Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
xm sounds weak. Some store bought cd's weak too, some sound decent. All homemade cd's ROCK. Plenty of bass and cranks w/out distortion or rattle.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #30
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
xm sounds weak. Some store bought cd's weak too, some sound decent. All homemade cd's ROCK. Plenty of bass and cranks w/out distortion or rattle.

I have a 2014 2LT RS so I don't have the CD player sadly
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
Maybe you don't realize it, but EQ settings are unique to each music source. You definitely need different settings for XM and CDs vs Radio.

Antique CDs are weak (some are just about useless), but anything recorded or re-mastered in the last 10 years has plenty of volume and dynamic range.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #32
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Maybe you don't realize it, but EQ settings are unique to each music source. You definitely need different settings for XM and CDs vs Radio.

Antique CDs are weak (some are just about useless), but anything recorded or re-mastered in the last 10 years has plenty of volume and dynamic range.

I am aware and the xm doesn't thump no matter the setting. New and remastered cd's are still hit or miss. When recording on my Dinosauric cd burner/recorder I can raise the record level and all homemade discs sound REAL good in the car.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #33
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I agree. It sounds good if it was called the base stereo equipment. As a big upgrade it isn't to my ears.
I added the OEM optional kicker powered sub I put in a thread, here is an example of it:
https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-SCAMA1.../dp/B00IFA8JU0
Hey silversleeper, got a link to your install thread?
Is the installation pretty straight forward?
Those kickers aren't cheap at $570+
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #34
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecruiser View Post
My thought's exactly...not cheap. Though I have experienced it in an acquaintance's Camaro, and it sounded great. I imagine a lot of the cost is attributed to the custom fit? Either way...I still want one, and it's on my wish list haha.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #35
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The EQ has to be set differently for Bluetooth, but once that's done, it will sound as good as a wired connection.
Not in my experience. There was no way to bring the system back from what the Bluetooth did in my 2011. Now, in my 2013 Chevy Malibu, the Bluetooth sounds darn close to using the USB. Not as good mind you, but way closer than what I experience in my 2011 Camaro.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #36
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Not in my experience. There was no way to bring the system back from what the Bluetooth did in my 2011. Now, in my 2013 Chevy Malibu, the Bluetooth sounds darn close to using the USB. Not as good mind you, but way closer than what I experience in my 2011 Camaro.
In my 2010, the EQ settings are unique to each source: radio, XM, USB, and Bluetooth. There's also a 1/8" jack, but I've never used it so can't comment.

Also worth mentioning that unlike USB, bluetooth output from your source includes the source's EQ and volume settings. I have found that turning off the EQ in my iPod and turning its volume all the way up results in the clearest sound.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #37
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergarr View Post
Not a fan. My 2005 monte carlo has better bass Only thing im really jealous about the 6th gen camaro is that they went to bose. Our 2003 Tahoe has bose and it sounds so much better.
My 1996 Camaro SS had a stock Bose system (i.e. all the SS had them). I will tell anyone that I know that to date say this is the best stock unit I have ever heard. The base was high quality for a stock system.
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #38
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I think the BA system is just fine... for me anyway. In my experience the cd player sounds the best. I have tinnitus from years of industrial noise at work and playing in bands and regret not taking precautions. Consequently I don't crank 'er up like I used to. Besides, I'd rather spend my bucks on performance mods than upgrading a perfectly good sound system.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #39
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryfied View Post
I think the BA system is just fine... for me anyway. In my experience the cd player sounds the best. I have tinnitus from years of industrial noise at work and playing in bands and regret not taking precautions. Consequently I don't crank 'er up like I used to. Besides, I'd rather spend my bucks on performance mods than upgrading a perfectly good sound system.
Amen.

EQ was invented by Mitch Miller (‘Sing Along with Mitch’) to compensate for poor and different room acoustics. So theoretically, you could set the EQ for your ‘room’, your Camaro and leave it. But people soon discovered they could use an EQ to suit their tastes. And since every recording is different - now throw in CD, MP3, XM, radio, etc., and you could make the case that EQ could be tweaked for every medium AND song. It’s individual taste.

I prolly lost anyone here younger than 55!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #40
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
I think mine is great, but I wear hearing aids, so what the hell do I know. It is better than my last 2012 which didn't have it, just the base stereo.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #41
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecruiser View Post
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540498
I ordered it online through a GM parts or something place that deals chevy parts. Took a few weeks for it to arrive to them and ship.
The included instructions are poor. Headscratching without the pics I posted e.g. the rubber mounting stud and upper bracket. Then DIY stuff like notching the battery post cover and tire cover and how to route the wires with zipties. Other companies like RotoFab cai has complete color pics instructions AND a good product. This is only the good product and a complete kit including wiring.

Last edited by silversleeper; 01-08-2019 at 03:56 PM.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #42
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I gave it the sound test last night. I used a CD player via the USB and aux jack ports. A quality digital recording sounds great. Could it use a sub? Probably, but again, what real world instrument is it reproducing? Maybe an Ampeg bass stack in the hands of Michael Anthony in the original Van Halen lineup but...all the other instruments would have to be at the same sound level too. And there is simply no way to reproduce EVH on one of his signature guitars and a line of 5150 amps - through a 100,000 watt* PA system, in a Camaro! IMO.

*The Who used a 120,000 watt system on a 2002 tour
120,000 watts in unimagineable.i have to take my 50 watt peavy outside on order to crank it...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote