trims etc. I think I need to recheck some of the readings. See below on what I "wrote down" anyway, lol. It runs strong, but is a little thirstier than I think it should be. Need to check mpg on it. My guess is around 8 mpg, lol. Not that I really care about mpg anyway, car isn't a daily driver.

Readings at idle around 850-900. This has an MS3 cam with supporting mods

TPS volts .65
TPS % 0
MAF gm/sec 9.00
MAF Hz 2800
MAP volts 2.90
MAP Hg 19
Baro volts 4.63
Baro Hg 28.7
Spark advance 19-20.5
FT cell 19
ST trim-1&2 0
LT trim -1 7
LT trim-2 9

As I said I may need to reconnect to car and check those numbers again.
Car is running on I believe 1 O2 sensor, it has O2 blockers on it. 3" 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust.
Got the QTP exhaust cutout installed today, nice beefy unit. Couple new Lloyds floor mats. Cleaned it up some.
Attached Images

Tom0662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #17
Stew2000

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS,2000 Camaro SS
Nice progress. I found some stock taillights for $75 on LS1Tech so just keep checking.

2000 Arctic White SS-M6,factory Hurst with short stick,Slp Lid,Cold Air and Loudmouth,SLP Bilsteins and Eibachs,UMI LCA,PHB,SFCs.
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:20 AM   #18
Tom0662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew2000 View Post
Nice progress. I found some stock taillights for $75 on LS1Tech so just keep checking.
Thanks Stew. I wish I could take credit for most the work that has been done to
this car but cannot. All I can do is improve on what has already been done.

Found a pair of all red oem tails except for the reverse lens of course in great shape for decent price. Not sure if those are the ones I want to put on. Was looking for the yellow turn lens tails I guess.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #19
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

Found a pair of all red oem tails except for the reverse lens of course in great shape for decent price. Not sure if those are the ones I want to put on. Was looking for the yellow turn lens tails I guess.
A light coat of nightshade paint would make them look killer.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #20
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:

Sounds like LT1 tail lights I think. If so the wiring to the bulbs is different I think.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #21
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello everyone. Has been a while since I last had a Camaro. I have been holding out for a C7 Corvette on the lightly used side. Anyway I stop by the dealership to look at a 2008 Z08 and owner of dealership wants to show me a used Camaro for cheap he says. So I am thinking hmmm. Get back in shop and see it doesn't look too bad. He starts it up, sounds awesome, obvious cam has been done on it.

I was told the owner of the car and his wife bought it to mod and enjoy together. Things I know about it so far are that it does have nitrous setup on it, 9" rear, I see cast on the heads 243 so I am assuming that is what it has. Not sure yet if ported and polished. Quad outlet exhaust with cutouts. Not sure if transmission is original or not.

I am going to dealership Monday and still need to drive it, find out what they found wrong with it on inspection, talk to owner and find out what all he did to it, and if dealer will do a carfax for me. I would also like to find out if it has been raced or not. It currently has around 51,000 miles. Not sure if original paint. Did notice when I looked under it a little oil hanging off oil pan and a little on rear diff. Not sure if it is the oil pan leaking but from what I have been reading it is a 4-5 hour job to reseal? I had a 2009 Corvette that started getting oil on pan and I found the oil filter not fully tight.

I was told the owner had over $30,000 into it, at least I think they said that. I know they said he insured for 30. I guess when I seen the nitrous on it, it has me a little leary of it. I know if setup right there should be no problems. So anyway will be going to dealer Monday and if I say yes, sign papers. They want $9000 for it as is and since it is heavily modded they won't give me any kind of warranty short of tail light. I know it is not a lot to go on but what do you guys think so far? Video below. I know in person this thing sounds awesome and when cutouts open GTFO, lol.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #22
Tom0662

Found a couple really good tails on ebay friday night. Look like new. May have paid a bit more than I needed to if I would have waited and looked around longer. $79.00 ea.

There is currently a pretty nice set of oem head lights on ebay right now I may buy. Another person has a couple on there right now but for both it is $125 and $75 plus $25 each for shipping. they probably would combine shipping but these are about $50 more than the set I am currently looking at.

Bought a set of Lloyds floor mats. Got them and they are black. :/
Thought I ordered the grey, oh well, they look good and will do the job.

Got my QTP exhaust cutout installed, Works great. No more nasty rattling exhaust noise that the old one had. Now the car can be quiet, well fairly quiet if I so wish.

Last edited by Tom0662; 10-18-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #23
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Was your old cutout leaking??
Old 10-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #24
Tom0662

Quote:
Was your old cutout leaking??
Yeah, was a small motor that attached to a gear that drives another gear to open and close the plate. The motor itself was loose on the housing so when I closed it, it would partially open a little and rattle and leak exhaust, irritating.

Received the tail light housings today, very nice and they look like new.
Now the hunt for headlight housings.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #25
Stew2000

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS,2000 Camaro SS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XRQ694...I3UOYWG51MP145

If you are in need of new headlights, these or the halo headlights are very popular

2000 Arctic White SS-M6,factory Hurst with short stick,Slp Lid,Cold Air and Loudmouth,SLP Bilsteins and Eibachs,UMI LCA,PHB,SFCs.
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #26
Tom0662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew2000 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XRQ694...I3UOYWG51MP145

If you are in need of new headlights, these or the halo headlights are very popular
Cool, will have a look at them.

Couple pictures, one of the tails I just got off ebay, very clean.
And the old exhaust cutout. You can see the small motor on it, that is
what was loose on the unit and allowing the plate to rattle around and
not seal causing the exhaust leak.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 AM   #27
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Yup my cut out does the same thing :( Cunningham Motorsports wired it for power from the shift console light bulb . . . whoever splices wires there should probably learn how to do basic wiring. The motor was shorted out on the cutout. I removed the wiring and fixed so far each thing they have touched, still need to remove the cutout.

I don't suggest aftermarket headlights, there is way too much work to get them to sit flush in the bumper and for the beams to point in the correct positions compared to just bolting in OEM headlights.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #28
Tom0662

Quote:
Yup my cut out does the same thing :( Cunningham Motorsports wired it for power from the shift console light bulb . . . whoever splices wires there should probably learn how to do basic wiring. The motor was shorted out on the cutout. I removed the wiring and fixed so far each thing they have touched, still need to remove the cutout.

I don't suggest aftermarket headlights, there is way too much work to get them to sit flush in the bumper and for the beams to point in the correct positions compared to just bolting in OEM headlights.
My old cutout really is a piece of crap but I may still take it apart and see if something is loose on the inside.......and then throw it away, lol...

As far as the headlights I did read a bunch of reviews on the aftermarket ones and is seems that a bunch of the people do have to mess around to get them to fit right without gaps etc. Since it is going into winter...grrr.... I will probably just keep my eyes open for a good used oem set.