Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
mine have been faded for a long time I am going to paint them I cant believe they would cover that under warranty?

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Really!? Are you guys serious?! No wonder dealers cringe when people come in for warranty work. Anything exposed to the elements and high heat are expected to fade, discolor or rust. Wow!
I mean, its cool they are replacing them for you, but they dont have to.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Really!? Are you guys serious?! No wonder dealers cringe when people come in for warranty work. Anything exposed to the elements and high heat are expected to fade, discolor or rust. Wow!
I mean, its cool they are replacing them for you, but they dont have to.

I see, so you would spend $45,000 on a NEW NEVER TITLED vehicle that has a defect in the appearance and not say a word or expect it to be corrected? How is this different from buying a new car that has a serious paint defect, like someone keying it? or maybe a torn seat cover? or a curbed or bent wheel?

Would you buy a car with any of those defects and not expect it to be corrected, or expect to correct it on your dime? I think not!

It's one thing if I did it after I bought the car, something completely different that it was this way before I purchased the vehicle and it was discussed during the deal and agreed upon that it would be corrected by GM as a condition of the deal.

As such YES they do have to fix it..

The dealer attempted to warranty it, which I don't blame them, it is a defect in the quality of the vehicle from the factory, GM denied the warranty basing it on damage done by wheel washing chemicals, as such the dealer being an honest and trustworthy shop is taking care of it on their dime. They are attempting to save money by re-finishing the calipers for probably $200-$300 as opposed to replacing all of them for $2000, I can't fault that line of thinking either. Regardless of what is done, they are holding up their end of our agreed upon deal, and they left the decision in my hands, I can choose to get factory replacements or have my existing powder-coated, the choice is mine, and they will honor any GM warranty if I chose the powdercoat, this has also been discussed.. If something happens to the calipers and they need replacing during the 3/36k the dealer is agreeing in writing to honor the OEM warranty and re-powder the replacements if it is needed on their dime.

I have owned several cars with Brembo OEM brakes and this is the first time I have ever seen this type of discoloration, even after 6 years of ownership my Chrysler Brembos had no discoloration, just a horrible amount of brake dust.. The problem is how GM originally prepared the calipers, there is no clear coat protection on them to guard against this type of problem.

The bottom line here though is that YES they do have to fix the problem, as it was part of the terms and conditions of the sale.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
Avenging Orange

Is there a hole in your caliper? Is it cracked? Is it broken to a point it does not function? No? Then I believe your comparison doesnt hold water. And I was unclear it was like that upon purchase....You didnt clearly state such. And, if it was like that at purchase (as anal as you appear) then why accept the car to begin with. Brakes are for stopping not a fashion statement. Mine are faded as well......do I care? No. And if I did, I believe I'd simply pain them. If your dealer warrants them, good for you.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Is there a hole in your caliper? Is it cracked? Is it broken to a point it does not function? No? Then I believe your comparison doesnt hold water. And I was unclear it was like that upon purchase....You didnt clearly state such. And, if it was like that at purchase (as anal as you appear) then why accept the car to begin with. Brakes are for stopping not a fashion statement. Mine are faded as well......do I care? No. And if I did, I believe I'd simply pain them. If your dealer warrants them, good for you.
had you read the first post, it was made very clear that it was like that from the day I picked up the car..

and maybe to you appearance doesn't matter, and if I had solid wheels like the vehicles of yesteryear I probably wouldn't care, but being I have 5 spoke open wheels, that the Brembos are designed for a specific look, and that like most people on this forum I bought the vehicle to mod with appearance in mind, so yup it bothers me.

And my comparison holds plenty of water, scratched paint doesn't affect function, a torn seat doesn't affect function, a curbed wheel doesn't affect function and a discolored caliper doesn't affect function.

But I work hard for my paycheck and forking over $45K for a vehicle with a dealer inflicted flaw that is a result of a factory defect isn't something I will sit idly by and ignore. You might, I won't.

As for why I accepted the vehicle, simple, again as stated it was agreed upon when I picked up the vehicle that it would be corrected. The dealer is standing by their word.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
ayceman

Drives: 2007 Dodge Charger SXT, 2010 2SS
Delillo Chevrolet I am having their Body shop repair my front end damage and install a 1LE front splitter, since you state that you know the Dealership well how is the service department there? I was thinking of having them look at my lifter tapping issue for my L99 engine as well. I used to own a Dodge Charger did you used to go to the Beach Burger Meets?
ayceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayceman View Post
Delillo Chevrolet I am having their Body shop repair my front end damage and install a 1LE front splitter, since you state that you know the Dealership well how is the service department there? I was thinking of having them look at my lifter tapping issue for my L99 engine as well. I used to own a Dodge Charger did you used to go to the Beach Burger Meets?
yup used to go to beach burger all the time.. but not since 2010 when I traded in my 300c.

sent you a pm on the other stuff.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Avenging Orange

Just because I like messing with anal people, I'll respond one last time.
A paint scratch is outside appearance and is just that....paint for beauty. A seat torn is again outward appearance and damaged. A caliper is to apply pressure to brake pads and not a cosmetic item. But, yes, I do see your point.
And I will say, you preempted the post with how you never use chemicals on your wheels.....made it sound like it happen after you bought the car.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Just because I like messing with anal people, I'll respond one last time.
A paint scratch is outside appearance and is just that....paint for beauty. A seat torn is again outward appearance and damaged. A caliper is to apply pressure to brake pads and not a cosmetic item. But, yes, I do see your point.
And I will say, you preempted the post with how you never use chemicals on your wheels.....made it sound like it happen after you bought the car.

I'm not anal, Anal retentiveness is defined as someone who is obsessed with attention to detail to the point of annoyance.

I just take pride in myself and my property.. perhaps it's the several years of being in the USMC, maybe it's being raised by a Lt. Col in the US Army.

This isn't a case of being anal, this is a case a well known cosmetic defect in the GM brand, that for the most part GM feels it needs to blame the customer for the failure. When a dozen people experience it, yeah probably the customers fault, when just about all customers experience it and the dealer has a lot full of vehicles with the issue, at that point it is a manufacturing issue.

I work in an industry where far less than this is considered to be a defect.

But we can agree to disagree, the calipers on these cars are very much a cosmetic item, especially with open spoked wheels. Otherwise GM would not have gone thru the process of coloring them and placing the Chevrolet and Brembo logos on them.

if it was this type of caliper, I concede your point:

but as they are this style, which are designed for form and function, so they are very much cosmetic as well as functional.

and this:

is unacceptable on a new vehicle that had near zero miles on purchase.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
I vote a glossy powder coat. Pick your favorite color. I would avoid Red (looks like an LE1 AKA stock) Black (hard to see) or Grey (again stock looking). Glossy will be easier to clean and will look good for a long time. Matte will hold dirt and be harder to keep clean.

for the dealer fixing this!!!

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

They redid them in stock coloring, the point behind that being if there is any further issue they can still be warrantied and replaced and match.

I bought some Camaro SS/Brembo caliper vinyls online and they put them on for me as well. I didn't realize the SS was the silverado SS logo, and not the newer more rounded Camaro SS logo, but it's not that big of a deal to me.. I'm guessing 99% of the people that see it wouldn't even know there was a difference.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Get with Mike the Powdercoater. He does awesome work!!
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote