Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #57
Xp0gam3r

Drives: '15 2SS 1LE; '10 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
The 2011 will be produced before I make up my mind. I could have had two cars built already.

Thanks for all your feedback.

The car is my daily driver but I work from home and don't put any many miles a day. All just locally to the gym, food shopping, etc. Sheesh. I'm not cheap by any means but don't like being wasteful either.
whichever makes you feel happier! for me the 2LT/RS does the job as of now! maybe in 5 or longer years time il go for a bigger engine, but the engine in the V6 maro is damn strong and good for the price!
Xp0gam3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #58
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Thank you. Rest assured though, i WILL have another Camaro someday
ah, it all makes sense now . . . . sorry for rubbing salt in the wound!

if it makes you feel any better, I'm still driving a Camry . . . for similar reasons
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #59
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
ah, it all makes sense now . . . . sorry for rubbing salt in the wound!
heheh, no problem man
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #60
Analogy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
I considered a 2LT/RS but ended up ordering a 1SS/RS as it was just a little bit more and I could get the V8. Honestly even without all bells and whistels I am completely satisfied. It is my daily driver black on black. I probably would have got a different color now that I have had to spend so much time cleaning it now lol.

I actually was going to sell it and get something cheaper for awhile as I hate having to make payments, but getting a big raise at work changed my mind. The only thing I worry about is when I finally do get a speeding ticket as I cannot keep my foot out of this thing :( .

Also fuel costs aren't that bad for me personally since 80% of my commute is on the highway. I get about 20-21 mpg all around, not bad considering I drive it like I stole it.

Ordered 1SS/RS 3-2-09 1100
2000 4-24-09
2500 4-29-09
3000 4-30-09
3300 5-22-09
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #61
Metal Camaro

Drives: The beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
rad, I think it comes down to more than just showmanship with the 2SS. I think more members on C5 aren't willing to admit, or even considered what owning a 2SS meant other than a deeper/louder exhaust note and muscle car bragging rights. To be honest, if that was your intention all along for the SS, that is pretty shallow. Looks like a huge ego fight going on here without any constructive advice as to WHY rad would need an SS. Why would ANYBODY really need an SS unless it is a life changing experience, which it isn't. Let's be honest with ourselves.

I think what members need to be asking you, rad, is WHY are you on the fence about the V8 and V6, and what are you expecting from your Camaro? As a daily driver, you had better plan to shell out big bucks for gas. Depending on travel distance,frequency and how hard you drive the SS, you could easily shell out the better part of $100.00 a week.

I make no apologies for my decision to get a 2SS. This decision was made ultimately before 2000 when I could actually afford a Camaro but couldn't afford a V8. In this part in my life, I can afford to have a 2SS strictly as a weekend vehicle. My logic is that I wanted to purchase the best available, take care of the vehicle for possible posterity, have fun modding it over the years and still have a killer looking car on the road for many, many years to come. It is an early mid-life crisis vehicle, as it is project I look forward to working on gradually. These guys want to blow out the engine and waste thousands of dollars on tires at the track in a single day, that is their prerogative. I personally find it wasteful and they probably have bottomless wallets to support their hobbies in this regard. It just isn't for me.

If you have the income to support gas consumption, the facts that you cannot get a full-sized or even a spare tire for an SS, paying for over-rated, expensive Pirelli P-Zeros roughly every 10K miles (many members here got less out of them and they cannot be rotated), expensive Brembo brakes, and anything else exclusive to the SS model, I think you are going to be in well over your head. If my car needed any of those accessories, I could afford to wait until I had the money because my Cobalt SS/SC is my daily driver.

I think you need to decide what category your Camaro will be in: Practicality or Sheer Performance. Keep in mind what each category brings as performance is going to cost you much more to upkeep than practicality. The rest is up to you. Good luck and this decision shouldn't be nearly as complicated as it sounds.
DkknightX, You are basically in the same EXACT mind set as me. Your whole situation is the same one im in. I've been telling people im having a very early mid-life crisis and the camaro will be my answer for many years because its going to be a project. Thankfully I have a 06 KIA SPECTRA that gets amazing gas mileage and once I get my camaro late spring it will basically be weekends only(spring/summer more often on great days) and im doing this to keep everything in good shape for my future modding.

I like how you think bro...made me smile that someone else here is thinking like myself.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #62
Darsh 007

Drives: 2010 Camaro - 2LT
Rad, the other question is what do you want to do with it? Do you plan to head to the track at all? I love my 2LT/RS, and I'm starting to lean towards trying to take her to the track. I've (shockingly) even leaned away from the motorcycle to the 'maro. Had my first drag race a couple of weeks ago, and beat out a 2010 Hyundai TTI. Also had a mustang GT try to throw down on the highway a couple of months after I bought her, and he lost miserably. Even the V6 is a killer. I'd highly recommend a manual, just for the sheer fun factor when you do something crazy with your hair on fire. And you will. She practically begs you to. The V8 just ups the desire even more. I occasionally wonder if I'd have even more fun with the V8, but I've yet to experience any regrets on the V6. She's hellasweet!
2000 = Accepted By GM: 7/25/2009
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 7/29/2009
3800 = Produced: 8/31/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 9/14/2009
6000 = Woohoo!!!: 9/15/2009
Darsh 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #63
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
imho, if you can't afford to buy the premium gas the SS takes (or to fill it up WITH that gas a little more often), then the SS should be a car that you take out on nice days or every once in a while, while keeping something more practical and fuel efficient for your daily driving purposes.
my SS gets better milage than my other vehicle does. (19avg vs. 10avg) and my other vehicle is an I6
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #64
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I wish a would have gotten a camry instead. I like that unintended acceleration option they have.
yeah, keeps things interesting!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #65
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
yeah, keeps things interesting!
yah, who said Toyotas can't be exciting?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #66
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I went with the 1LT. I didn't need the leather interior so I passed on the 2LT. But I did not go for the SS models, because they just would not be practical for me. I have a TSX right now, and average 22/34 EPA on premium gas, but I still can't stand spending money on premium. I would probably shoot myself in the head if I had to put premium in the SS that has 18/26 EPA.

LT model if you are considering practicality.
SS model if you don't care for maintenance costs or the mileage.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #67
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I just have to say this. I'm sick and tired of all the comments about how you should get a v8, you will regret it if you don't get a v8. blah blah. It's really amazing to see peoples insecurity. I had someone tell me once "No v8 = fail"

I won't take grief from anyone, but expecially someone who got or would purchase a v8 automatic. You want to talk about fail? V8 automatic. Say all you want about my 2LT as I have more than enough fun in my v6 manual.

However, buying v8 automatic you paid more for less horsepower (when comparted to the V8 manual). I'm sorry but that is too funny! Telling someone who has a v6 that it isn't that much more to get more horses, and yet paying more to have less than the v8 manual. So if someone tells me how they went all out and got the biggest horsepower car, and that I should have done it, they had better have gotten the V8 manual.

I drove the v6 and knew it was way more than enough car for me. The nice long trip down to Florida and the fact that the car didn't struggle at all in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee let me know this was the right choice. Plus I got 27.5 MPG on the long trip.

Watch the threads and you'll see all the excuses and justifications for the decisions, but in the end it is what fits you. I respect all Camaro drivers if respect is given, just know the v6 manual is more than fine for me.

I'll tell you this, I never considered a 2SS, my experience is that there is more than enough people telling me I HAD to get a V8.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #68
Lazertoast

Drives: TORMENT - 2SS / M6 / Black on Black
I absolutely love my SS and would not consider purchasing the V6. If money were the issue, I would wait until I had enough down payment to make up the difference. I don't mean any disrepect to LT owners as they are all beautiful cars, but to me a Camaro is a V-8 muscle car and that's all it should be.
Lazertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #69
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I wanted a 2LT but they don't offer an in-line 6 with a 3-speed on the column
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #70
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
yah, who said Toyotas can't be exciting?
Wife has a 2008 Camry. Nobody said they weren't exciting or good cars. Just horrible to look at.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote