Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Why is it so hard to find better looking rims than the stock ones?

I might be alone in this thought but I have just spent an hour looking at posts here with rims. I can not find any that look better than stock RS/SS rims.

When I first saw the RS rims I was blown away. It looked like someone snatched them right off the HOTWHEELS cars that I played with in my youth.

I like the protruding mags that pop out of the stock rims. Does anyone have anything they bought/saw that look like that in an aftermarket product?

The only reason I am looking for an upgrade is my camaro rims look like everyone else. I am hoping there is something I missed that is an upgrade of the stock ones in visual flair.
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I think there are several wheels that look better than the factory wheels but that's just my opinion/ personal preference.....several styles from CCW,360 forged, D2forged.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint

Last edited by FEN; 05-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Mud
In Mud We Trust

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Because, in my opinion, many of the wheels out there are overstyled, ghetto-ized, blingity bling bling urban horrors that look ridiculous on an 84 Monte Carlo let alone a 2010-12 Camaro.

Wheels have become the gold tooth grill. So instead of complementing the car, it takes over the car, dominating in such a way so as to show the whole world you overpaid for your pimped out tight aight rimz.

But there are some good looking aftermarket wheels that evoke the musclecar look of the Camaro.

But then again, that's just my opinion.
-American Racing Torq Thrust/Anthracite
-CAI Intake
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I love my stock RS wheels.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
That's your opinion.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
I agree op ... Thats why i bought some 22' chrome replicas :-)
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 View Post
I agree op ... Thats why i bought some 22' chrome replicas :-)
I like those and in time want a set as an extra set for cruising.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
I am hoping someday I see something in a picture or real life that I like. I do agree that even though you might have paid half of the cars worth in rims it doesn't make it look any better. Sometimes its even worse. Post up a pic of the 22 replicas if you have one please.
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I actually loved the stockers years back and the first two years of ownership, but the look is beginning to wear on me...

I believe many people change because it is a relatively easy switch and the look is drastically changed.. if you do the swap when you are due for new rubber anyways, it isn't too terribly priced in comparison to other mods.

It also gives your car some personality to you. I don't like the "blingity bling bling" I believe it was referred too lol... but a nice mesh set of wheels or a different 5 spoke makes your Camaro look truly personalized and custom to you....

That is why I am over the stock wheels. But overall the RS/SS wheel rims are some of the best looking wheels on any factory vehicle...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Intimidator333

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Inferno Orange.
I completely agree with you my friend. Most of the aftermarkets for the Camaro are either ghettoized or Euro sports car looking. I'm looking for something sort of retro muscle car but yet modern enough to go well with the 5th gen Camaro. There are lots of wheels I have found that fit this description but they do not fit our Camaros. The one I'm thinking about getting are the American Racing Burnouts VN472. They are brand new and I can't get any pics of them on a new Camaro yet. I have to agree that the stock wheel does look really good and way better than most aftermarkets offered for this car. Most make me want to puke.
Intimidator333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Wizzer...I been saying that for a long time. There is very very few if any aftermarket rims that I see that look as good or better than the stock RS wheels....the problem is that now these wheels are common place.

For me, the ZL1 rims are the only ones I've seen that I like better. That goes for both the 5 spoke and the SSX styled ones (although I'd have to have them in polished, not black) but GM wants a ridiculous amount of money for them.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I really like my stock polished rims too and I'm not looking to upgrade, but I really like the look of the Hurst Stunner rims. If i were to upgrade... that's what I'd probably go with.

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I love my Polished 20's, only other wheels I would want for Bogarts
Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzer View Post
I might be alone in this thought but I have just spent an hour looking at posts here with rims. I can not find any that look better than stock RS/SS rims.

When I first saw the RS rims I was blown away. It looked like someone snatched them right off the HOTWHEELS cars that I played with in my youth.

I like the protruding mags that pop out of the stock rims. Does anyone have anything they bought/saw that look like that in an aftermarket product?

The only reason I am looking for an upgrade is my camaro rims look like everyone else. I am hoping there is something I missed that is an upgrade of the stock ones in visual flair.
You're not alone in this...but I think you are quite in the minority in thinking that none "look better than stock RS/SS" wheels. Many 5th gen owners like other wheels than the standard RS/SS wheels.

I myself really like the stock RS/SS wheels and think they look great and "super clean" on the 5th gen. But, I also think that there are soooooo many Camaros with those it's nice to have some "other" wheels that set the car apart from Camaros with the basic stock wheels.

Yeah, I've seen some wheels that I don't like and that definitely are not for me on these cars...but I have seen so many Camaros on this site with aftermarket wheels that add to the car and make them look so much better than with the stock wheels.

Take the ZL1 for example. I see tons of threads and posts on how much people like the new black 10 spoke or even polished 5 spoke wheels and where they can purchase them.

There are so many options to go with and it makes this website so much more fun to browse and see the options people go with....some good and some really bad, haha....but mostly good .

I throw in the obligatory......this is all just my opinion, of course.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote