Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
LookingGlass
Future Chevy Owner

Drives: Impatiently waiting!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to LookingGlass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about teaching my Fiance on my M6 and a quite a few people ringed in that I was insane to let a woman drive my manual. I thought the comments and arguements were quite silly. She's learning very well. Yes she had never driven a manual before, but we all need to learn sometime.

Maybe its the whole "muscle" aspect of macho bs syndrom. I do find it humorous though that people with syndrom stay away from "strong" women. My girl is smart, beautiful and strong. She could kick the sh*t out of most of the guys she comes across. And I like that

I demanded that my first car be a manual, and I've been driving one ever since! I have even since learned how to drift
LookingGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
It's not that men are better at it. I think most women just don't enjoy the fun/adrenline rush factor of a manual. They either prefer the comfort and ease of an auto or just never had the desire to learn.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Bad drivers are bad drivers. I've seen my share of both men & women bad drivers.

Worst driver I ever drove with was a guy in drivers ed years back. This guy had the coordination of an amoeba. Even worse, any time the instructer told him to turn right, he'd turn left immediately way before the actual turn, and the instructer would have to slam on the brakes to keep him from going off the road. Even worse, he could not drive in a straight line, so it was like being with a drunk driver but worse. I don't think this guy ever passed his drivers license in the next couple of years (thank God).

Of course, it can be amusing sometimes even if the stereotype is wrong:

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
"Ours" is a manual, and it's my wife's fair-weather, daily driver.

Decision was simple, pay more money for an automatic - and get less horsepower,

ah....NO!
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
balthazar

Drives: Black 2SS/RS w/Ground Effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC'D View Post
I have read on several threads men talking about not letting their wives/girlfriends drive their Camaros because it is a stick. Or that they bought the M6 just so she couldn’t drive it. My first manual transmission was an ’85 Z28 that my dad taught me to drive. I think every woman should know how to drive one. I plan on teaching my daughter this summer with my SS.
But my question is why do you think having that extra appendage makes a man a better at driving a manual?
So your sexist question is why are we sexist?

Way to go.

For the record I've taught two girls to drive stick, both I taught on my 350Z.

Thats right, this extra appendage owner taught two FEMALES (*gaspshockhorror*) to drive stick in a sports car!!!

It's no less ignorant because it's coming from a girl btw.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I've known several women that drive stick. Never thought of it as men being better at it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #21
jgleason
skidogdad

Drives: 2009 BMW 550i
My daughter learned to drive in my 98 Wrangler 5sp. When I went to order the Camaro, I asked her if we should get a manual or auto(I was get the manual no matter what ) She said manual all the way. " only a wimp would drive an auto Camaro". She drives the car 75% of the time, and I'll bet over half the boys in her school can't drive stick! Most of the guys are like " you can drive stick?".

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
IROC'D
Momma's Happy....

Drives: 2SS,M6,Summit White, gray int
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar View Post

Way to go.

Thats right, this extra appendage owner taught two FEMALES (*gaspshockhorror*) to drive stick in a sports car!!!

I'm sorry I didn't realize I was being sexist. I was posing the question to the guys who all say that women can't or shouldn't be allowed to drive stick. I've read quite a few threads on this forum where those exact words have been said and everytime it really irks me as to why any man thinks that just because he's male means that he can drive better than a woman. You taught your daughters to drive a manual good for you. My dad taught me too, it was a great father/daughter bonding experience.

2010 2SS Ordered 7/20/09
Delivered 10/1/2009!!!!!
IROC'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
Anybody that has 2 feet can drive a stick. Most imports used to be sticks, my wife drove stick for many years. My aunt drives an 18 wheeler. I think this type of mentality is mainly from kids who think you need Nascar skills to push in a clutch and move the shifter for some reason.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
zq8colorado04

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
When my fiance was looking for a Jeep about a month or 2 ago I tried to teach her how to drive stick on my Camaro. 2 hours and MANY MANY stalls later....she said she'd just have to find a used automatic Jeep.

In a way it's good, because I'll be the only 1 to ever drive the car anywhere when we get married...but it would be nice and a little more convenient sometimes if she could drive my car.
3400: 05/12/09
3800: 05/25/09
4200: 05/28/09
5000: 06/09/09
6000: 06/09/09
VIN# A9111943

2SS/RS Black on Black with LS3 and a 6-speed Manual

15% Window Tint
CAI
StainlessWorks Catback Exhaust
BMR 1.4" lowering springs
zq8colorado04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
camaroincarolina

Drives: 1SS Aqua Blue Metallic
Ya'll are killing me with this post! I am a woman and drive a stick Camaro SS and wouldn't have it any other way.....my niece's both drive a stick....are there really women out there besides my grandmother that can't drive a stick???
camaroincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #26
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar View Post

Way to go.

Its not sexist, just an obvious observation. Very obvious. Post a thread 3 weeks from now (when everyone has forgotten about this thread) about a woman/girlfriend/wife driving your M6 and see for yourself the how many responses are overtly sexist. The jerk ratio of replies will be about 4 to 1. Not to mention the inevitable comments comparing the gear shifter to a penis and how its the only thing they can "drive"... its so far beyond lame its sad. But I just shake my head and move on.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
soverydeb

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro Blk/Blk
I learned to drive stick on my '68 VW Beetle when I was 15 years old (don't bother doing the math, I'm not THAT old), and haven't looked back. Taught my daughter to drive a stick when she turned 15. I believe it's important to be able to jump into ANY car and be able to drive it. You never know what life throws at you, so it's good to be prepared. I also enjoy driving a stick, I feel I'm in control of the car, and not the other way around!! That's my 2 cents.
soverydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Hawkeye
I am Iron Man

Drives: LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal View Post
I think this type of mentality is mainly from kids who think you need Nascar skills to push in a clutch and move the shifter for some reason.
Dont forget turning left
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote