Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #43
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Squawk, relax, take a breath - count to 10.

Growing up in the era when all cars where rear wheel drive and living in damn snow belt you can bet I know how to drive with a rear end stepping out.

I simply meant that saying "if you lose control" you do not know how to drive is dumb comment. Sorry pal, it just is.
Speaking of losing control.....this vid is still the best vid on the internet.

https://youtu.be/EYX1rIe3SaQ
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #44
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Wow, that's one heck of a light show, spyderbuddy! LOL!!

I turn everything off.

My motto is don't act like it's your first time to break loose, but expect to do it again...
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #45
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
We have some amazingly skilled drivers in the forum. They are able to apply only one brake at a time, e.g. the left front or right rear brake only without stabilitrak.
Maybe just skilled enough to drive below the level where electronic intervention is needed or could provide any help at all.

If it falls under "amazingly skilled" to stay below the point where Stabilitrak's ability to brake only one wheel is what saves you, it's a really sad commentary on drivers with any less skill.

Quote:
They can drive better than with the computer assist in case some tire tread is kicked in front of you etc that requires some unexpected emergency swerving.
Swerving without losing control is good enough, and that's all you need to be able to do. And as long as you can do that, there isn't anything for Stabilitrak to improve.

I've actually been in a couple of instances of the exact situation you just described, in a car that does not have any stability control system other than the carbon-based analog thing sitting in the driver's seat. It's nothing more than an autocross slalom with pieces of tire tread instead of cones . . . . though it's probably happening at a slightly higher speed. 65 mph or so as opposed to 45-ish in a parking lot.

Something to consider here is that autocross experience can and does pay off in your street driving.

Norm
Old 07-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #46
The Wanderer

Drives: Blaze Red 2014 2SS/RS
I find this kinda funny as I am older than dirt and owned and have driven a lot of fast cars from the late 60's and early 70's. The only nannies we had back then was you drove by the seat of your pants. Having driving skills is half the fun of owning a fast car.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #47
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Just for kicks, but would not recommend it.
Remove fuse #43.
What happens if you pull all of them?
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
I find this kinda funny as I am older than dirt and owned and have driven a lot of fast cars from the late 60's and early 70's. The only nannies we had back then was you drove by the seat of your pants. Having driving skills is half the fun of owning a fast car.
This ↑↑↑

I have a sneaking suspicion that people have become too accustomed to having the risks in their lives managed by others. Too accustomed to wanting it that way, perhaps especially for those not yet AARP-eligible (age 50).

Norm
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #49
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
A nannie thread! We haven't had one of these in awhile.
Iron Lung Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #50
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
This ↑↑↑

I have a sneaking suspicion that people have become too accustomed to having the risks in their lives managed by others. Too accustomed to wanting it that way, perhaps especially for those not yet AARP-eligible (age 50).

Norm
I agree with you Norm. Seems like most of society wants to have someone else accept ALL the risk and responsibility for everything. I like making my own decisions and I have no problem owning up to being responsible for the outcome! Guess that comes as part of being from the first half of the last century.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #51
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Great conversation kids.

Keep in mind though - this wasn't a debate on "need" of using or not using nannies, who can drive and who can't, etc...

It was simply a question of do you use or not and why

All that being said, turned into a hot thread which is never bad right?
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #52
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Had my share of muscle cars from the 60's and we drove them in the winter, in the snow belt no less. You had better know how to handle big power in a rear drive car or just don't drive it.

Today's muscle cars with nannies are a needed improvement, if for no other reason than to teach people how to drive powerful cars. I drive mine in comp mode 3 all the time except if I get caught in the rain. Even with the nannies on, a car with this much power will get squirrely on dry pavement if you nail it in too low a gear.

It's all about gaining experience with the car you drive and learning what you can and can't do.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #53
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Question for the folks driving with nannies off most of the time.

What does car do better?

Do you find with nannies on it is holding you back?

Are you smoking tires alot?

...I guess I just don't know why you would take them off all the time? I get taking them off now and then for some sideways Sunday and stuff but otherwise why?

Thanks
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #54
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Even with full nanny stuff on in my 2014 2SS, I got a little adrenaline shot one morning on the way to work. I simply stepped on it and changed lanes to the right at about 35 mph. The road, Pacific Coast Hwy, is 6 lanes wide and the right lane is rolled off pretty heavy. That morning there was a wet spot just in the right lane from something, but not rain. I didn't expect it to be wet and the A6 downshifted a few gears (in D) and came up on the power band. Even with the full nanny, it hung the rear out pretty quick on the sloped wet road. Got my attention. So the nanny can be overwhelmed with enough throttle and adverse conditions.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #55
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Growing up in snowy Ohio taught me a lot about steering into a skid. And the principle applies all the way up to drifting too. I turn the nannies off to do short burnouts and the occasional donut behind the box store, other than that I think it’s pretty cool to have them as a backup to my old ass, diminishing reflexes.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #56
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Question for the folks driving with nannies off most of the time.

What does car do better?

Do you find with nannies on it is holding you back?

Are you smoking tires alot?

...I guess I just don't know why you would take them off all the time? I get taking them off now and then for some sideways Sunday and stuff but otherwise why?

Thanks
Not too much of a difference. I keep it off mainly because I hate trying to get on it and forgetting I have that crap on or someone wanting to go from a roll on the freeway etc etc. With about 520 to the wheels and still on 20"'s (stock gearing, street tires) breaking traction is really not an issue unless you dump the clutch, go from a dig or just have some really $#itty tires. Even when taking turns the car is very manageable and is super easy to control compared to other cars. I've always felt like T/C and all that other good stuff should be an option to turn on rather than turn off.
Personal opinion.

GJDM
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote